***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,311,466 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
ArcticPenguin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the Astros win, but I don't think we "kill" them. LA has shown time and time again during this series they are not going to just roll over.

I expect the game to be very similar to Games 2 and 5, with the Astros winning because we don't role over either and our bullpen hasn't been used near as much as LAs.
Ag_07
AG
Apparently there was A LOT of money put on us yesterday by ticket brokers.

They spent big bucks for Game 7 tickets and they're apparently hedging their bets by putting money on us to win Game 6.
BowSowy
AG
n_touch said:

Hadnt thought about it. Thats just on a cheap peace of scrap laminate. I want to do it on a nicer piece that will stain well, probably ash. If not find some cherry or mohagany that can just ben engraved and sealed.
I assume you're doing that inscription on a bat? It's the only thing that makes sense, IMO.
BowSowy
AG
I still think it's a bad idea to bring Lance in tonight. If Verlander only makes it through 5 or 6, I think you look at McHugh, Morton, or Musgrove to bridge a few innings until you can get to Devo late in the game.
Schrute
Ag_07 said:

So what's the plan for tonight?

Obviously you ride Verlander until his arm falls off, but let's say he gassed after 7 and we're up by 2-3. Who comes in for the final 6 outs?

Dallas for 1, Morton for 1, McCullers for 6? Is Lance untouchable tonight so he can start tomorrow if need be? If he does come in relief who pitches tomorrow?
So with your scenario, we are heading to B8 (need 6 outs), up 2-3 runs and JV is gassed (nothing left)? I think in this spot you have to go for the win now. So, I go with LMJ here.
Schrute
BowSowy said:

I still think it's a bad idea to bring Lance in tonight. If Verlander only makes it through 5 or 6, I think you look at McHugh, Morton, or Musgrove to bridge a few innings until you can get to Devo late in the game.
Now, in this scenario where JV only makes it 5 or 6? Depends on the score. If we're up by 5+ runs then I go with LMJ to finish it and win. If up by less than 5 or losing, then I go with McHugh/Musgrove/Devo/Peacock.

Bottom line: I would go with LMJ in two cases: We're up by 5+ runs with alot of innings to go, or we're up by 2-3 runs with 6 outs to go.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Schrute said:

Ag_07 said:

So what's the plan for tonight?

Obviously you ride Verlander until his arm falls off, but let's say he gassed after 7 and we're up by 2-3. Who comes in for the final 6 outs?

Dallas for 1, Morton for 1, McCullers for 6? Is Lance untouchable tonight so he can start tomorrow if need be? If he does come in relief who pitches tomorrow?
So with your scenario, we are heading to B8 (need 6 outs), up 2-3 runs and JV is gassed (nothing left)? I think in this spot you have to go for the win now. So, I go with LMJ here.

This. Sweep the leg.
CT75
AG
Schrute said:

Ag_07 said:

U So what's the plan for tonight?

It's been discussed and as crazy as it sounds.....I still believe bringing in Gregerson for the first three outs might pay off because they haven't seen him much. Then either Devo or Musgrove in the 9th....but what the hell do I know!

Whatever happens under that senario they better be told to throw strikes. NO F'N WALKS.

NO WALKS
NO WALKS
NO WALKS

The Dodgers have been very patient at the plate the past few games and have hit very few groundouts (limits the double play). This staff must avoid walks at all costs.
n_touch
Will be watching from home. Good thing is I wont miss astros4545 and what might come from it all.
The Milkman
AG
Ag_07 said:

Apparently there was A LOT of money put on us yesterday by ticket brokers.

They spent big bucks for Game 7 tickets and they're apparently hedging their bets by putting money on us to win Game 6.

And the fact that the line has shifted in that direction shows even more has come in for the Dodgers.
Schrute
CT75 said:

Schrute said:

Ag_07 said:

It's been discussed and as crazy as it sounds.....I still believe bringing in Gregerson for the first three outs might pay off because they haven't seen him much. Then either Devo or Musgrave in the 9th....but what the hell do I know!
I hear you. But if we lose a game because Gregerson effs it up, I may not be able to live with myself....
The Milkman
AG
How's it going at Gallery Furniture? I set an alarm for 5, but just couldn't get up. Still too tired from the night before
Frok
AG
spadilly said:

No matter the outcome, I'm going to be an emotional wreck about 24 hours from now

I got butterflies this morning.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Sparky getin wet tonight boys
CT75
AG
Schrute said:

CT75 said:

Schrute said:

Ag_07 said:

It's been discussed and as crazy as it sounds.....I still believe bringing in Gregerson for the first three outs might pay off because they haven't seen him much. Then either Devo or Musgrave in the 9th....but what the hell do I know!
I hear you. But if we lose a game because Gregerson effs it up, I may not be able to live with myself....
Welcome to the world of a lifelong 'STOS fan!!!!
k20dub
AG
Let's mother ****ing go

