***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,179,695 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crane agreed to buy the Astros for $685 million. Selig came in and said "We are altering the deal" and moving the team to the AL as a condition of league approval for any sale. Crane (justifiably IMO) went back and got the price lowered to $615 million.
Gramercy Riffs
AG

Quote:

The move to the AL was forced on him by MLB as part of the purchase.

Quote:

You didn't immediately like the changes to the uniforms and logo?
Yes, I'm aware that the move was part of the deal. And my feelings about the uniforms and logo had more to do with making a change in general, which is how it ties in with my post about Crane. I wasn't seeing the changes for what they were. I was looking at it as an outsider coming in and messing with my team. He could have changed absolutely anything and my reaction would have been the same. "What do you mean you want to give me four free tickets on my birthday? Screw you, Crane... you don't get a vote." Losing a lot only reinforced my irrational opinion at the time. And the tv thing was the worst. Being terrible on the field, not understanding why, and not even being able to watch... not a good combination.
Ag_07
AG
bobinator said:

I loved this as soon as it was announced they'd be changing.

I'm still adamant that any brick red paraphernalia should not be allowed in MMP, confiscated, and sent to an incinerator. Those unis are awful.
Charlie Conway
The brick red wasn't that bad at the time, but the new uniforms are really good and make them look worse than they are in retrospect
BTKAG97
AG
Ag_07 said:

bobinator said:

I'm still adamant that any brick red paraphernalia should not be allowed in MMP, confiscated, and sent to an incinerator. Those unis are awful.
And yet the brick red unies are far better than this garbage.

JDUB08AG
AG
I actually liked all the Astro's uniform combos over the years. If I had to put it in order of preference it would be...

1) Current
2) Tequila sunrise
3) Blue/Gold
4) Shooting star
5) Brick Red

We had some really fun teams and runs in the brick red, so I can't look down on those too much. As a city, we had to endure the Rocket with teeth logo so anything in comparison is pretty solid.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I don't have strong feelings about any of the uniforms from tequila sunrise to present day. I just didn't want to change logos every other year. I like the current setup.
Farmer1906
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Ag_07 said:

bobinator said:

Charlie Conway
BTKAG97 said:

Ag_07 said:

bobinator said:

bullard21k
AG
1900hurricane said:

Regarding the Cole trade, Moran has gotten off to a bit of a slow start, but hit a grand slam against the Twin's Lynn today.

That was a good trade for Pittsburgh and Houston both imo.

They weren't going to be contenders this year and got 3 major league ready players. Feliez has top echelon stuff just has zero control and quite frankly I think should be a starter...place like Pittsburgh will allow him to do that and see if he can ever figure out mechanics. Tough to "work" through mechanic issues and new pitches on a World Series contending roster where every game matters

If moran is on any other roster than ours I think he would make someone's 25 man roster last year imo.
agproducer
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Ag_07 said:

bobinator said:

The blue and gold was solid.

The pinstripes were absolutely terrible. I didn't mind the red brick -- just the pinstripes. The Astros will never be the Yankees, nor do we want them to be.

Here is the proper order of Astros unis, imo:

1. Current (Crane and Co. knocked it out of the park with the look)
2. Rainbows
3. Blue and Gold
4. Colts
5. Shooting Star
6. Red brick
Frok
AG
The brick red unis were really bad the first couple years but then they at least got rid of these bad combinations.

Going back to the orange and blue was great.

mazag08
AG
Got Damn. $30-$40 for parking.
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

What do you expect?

Supply & Demand
mazag08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mazag08 said:

What do you expect?

Supply & Demand

I'm not complaining
bobinator
AG
Frok said:

Going back to the orange and blue was great.
I've joked about this on here before, but I've always wondered how much money was spent on an ad agency or PR firm or whatever to focus group new unis/logos etc all to basically land on:

"Hey you know the look they used to have that people loved, what if we just go with that?"
Person B: "Like, just bring back all the old stuff?"
"Yeah, people really like it. We'll make some updates, but basically yes."
B: "Okay... well what about the mascot? Are we doing anything with that?"
"What was that one people really liked in the 90's?"
B: "The green guy? Orbit."
"Yeah, bring him back too. But like a cute version that kids will love. And I think we're done here."

