*****Official Texas Rangers 2018 Season Thread*****

336,676 Views | 4317 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mr Gigem
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw the highlight in the astros - sox game. Houston got screwed, Betts is going into the stands there.
agent-maroon
AG
That's a darn shame. Did they have someone filming it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck Compton
AG
xjrayx
AG
Schall 02 said:

1. Kershaw wins WS with LA.
2. Kershaw opts out.
3. Rangers bring him home.
4. Joy ensues.
I want this so badly
PacifistAg
AG
PatAg said:

Just saw the highlight in the astros - sox game. Houston got screwed, Betts is going into the stands there.
They did get screwed. I don't think his glove was over the wall by much, but once it was called interference, there is certainly not enough evidence to overturn it. It was one of those plays that would have been impossible to overturn however it was called. That said...

1) Joe West is literally the worst umpire in the history of the game. Just unbearable. 2) One of my closest friends and I were talking after they traded for Osuna and how trading for a guy currently suspended for beating a woman is a quick way to anger the baseball gods. Getting busted cheating, whether others do it or not, is a quick way to anger the baseball gods. Bregman talking trash on social media during the playoffs is a quick way to anger the baseball gods. When it comes to baseball, I get very superstitious. Obviously I don't believe there are real "baseball gods", but they do seem to be having the breaks go against them, including Osuna giving up 5 runs in .2 IP.
94chem
The Astros are also playing with house money. Like when the refs screwed the Cowboys a couple of times against SF in the '95 NFC title game. Yeah, it stunk, but the back to back SB before that made it more bearable.
Disco Stu
AG
Quote:

Joe West is literally the worst umpire in the history of the game.

Angel Hernandez says "Hi"
PacifistAg
AG
Disco Stu said:

Quote:

Joe West is literally the worst umpire in the history of the game.

Angel Hernandez says "Hi"
Fair point. They're running neck and neck, imo. Not sure how either of them have kept their jobs this long. And unfortunately, I'm assuming West will be in the HOF discussion, at least, given that he'll retire with the most games umped in history. I have no idea what kind of metrics voters refer to for umpires though.
94chem
One other thought - when you build a stadium where the fans can easily reach into the field of play, you deserve to get screwed over. I remember when Baltimore got screwed over in Yankee stadium about 20 years ago. I just thought it was karma for how they built left field at Camden Yard.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Isn't it pretty easy to reach into the field of play at right in Fenway?
94chem
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Isn't it pretty easy to reach into the field of play at right in Fenway?
Yes it is. But building a newer field and deliberately implementing that aspect for no reason other than "character" makes no sense. Even Wrigley has a net between the OF wall and the fans.
PacifistAg
AG
Until MLB starts using better camera angles that can definitively address these issues, then they'd be better off just not selling seats on the first row of stadiums anymore. But, that's also a lot of lost revenue to address an issue that is relatively rare.
Street_Cred_Norm
Glad the Sox won.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Two former Rangers getting a shot at the World Series too.
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Bell and Baldelli interview for Rangers Manager opening. That would be David Bell, former Ranger Buddy's son.
[url=https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-interview-bell-baldelli-for-manager/c-297883804][/url]
https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-interview-bell-baldelli-for-manager/c-297883804

So Bell won't be the next Rangers Manager, he will be managing the Reds. Unless we interview more candidates, there appear to be 6 still in the running:

Quote:

Bell and Joe Girardi, who was also interviewed by the Rangers, were reportedly the leading candidates for the Reds job, though Girardi withdrew from consideration, and, as noted in this morning's links, is thought to also be out of the running with the Rangers. Assuming that is the case, that leaves six individuals who the Rangers have interviewed who are left Don Wakamatsu, Jayce Tingler, Joe Espada, Brandon Hyde, Rocco Baldelli, and Dusty Wathan. Tingler is reportedly going to be on the major league coaching staff if he isn't named the manager
alvtimes
2019... total **** show!!!! Thanks JD!
mhayden
The JD hate always astounds me.

7 teams have won AL pennants the last decade. 3 have won them twice.

Texas (2), Kansas City (2), Houston (1) and Cleveland (1) are the only teams that have done so without having Top 10 MLB payroll the majority of the decade (and we know how Houston got there).
Mr Gigem
AG
The Rangers rank #6 across the entire MLB in average and total number of wins over the last decade. JD sucks though!
Squirrel Master
AG
Alvarado Times said:

2019... total **** show!!!! Thanks JD!
Why are you already *****ing about 2019? Because the Rangers weren't the first team to hire a manager? Confused.
_lefraud_
AG
Again, since Daniels was named GM in 2005, only the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers and Cardinals have more playoff appearances than the Rangers.
PatAg
AG
They are the same idiots that wouldn't say anything if we won that series against the Cardinals.

For some people, only championships matter.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Twins hire Baldelli. I thought I heard Girardi also removed himself from contention for Rangers manager.
duck79
AG
I thought it was the Reds? Rangers too??
Quincey P. Morris
AG
duck79 said:

I thought it was the Reds? Rangers too??
Yeah. He removed himself from consideration for both. Rangers were a few days later.
Schall 02
AG
Methinks Kershaw wont be opting out. He hasn't increased his value by any means.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I disagree. He may not pull in more then $33 million in each of 2019 and 2020 (he'll at least get close, if not all of that), but the bigger factor is that he'll get longer term security with 4-6 years. Which for a guy whose back may go out, that security is a pretty big deal to lock up now. Passing up on opting out could easily turn into a $100 or $150 million screwup.
J.P. 03
AG
Opening odds on Kershaw's team next year have already been posted:

Quote:

Dodgers -150
Rangers +375
Astros +375
Cubs +800
Giants +800
Yankees +850
Reds +1600
Rangers would be fun but a complete waste of resources given what the rest of the rotation is probably going to look like.

Astros would make me want to vomit.
94chem
Time to cue up Bart Giamatti. Way better than One Shining Moment or The Last Corps Trip... Someday maybe it will play after the Rangers win the last game....
94chem
For the unfamiliar:

"[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Time to leave this thread, gentlemen?
bigcat22
AG
Who thought this was a good idea and how long will they remain employed?

DeangeloVickers
AG
bigcat22 said:

Mr Gigem
AG
bigcat22 said:

I've been noticing this for the past week or so. Not a great look, especially coming off a terrible season and when we are trying to beg season ticket holders to come back as well as try to sell a new stadium.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Twitter can be a tricky place to tell a joke. Oftentimes doesn't come off as intended.
Schall 02
AG
Truth hurts.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I thought the twitter joke was funny. Don't understand the backlash coming from it. Are ranger fans that big of pansies that they can't handle a little twitter joke? Give me a break. If anyone should be offended, maybe the dodgers could say it was too soon or something but I haven't heard much from them.
First Page
Page 123 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.