JakAg93
AG
Quote:

It's been discussed and as crazy as it sounds.....I still believe bringing in Gregerson for the first three outs might pay off because they haven't seen him much.
Extending that logic - you would also bring in Liriano. He should be well rested.
AustinCountyAg
wife is expecting twins next month with one of the babies being a boy. If Astros win it all I am pushing to change the middle name to either "Bregs", or possibly even "Yuli". She wants no part of Yuli (we are polish). I may have a chance with Bregs. GO ASTROS
zgood10
AG
WE TONIGHT
bobinator
AG
Gonna be a long day fam.
n_touch
The Milkman said:

How's it going at Gallery Furniture? I set an alarm for 5, but just couldn't get up. Still too tired from the night before

Decided to stay for the last drawing. Not to crazy, first drawing was the best shot before everyone got registered. Hoping our entry firms are to far down.
cone
AG
LA -113

this is after all the ticket vendor hedges against a Game 7

the bet is that Verlander isn't the dagger
Schrute
cone said:

LA -113

Frok
AG
cone said:

LA -113

Weren't you panicking before game 5 because they picked against us?
k20dub
AG
Very interesting...got this email from a betting site this morning.

Sometimes in the news biz stories develop at a trickle's pace. A nugget here links to a nugget three months later and boom, you get a nice narrative. But on Monday afternoon, in my very small and self-centered world, the World Series mushroomed into the most exciting betting story since the Mayweather-McGregor fight this past summer. You may remember that in yesterday's newsletter we had a short note about Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, a Houston millionaire mattress magnate who offered refunds to anyone who bought a $3,000 mattress if the Astros won the World Series. He is hedging his bets with insurance and, as he noted in the Las Vegas Review Journal piece, some bets in Vegas.

Well, yesterday afternoon I was taping The Buffet podcast with Scooch and the World Series betting action was all we could discuss. The lines have been moving like mad, the action has been as big as Sunday football games, and ticket counts have been increasing every game. It's an event that, rightfully so, has captured sports fans' attention in the best possible way with drama, heroes, goats, and young stars with unbridled enthusiasm. Plus Yasiel Puig doing NSFW things with his bat. During the pod I pressed Scooch on where all the action was coming from and why lines were moving so aggressively and he was very circumspect.

"It's really strange," he said. "A lot of the action is coming from a big bettor all over town and all the bookmakers are talking about it."

"You mean the mattress king," I asked.

"Well, I can't really speculate, but"

Mattress Mack really is spreading cash all over town and, every time the books get some Dodgers money to balance out their rolls, it seems he's coming in and making the line go cuckoo.

But wait. As I was recording with Scooch, Darren Rovell of ESPN fame texted me with a link that read, "Here's something for your newsletter."

I clicked, and it was this gem from Rovell and ESPN's David Purdum, reporting that ticket brokers are unloading on the Astros, to hedge against any potential Game 7 losses. In total, they wrote, "there is more than $20 million in profits on the line in Game 6." Johnny Avello, bookmaker at The Wynn, said in the story that brokers have been betting $200,000-$300,000 on past games in the series. "And that's just me," he said. "I assume they are spreading it all over town."

So, aside from the game-clinching storylines, you have a whole lot of hedges to talk about with your friends. And, for the record, Scooch also noted that the bettors have been on the right side of every game so far in this series. And, tonight, they are on the Astros and ace Justin Verlander.
Texaggie7nine
So when we win tonight or tomorrow, where is the modern Richmond Ave? Where do we all go and drive around and honk?
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

Weren't you panicking before game 5 because they picked against us?

The answer is yes.

It's always yes if you're asking cone if he was panicking.
75AG
AG
At IAH. Lots of people wearing 'stros gear. Lots of "Go 'stros!"
Ecce Homo
On my book right now it's Astros +106 for tonight; Astros to win the series is -265, Astros to win on game 7 is +280, Dodgers to win game 7 +220.

So we're not favorites to win tonight; but we're heavy favorites to win the world series; if we don't win tonight; the Dodgers are the favorites to win the series.
Frok
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So when we win tonight or tomorrow, where is the modern Richmond Ave? Where do we all go and drive around and honk?

I have kids so I may just do it in my neighborhood and piss everybody off.
cone
AG
i didn't set the lines
Beat40
To throw out my 2 cents, if JV can give us 7 and we have the lead, LMJ is coming in. I doubt Hinch trusts too many other people in the pen at this point and the starters seem to be the only ones getting outs consistently. I think lance would come in and pull the string on them boys with the curve.

If we have the lead after 7, do anything you must for the win.
Beat40
No one has any freaking clue what is going to happen. Haha. This series has defied a lot of reason thus far.
JakAg93
AG
So if we win tonight, an added bonus is a bunch a ticket vendors in LA take in the shorts?
Beat40
Also, I'd like to knock Rich Hill out in the first inning please!
First Page Last Page
Page 1525 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.