Like as soon as I saw the new stuff in 2013 it was like "Oh, well yeah, obviously."
mazag08
AG
Yeah I hope we never change the standard unis.

Texans are due a huge overall. Most boring in the league.
mazag08
AG
Judging by the festivities around the stadium.. MMP gonna be drunk tonight.
WES2006AG
AG
mazag08 said:

Yeah I hope we never change the standard unis.

Texans are due a huge overall. Most boring in the league.

Texans will never change. Bob loves boring, he lives for it.
Bryan98
AG
The most important part of the uniform is keeping the star H logo. There is no logo in the world that screams Houston that like that one does.

The current unis are pretty great, although I think the whites are boring. I like the blues with rainbow the best, then it's probably the oranges edging out the greys, and the whites are last. Still not bad, but definitely last for me.
Teddy Perkins
AG
mazag08 said:

Judging by the festivities around the stadium.. MMP gonna be drunk tonight.
Yup, choppers circling and fans already in their seats.
WES2006AG
AG
I like everything about our current jerseys except the solid orange. Would love to see the solid orange completely replaced by a solid navy top.
Post removed:
by user
tjack16
AG
I think our current uniform set is great, however the only change I'd make is when we wear the navy jerseys... we should get rid of those awful orange hats. Keep it navy jersey/navy caps and that combo would be perfect.
Frok
AG
We won the World Series with this look so it should stay relatively the same FOREVER now.

Just like how the Rockets should go back to red & gold like they wore when they won their titles. (With an updated font of course)

WES2006AG
AG
dlance said:

WES2006AG said:

I like everything about our current jerseys except the solid orange. Would love to see the solid orange completely replaced by a solid navy top.
Blasphemer!

I know some of our biggest wins have come in the orange, but it's just so much orange.
JJxvi
AG
I would add some form of the shooting star to the whites
bobinator
AG
I think the orange is actually my favorite uni. But I like it being relatively rare. I like that it's the "big and bright friday night" uni, for example.

I also like when we break out the rainbows on occasion for throwbacks.
Post removed:
by user
mazag08
AG
Beer is flowing boys
klsmith89
AG
Ugh were still trying to get to the stadium
CFTXAG10
AG
My body is ready
CFTXAG10
AG
Wrong emoji. Drunk already.
DVC2010
AG
WES2006AG said:

dlance said:

WES2006AG said:

Blasphemer!

I know some of our biggest wins have come in the orange, but it's just so much orange.

Back in 2015, I remember hearing that the team loved the orange uniforms and wore them as often as the league would allow down the stretch.
ClickClack
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

iBrad said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Quote:

The following night, owner Jim Crane has arranged for the team to distribute 900 World Series rings to everyone from Jose Altuve to the coaches to the stadium ushers and even some long-term and loyal season-ticket holders.
I didn't really feel like giving this guy a chance six years ago. Turns out he's a pretty damn good owner.
Crane has done a great job of hiring the right people and letting them do their jobs.
Agreed, but I'm talking about more than the results. When he first took over, I thought of him as part of the problem. Just another thing I didn't like about the way things were changing. Moved to the AL, changed the uniforms and logo, I can't watch the games on tv, our lineup looks like the spring training roster from Major League, and we've got an owner who smiles after every loss. Dude is all about the bottom line and doesn't care about winning and blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm not afraid to say that I was way wrong on that stuff. First of all, it didn't take long to grow to love every one of those changes, and by now we obviously all understand the losing part. But he seems like a pretty good guy too. I guess it was just fear of the unknown. No one in their right mind would prefer Uncle Drayton, but at the time I thought I did.

I'll never get why people characterized crane that way. It was said on the season threads on here a lot and a lot of people ran with it as fact despite there being no real evidence of that other than a justifiably low payroll as we rebuilt.

It was actually really asinine how people ran with that idea. What owner doesn't want his team to be successful? Success = money. Not to mention pride, which I'd argue every owner has.
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.