***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,311,977 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zoneTrack.php?month=10&day=29&year=2017&game=gid_2017_10_29_lanmlb_houmlb_1%2F

Good zone last night as well. So many casuals taking the Fox overlay as gospel and running to Twitter to complain about it, e.g. Seager's K.
i'm not a hardcore baseball fan. but that constant overlay distorts what is happening. wish they didn't have it every single pitch. i think mlb network does the best job of occasionally using overlay and tracking. espn is the worst with overuse.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
Johnsy3
AG
Johnsy3 said:

MVP Candidates:
1) Verlander - dominant, could lock it up on Tuesday
2) Bregman - most consistent, huge balls, great defense, game winner
3) Springer - he's the main catalyst. When he's on we're unstoppable. Game winner
4) Altuve/Correa/Yuli - huge hits
WS Stats for these guys:

Verlander
  • Pretty good start in game 2
  • Chance to close series

Correa
  • .333/.364/.667
  • 7 H, 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R, 1 BB

Altuve
  • .250/.250/.583
  • 6 H, 2 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 4 R

Springer
  • .333/.440/.857
  • 7 H, 2 2B, 3 HR, 3 RBI, 4 BB

Bregman
  • .273/.320/.591
  • 6 H, 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 5 R, 2 BB

Gurriel
  • .250/,286/.700
  • 5 H, 3 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB

CSWendt
AG
The strikezone last night was most certainly bad. However, he was very consistent for both teams. I'd take last nights zone over some others we have had. Dodger hitters just refused to adjust to his big zone, and got rung up because of it.
astros4545
AG
Yep

Dodgers refused to protect the plate

Astros I feel got hurt early in the count, Dodgers got screwed on 3rd strikes cause they wouldn't protect plate
TrillOBrien
AG
Wabs
AG
CSWendt said:

The strikezone last night was most certainly bad. However, he was very consistent for both teams. I'd take last nights zone over some others we have had. Dodger hitters just refused to adjust to his big zone, and got rung up because of it.
Loved how the Dodgers kept *****ing about calls that blue was making all night long. You think they'd learn...
Ecce Homo
TrillOBrien said:

I think someone was asking for pics of the short blonde next to him; check his fb site.
coastalAg
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Johnsy3 said:

MVP Candidates:
1) Verlander - dominant, could lock it up on Tuesday
2) Bregman - most consistent, huge balls, great defense, game winner
3) Springer - he's the main catalyst. When he's on we're unstoppable. Game winner
4) Altuve/Correa/Yuli - huge hits
WS Stats for these guys:

Verlander
  • Pretty good start in game 2
  • Chance to close series

Correa
  • .333/.364/.667
  • 7 H, 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R, 1 BB

Altuve
  • .250/.250/.583
  • 6 H, 2 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 4 R

Springer
  • .333/.440/.857
  • 7 H, 2 2B, 3 HR, 3 RBI, 4 BB

Bregman
  • .273/.320/.591
  • 6 H, 1 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 5 R, 2 BB

Gurriel
  • .250/,286/.700
  • 5 H, 3 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB

At the moment, Springer would be my vote.
AgDC
tjack16
AG
if it ended last night, I think Correa or Springer would win MVP. Can't go wrong with either guy
RangerRick9211
AG
CSWendt said:

Completely disagree.

That was a solid zone. I only see 3 on PITCHf/x's data that were bad. That's <1% of pitches thrown.
JDUB08AG
AG
Can we just have a 5 way MVP for our 1-5 hitters please? 6 if Verlander shuts down the Dodgers tonight. Talk about a team victory.
Ecce Homo
AgDC said:

it must be cool to be super rich and famous.... "Oh look honey, Reggie Jackson just texted me"
Goose
AG
Wabs said:

CSWendt said:

Loved how the Dodgers kept *****ing about calls that blue was making all night long. You think they'd learn...
Lots of 2 strike counts where dodger hitters watched a called strike 3 that was waaaayyyy too close to take. At some point, after several occassions of getting rung up and then overtly *****ing about it to the plate ump, you'd think somebody in the dugout might have mentioned to his teammates that they're probably not going to get that call, so they might wanna go ahead and swing at a few of those. Oh well!
iBrad
AG
Ag_07 said:

What a fckin game fellas! This team is something else.

Remember when we weren't very good at home and it was talked about that the batter's eye was an issue.

Yeah...I don't think so.

