***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,311,393 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's analyze Rich Hill.

First outing:

4 IP
3 Hits - (Reddick, Springer, Bregman)
1 Run Allowed (RBI hit by Bregman, Reddick scored) *Would have been two runs if it weren't for the tip of the cap
3 Walks (Springer, Gurriel, Reddick-intentional)
7 K's (Altuve (2), McCann, Gonzalez (2), Verlander, Correa
cone
AG
Quote:

Mattress Mack really is spreading cash all over town and, every time the books get some Dodgers money to balance out their rolls, it seems he's coming in and making the line go cuckoo.
and yet the line still favors LA
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

So what's the plan for tonight?

Obviously you ride Verlander until his arm falls off, but let's say he gassed after 7 and we're up by 2-3. Who comes in for the final 6 outs?

Dallas for 1, Morton for 1, McCullers for 6? Is Lance untouchable tonight so he can start tomorrow if need be? If he does come in relief who pitches tomorrow?
Dallas is not pitching in game 6.

The more I think about it the more I think we go all in and try to get Lance to finish it off with a 2-3 run lead. Seems unconventional, but I think it is worth the risk at this point.

If it fails and Lance can't go game 7 then its Charlie on short rest plus McHugh after that. Not exactly what you want in a game 7.
Mr.Ackar07
http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/260161284/astros-can-win-world-series-in-game-6-in-la/

Quote:

Since 1985, when the League Championship Series for each league changed to a best-of-seven format, the team going on the road up 3-2 in an LCS or World Series has won the series half the time (14 of 28), but the road team that loses Game 6 has come back to win Game 7 only twice on 16 previous occasions.
In other words, the 3-2 visiting teams are:

Game 6: 12-16
Game 7: 2-14
cone
AG
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Series#Game_6

Quote:

Most people forget that beating the Soviets did not earn the team a gold medal; they still had to beat Finland in the finals. Brooks was naturally worried that the team would suffer a letdown, figuring they had done what needed to be done.

So his speech during the second intermission of the Finland game (with the USA down 2-1) was simple, direct, and on target:

"If you lose this game you will take it with you to your ****ing graves." As he started to leave the locker room, he stopped, turned around and added, "Your ****ing graves."
peace
CT75
AG
Frok said:

HLet's analyze Rich Hill.

First outing:

4 IP
3 Hits - (Reddick, Springer, Bregman)
1 Run Allowed (RBI hit by Bregman, Reddick scored) *Would have been two runs if it weren't for the tip of the cap
3 Walks (Springer, Gurriel, Reddick-intentional)
7 K's (Altuve (2), McCann, Gonzalez (2), Verlander, Correa
The first 6 or 7 innings of Game 2 the Astros batters seemed to be at their worst "patience wise". Since that time they seem to have settled down a bit. I am hoping they make Hill work and take him to the woodshed early. We really need to be patient at the plate tonight. IMO JV will be laser focused.
Jaydoug
AG
I BELIEVE

I BELIEVE

I BELIEVE

HotardAg07
AG
Lance finishes game 6 like he did ALCS game 7 if we have a lead when Verlander is done. If we end up losing that game then you cobble together Morton, Peacock, Keuchel, McHugh and anyone else to get 27 outs in game 7. But if you have a chance to win game 6 you go for the win right then and there and the best option out of our pen is McCullers by a mile. Honestly, McCullers should make a permanent move to the pen in the offseason.

If you don't have a lead to protect, then you save Morton and McCullers for Game 7 tandem start like ALCS game 7.
HotardAg07
AG
Rich Hill will give us issues if he can locate his curve ball. We seem to be more of a fastball hitting team.
JYDog90
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So when we win tonight or tomorrow, where is the modern Richmond Ave? Where do we all go and drive around and honk?
My son asked me 3 months ago if upon the Astros winning the World Series we could drive through our neighborhood with the windows rolled down honking the horn and shouting at the top of our lungs, then drive down 1960 doing the same.

Fixin ta get lit up here in Huntwick tonight!
Frok
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/260161284/astros-can-win-world-series-in-game-6-in-la/

Quote:

Since 1985, when the League Championship Series for each league changed to a best-of-seven format, the team going on the road up 3-2 in an LCS or World Series has won the series half the time (14 of 28), but the road team that loses Game 6 has come back to win Game 7 only twice on 16 previous occasions.

Looking through history it looks like the 2003 Marlins are the example of what we want to do. Josh Beckett went in to New York and pitched a complete game shutout over the Yankees for the title.

astros4545
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Honestly, McCullers should make a permanent move to the pen in the offseason.

astros4545
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Rich Hill will give us issues if he can locate his curve ball. We seem to be more of a fastball hitting team.

