3,000 hits

18,169 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie1205
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The club is becoming more exclusive

2999 Cabrera (39) - 2022
2629 Cano (39) - likely never
2388 Markakis (38) - likely never

One name I saw in the top 20 of active hit leaders was Nick Markakis. At 33, he's got 2020 hits and has averaged 180 hits a season so far. He's a guy that could make it, that I think would be somewhat surprising. Another interesting name is Elvis Andrus. At 30, he's got 1723 hits, but playing shortstop, I am guessing he won't be able to play long enough to make it to 3000, but then I guess he could move to 2nd eventually.

So who you got, what current player with less than 2,000 hits do you think will make it to 3,000?

Jose Altuve (32, 1783)
Starlin Castro (32, 1722)
Freeman (32, 1717)
Machado (29, 1444)
Mike Trout (30, 1427)
PacifistAg
AG
The only name that I could possibly add, and it would be a long shot, is McCutchen. He's 30 and at 1,431. He'd have to avg 160 hits for the next 10 years, so extremely unlikely. Andrus is an interesting one, especially since he really seems to be entering his prime. It's still a long shot, but more doable than McCutchen.

Altuve and Trout are the obvious front runners though.
W
AG
the only thing working against Trout is walks. He's going to draw walks or get walked more and more throughout the prime of his career
astros4545
AG
Markakis would be the first 3,000 hitter to not make hall of fame
_lefraud_
AG
astros4545 said:

Rafael Palmeiro
vette
AG
RetiredAg said:

The only name that I could possibly add, and it would be a long shot, is McCutchen. He's 30 and at 1,431. He'd have to avg 160 hits for the next 10 years, so extremely unlikely. Andrus is an interesting one, especially since he really seems to be entering his prime. It's still a long shot, but more doable than McCutchen.

Elvis is 200 hits ahead of Altuve and only a year older. Help me understand why Altuve would be a "front runner", but Andrus is "doable".
_lefraud_
AG
Altuve is about to finish his 4th straight season of 200+ hits. Andrus has never had more than 180 hits in a season.

As a Ranger fan, I love Elvis, but there is no question that Altuve is the better hitter, and more than likely will be able to play longer than Elvis.
PacifistAg
AG
vette said:

RetiredAg said:

Elvis is 200 hits ahead of Altuve and only a year older. Help me understand why Altuve would be a "front runner", but Andrus is "doable".

As pointed out, Altuve is regularly reaching 200 hits per season. Elvis is typically in the 160-180 range. Altuve has shown to be more consistent and at a higher level. I love Elvis, but he's just not close to the same hitter that Altuve is.
Farmer1906
AG
vette said:

RetiredAg said:

Omg this is a real post.
astros4545
AG
vette said:

RetiredAg said:

Because Altuve hits .333
_lefraud_
AG
Pujols with a hit already tonight puts him at 2990. I'm guessing he makes it by the end of the month. This will be the 4th straight year someone reaches the club:

'15 - Arod
'16 - Ichiro
'17 - Beltre

Will probably be at least 2020 before the club gets another with Cabrera (and maybe Cano). The club is getting tougher and tougher to make it seems.
astros4545
AG
Nick Markakis at 2,069

Believe!
TXAggie2011
AG
astros4545 said:

Nick Markakis at 2,069

Believe!
I want to! That'd be pretty incredible.

He's going to need to play at a good level until he's about 40, though, yeah?
The Lost
_lefraud_ said:

Pujols with a hit already tonight puts him at 2990. I'm guessing he makes it by the end of the month. This will be the 4th straight year someone reaches the club:

'15 - Arod
'16 - Ichiro
'17 - Beltre

Will probably be at least 2020 before the club gets another with Cabrera (and maybe Cano). The club is getting tougher and tougher to make it seems.

Hard to join when everyone is only striking out or hitting home runs... the contact percentage just keeps dropping.
Corporal Punishment
AG
_lefraud_ said:

astros4545 said:

Rafael Palmeiro

Pete Rose?
NotGibbs
Corporal Punishment said:

_lefraud_ said:

astros4545 said:

Rafael Palmeiro

Pete Rose?