One more with our stud on the bump.
It's a good thing they replaced it with a giant YouTube ad.
RangerRick9211
AG
Furlock Bones said:

RangerRick9211 said:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zoneTrack.php?month=10&day=29&year=2017&game=gid_2017_10_29_lanmlb_houmlb_1%2F

Good zone last night as well. So many casuals taking the Fox overlay as gospel and running to Twitter to complain about it, e.g. Seager's K.
i'm not a hardcore baseball fan. but that constant overlay distorts what is happening. wish they didn't have it every single pitch. i think mlb network does the best job of occasionally using overlay and tracking. espn is the worst with overuse.
For reference, Seager's looking K.

Fox:

PITCHf/x:

That's a strike.
agsquirrel97
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

If you look at 10/25 chart from Game 2, Verlander was not getting the slider call low and away against RHH. Hopefully he can establish that corner early and we can see a Titanic Baseball tweet of him striking out Chase Utley pinch hit for a CG.
backintexas2013
AG
The red dress is stunning.
aggiedata
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
jr15aggie said:

Hulla Baller said:

Crying... I'm not crying... who said I was crying. I'm not crying... at all!
That caused sports cry #3 for me this postseason.
iBrad
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

My usual caffeine intake per day is going to be doubled.
I gave up caffeine over two years ago and I feel much better on a daily basis, including getting better sleep. But mornings like this, I sure do miss it.
RangerRick9211
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

If you look at 10/25 chart from Game 2, Verlander was not getting the slider call low and away against RHH. Hopefully he can establish that corner early and we can see a Titanic Baseball tweet of him striking out Chase Utley pinch hit for a CG.
It was his inside stuff miss-called against RHH in that game. That's 3 definite and 3 maybe strikes missed.

But then he got those calls against LHH.
Bryan98
AG
Ecce Homo said:

I'm going to ****jng sleep because our ****ty ass club, can't ****ing get 3 outs while giving up only 2 runs

Good morning, sunshine!
bullard21k
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

jr15aggie said:

Hulla Baller said:

Crying... I'm not crying... who said I was crying. I'm not crying... at all!
That caused sports cry #3 for me this postseason.

You know something I just realized after watching the game winning hit for the 800th time?

Watch springer pull up and find the ball on the throw from the left fielder. While no left fielder in their right mind would throw to 3rd base in that scenario he was taking no chances getting gunned down at 3rd before the run scored...aka what nearly happended in Boston series
annie88
AG
Just woke up. Great game, still happy! Go Astros!
Ecce Homo
Bryan98 said:

Ecce Homo said:

I'm going to ****jng sleep because our ****ty ass club, can't ****ing get 3 outs while giving up only 2 runs

Good morning, sunshine!
I have to admit, I was in a bad place last night. I just kept telling my wife "this **** doesn't happen, this doesn't happen in baseball, this is ludicrous"; and she kept looking at me and saying "i don't care, just be quiet, if you wake the kids up I'm leaving you".
bullard21k
AG
Bryan98 said:

Ecce Homo said:

Good morning, sunshine!

To be fair I don't think there is a person on this board that wasn't irate in the 9th after that crap.

Your offense clawed back all night you put up a 3 spot...and divinski proceeds to walk the leadoff hitter in the 9th. Are you freaking kidding me? If they hit the ball fine but giving up free passes is high school level non sense at that juncture. Groove one let your defense make a play. I wasn't going anywhere buts possibly the most angry I've been this whole series. We can't efen hold a 3 run lead for goodness sake
irish pete ag06
AG
Wabs said:

BTKAG97 said:

Up-to-Date WS Stats
Turner batting .150 in this WS is amazing. Hopefully he keeps it up....
Turner has hit some rockets that have been right at our outfielders. He's still barreling balls up a lot.
coastalAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Wabs said:

BTKAG97 said:

Up-to-Date WS Stats
Turner batting .150 in this WS is amazing. Hopefully he keeps it up....
Turner has hit some rockets that have been right at our outfielders. He's still barreling balls up a lot.
Yep. And he has been such a tough out too. Even when we get him he is making our guys work.
bearkatag15
AG
Some Dodger tears:

Quote:

The Peyton Manning of baseball.

Biggest start of his life?
Chance to turn his whole postseason narrative around FOR GOOD?

Wilts under the pressure.

****. If he just was average and gave us a quality start, we might be going home up 3-2.

I don't respect his inability to bring it consistently in October. I don't respect how revered he is for a guy who doesn't have a ring and hasn't done much in October to bring us a ring.