And yet we are also the best curveball hitting team in baseball
tjack16
AG
My moods this week

Game 6 tonight: the excitement is real
Game 7 tomorrow(if necessary): overwhelming nerves and stress
JYDog90
AG
Just wondering what possible moves could you see the Stros making for next year. Do you think we'll possibly be looking for some bullpen help?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
How the fk am I supposed to do stuff today?
Ag_07
AG
HotardAg07 said:

We are but I also think having seen Hill once already this series bodes well for us.

Kinda like Kershaw. He was good against us once, but our approach improved significantly the second time.

I think he's gettable and I think Roberts will help us out. He's been awful this series and I can't imagine he'll suddenly get better in an elimination game.
JABQ04
AG
willie wonka said:

Just wondering what possible moves could you see the Stros making for next year. Do you think we'll possibly be looking for some bullpen help?

That's our biggest if not only real weakness. The BP has to be revamped.
Ag_07
AG
willie wonka said:

WTF? I thought I was in the 2017 Season Thread. I didn't even know we started a 2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Weird
JakAg93
AG
JABQ04 said:

willie wonka said:

I agree but also wondering if we are seeing the results of an overtaxed, mediocre (as opposed to awful) bullpen? Is our pen performing that much worse than LA's in this series?
Drew_Hill
Ag_07 said:

willie wonka said:

WTF? I thought I was in the 2017 Season Thread. I didn't even know we started a 2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Weird
Yeah we got about 13 or 14 hours before we need to start that thread
Nino Brown
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Quote:

This series as kind of felt like you can throw all previous stats out the window
HotardAg07
AG
JakAg93 said:

JABQ04 said:

willie wonka said:

I agree but also wondering if we are seeing the results of an overtaxed, mediocre (as opposed to awful) bullpen? Is our pen performing that much worse than LA's in this series?
Our bullpen was actually pretty great most of the season. The much maligned Ken Gilse had a 2.3 ERA . In 12 games in September he only allowed runs in one. Chris Devenski was an all-star he was so unhittable early in the season. Harris and Musgrove were also fantastic this year for 3rd, 4th guys out of the pen.That's the most infuriating part about their post-season performance.

However, they have to be scratching their heads that their "best closer in baseball" has also blown two games for the Dodgers.
diehard03
Quote:

This is so odd. It looks like the Cardinals did it in 1982 as well. Convenient choosing of 1985 to make a stat more "relevant"?
CT75
AG
Ag_07 said:

HotardAg07 said:

We are but I also think having seen Hill once already this series bodes well for us.

Kinda like Kershaw. He was good against us once, but our approach improved significantly the second time.

I think he's gettable and I think Roberts will help us out. He's been awful this series and I can't imagine he'll suddenly get better in an elimination game.
Agree..... Just need patience at the plate, make him work and don't give him cheap Ks.
Ag_07
AG
That's a good point.

Not only are we deep into the season for a seasoned vet, but especially for young guys like Devo and Musgrove who have never come close to pitching this deep into the season.

Lunhow touched on this issue on 790 the other day. He said this is about the time that pitchers are actually picking up a ball and starting to throw again to ramp up their offseason training after taking 3-4 weeks off after the season.

He also mentioned that they've already got plans in place to bring in extra arms to ST next year due to all our guys taking some extra time to recover from pitching so deep in the season.
HotardAg07
AG
Ag_07 said:

HotardAg07 said:

Agree, Rich Hill seemed shaky in Game 2 even though the results were good. It seemed like it was just a matter of time before we tagged him up.
1208HawkTree
AG
BowSowy
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Ag_07 said:

HotardAg07 said:

Agree, Rich Hill seemed shaky in Game 2 even though the results were good. It seemed like it was just a matter of time before we tagged him up.
It will be interesting to see how Roberts handles Hill tonight. His BP is overworked due to him pulling starters early. I wonder if he sticks with that plan or tries to let Hill go longer to cut down on how many tired bullpen arms he uses. I suspect he's going to play this one super tight and pull Hill at the first sign of struggle.
Kashchei
AG
Verlander needs to go all the way. I don't trust anybody else.
Beat40
They saw that too and it's why they pulled him after the 4th.

I want them to pull him in the first tonight!
Beat40
Kashchei said:

Verlander needs to go all the way. I don't trust anybody else.

I trust Lance too. The baseballs aren't affecting the curve like the slider. Bring him in with a clean diamond and I think he'd be fine. He has that bulldog mentality needed to close a series out.
Buck Compton
AG
If we get on Hill early, Roberts is ****ed. That bullpen is over-exposed and over-worked. I think he sticks with him as long as possible.

If Hill only gets 5 IP, that'll be huge for us. Anything before that and the Dodgers are in serious, serious trouble.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
Memphis 7
It ends tonight
Memphis 7
Tonight
First Page Last Page
Page 1526 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.