They're both not in the Hall because of extracurriculars. Markakis would be the first to not get in because of his baseball resume
BMX Bandit
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the debate of whether Nick Markakis should be in the hall of fame with 3000 hits never happens. He's not going to reach that number.
_lefraud_
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

astros4545 said:

Nick Markakis at 2,069

Believe!
I want to! That'd be pretty incredible.

He's going to need to play at a good level until he's about 40, though, yeah?

He would need to average 135 hits for 7 more seasons or 155 hits for 6 more seasons (including this season). He'll be 35 at the end of the 2018 season. So yea, he will need to play to 40/41 to have a shot.

I'm rooting for him.
NotGibbs
BMX Bandit said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the debate of whether Nick Markakis should be in the hall of fame with 3000 hits never happens. He's not going to reach that number.

I think you're probably right, but it'll definitely be fun to watch. I don't think anyone in the world has ever said "Man, I really hate Nick Markakis". I can't think of a single reason he should be disliked.

Fun fact: Markakis played for the Greek Olympic basketball team back in 2004
Aggie1205
AG
NotGibbs said:

BMX Bandit said:

I think you're probably right, but it'll definitely be fun to watch. I don't think anyone in the world has ever said "Man, I really hate Nick Markakis". I can't think of a single reason he should be disliked.

Fun fact: Markakis played for the Greek Olympic basketball team back in 2004

Plenty of Braves fans aren't real high on him.
astros4545
AG
Markakis played in 160 games last year

Pretty amazing actually
Harry Dunne
He has played on lower profile teams and has not had the postseason heroics, but his career numbers have been pretty similar to Johnny Damon's. He'a better than people think and is a damn good fielder.

If he makes it to 3000 hits I bet he makes it in. I would not bet on him playing at his current level til age 40 though.

MaroonStain
AG
_lefraud_ said:

astros4545 said:

Rafael Palmeiro
Rafael Palmeiro*
Farmer1906
AG
Omar Vizquel (2877) has the most hits of anyone not in the HOF that is not active and does not have other circumstances keeping them out (roids & betting).
Aggie1205
AG
Markakis keeps hitting so far this year. Pujols will get the mark in the next few days likely.
_lefraud_
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Markakis keeps hitting so far this year. Pujols will get the mark in the next few days likely.

Yea, he's on pace for 200+ hits this year. Assuming that lineup doesn't change much over the next few seasons, he should get plenty of good pitches to hit. Just have to see what father time does to his body after a few more seasons.
Aggie1205
AG
He is a FA after this year.
bigcat22
AG
Aggie1205
AG
Pujols now one hit away.
oldschool87
AG
astros4545 said:

vette said:

RetiredAg said:

Because Altuve hits .333

Weeeeeeeeeell, basically Elvis has 2 + full seasons or 1350 AB's more than Altuve, yet only 200 more hits for there careers.

If you take there numbers over all, Elvis 161 hits per season, Altuve 198, and take there last 4 seasons averages, Elvis 280, Altuve 335 and make a projections based on all of that...

Elvis is basically 2 years older in seasons and age than Altuve.

If Elvis hit 165 hits per year, which he has only done 3 times, untill he was 39/40, no injuries, 165 hits per year, he would get to 3000 sometime after the all star break in the 27 season.

Altuve would have a shot at it in late 25 at age 35/36...

Altuve,
335 avg vs. 280
165 hits vs 211 per year
We already have an indoor stadium
He is basically 2 years younger
Reigning MVP on a World Series Team
Is not required to play every day
Currently slumping at .328

Yes, I might call him the front runner as well.

_lefraud_
AG
Congrats?

With that said, I'll set the O/U on blue stars (astro fans) at 11.5.
vette
AG
They're, their, and there
ABATTBQ87
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Pujols now one hit away.

Got his 3,000 hit last night
W
AG
Markakis is off to a great start.

he should reach 2,200 by the end of the year
oldschool87
AG

Got it?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.