I'm not willing to die trying to get him a **** ring. We needed that guy tonight and he WASNT **** THERE.
Quote:

I think the odds are against us.

Is Rich gonna shut down this lineup?
Is this pen taxed?

Justin Verlander?
Yu Darvish starting a Game 7?

It's not over til it's over but I thought this game meant EVERYTHING.
Quote:

This game was lost when Dave went balls deep for Game 3.

It was also lost when Peyton Kershaw could not get through 5 innings. Yet another October game where he doesn't have all of his pitches. Missing command blah blah **** blah....just not getting the job done....no matter the scenario or how much help he gets.
Quote:

Quote:

Ranma wrote:All we have to do is win 2 straight games at home. However, our bullpen has been neutralized and, say what you will, I have to tip my cap to the Astros for being relentless. I want badly to beat the socks off them but I can't say that I didn't respect them and their talent. Quite the contrary, actually.

They have their horse going for them in Game 6 while ours came up lame in Game 5. Our offense seems to come up short and late in not outlasting the Astros.

well I don't. as long as they employ one bigot Guerriel, I will never respect Astros.
Quote:

Unbelievable

Who didn't see that coming!!!
Thanks dave
Quote:

I love the guy, but I'm tremendously disappointed in Clayton Kershaw. He couldn't wait to get started since last night and comes out today with 7 runs of support and couldn't even last 5 innings. The ball may be crap but he's pitched with it before in Game 1 or did MLB come out with a new set of game balls?

Not givng us a quality start forced Roberts's hand to go to Maeda who simply is not ready. Our offense has to basically out-hit the best offense in baseball.
Quote:

I don't really hate Springer but I'm tired of seeing him celebrate.

So **** him.

But not a Yuli level **** you.

Quote:

I will forever loath every Guerriel as long as I live, even if that is just a few years, LOL.
Quote:

I have a feeling like a half dozen players from each team will be waiting in the parking lot to "talk" to the home plate ump
Quote:

I knew it the moment Dave put over used Morrow into the game....
Quote:

I'm sick of Springer.

Gtfo.
Quote:

Can anyone defend Dave Roberts here!!!
Why!!!
Why!!!
Quote:

Not altuve

I hate altuve
Quote:

Well.

The decision to go full tilt for Game 3 screws us in Game 5.
Quote:

okay **** this game. just hit Yuli between the eyes, please!
Quote:

and Morrow is still in the game.... WTF Dave...
Quote:

dave is having a Don Mattingly moment right now. he has no clue what to do... pull Morrow you idiot!
Quote:

Quote:

Ranma wrote:
Quote:

Neddy wrote:then the next question should be, do we even extend Kershaw when he opts out? I say we go all in on Otani. give him an under the table deal, to his agent if Otani is too pure and moral to take such.

We certainly go all out for Otani, but the player I would pass on re-signing is Darvish. For all his postseason struggles and signs of decline, I still wholeheartedly ride with Kershaw.

never wanted him back anyway. I know you may or may not feel that way, but Ryu was the better option for the WS over Yu.
Quote:

Quote:

Ranma wrote:Roberts has turned our bullpen strength into a liability. Now are prime relievers won't be at full strength for Game 6 either. What happened to putting our players in best position to succeed, Dave?

you mean Donny Roberts.
Quote:

Poor morrow

6 pitches. 4 runs

Dude is gonna have nightmares

rosco511
AG
I heard Harold Reynolds talking about the decreasing effectiveness of bullpen pitchers as the series progresses as a result of the hitters getting a lot more looks at the pen pitchers in a short amount of time rather than the pitchers being overused or tired. I think there is a lot to this. Most of these guys are in bullpen because they were not good enough to be starters but still have at least one or two good pitches. During the season, they are able to perform really well because hitters may at most get two at bats off of them in a series, but in these long series and with use of bullpens going up, the hitters get more opportunities to see them and decreases effectiveness.
Farmer1906
AG
So its 5-4 in the bottom of the 8th and you just PH for an exhausted Verlander. Who do you go to finish the job? Devo? McCullers? Morton? Harris?
aTm2004
AG
Crane should fly this guy out to LA for game 6 and put him in his suite.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Texaggie7nine
Whatever the f happens Tues and Wed, we have got to fortiy our bullpen, and at the very least our closer position next season. My heart cannot take another season of closers who regularly give up runs.
7nine
Mr.Ackar07
When this season is over, whether we win or lose, someone should make a "Best of" thread with all of the highlights from this thread condensed for our reading pleasure.
First Page Last Page
Page 1515 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.