***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,321,985 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Dirty Mike and the Boys said:

Damn, props to him making a comment like that after losing an emotional, close game. I could only pray to have the composure and disposition to say something as complimentary as that given the timing.
I agree. I, for one, love the Latin American style passion and emotion that is in the game. I loved Joc Pederson acting a fool running the bases after his homer (sure it pissed me off because it was bad for the Astros), but what I'm saying is that all the passion and emotion and bat flips and glove throwing and bat licking is good for the game (well maybe not bat licking). All that stuff adds to the entertainment value whether we are loving Correa doing it or hating Puig doing it.

For Puig to understand that and basically reflect that in his comments, makes me appreciate his style even a little bit more.

(Secretly, when Puig was being benched and stuff last year I was hoping the Astros would trade for him and "buy low" on him.)

Completely agree with every bit of this. When opposing player bat flips I want to kill them, but that kind of stuff is the passion that baseball needs.
Beat40
I like the comment about Chapman and Kimbrel. Did they not see what we did to them too?
JohnnyTexAg1995
Damn Yankees just let go Girardi
W
AG
whoa, that's surprising
W
AG
Roberts better step up his game.

when your team is eliminated by the Astros...the manager gets fired
Wabs
AG
j_davis01 said:

Wow....
W
AG
I don't mind Puig celebrating when he does something great. It's all the antics when he does something routine that's annoying.

now the Culberson guy last night in the 11th...he acted like he had won the game for L.A.
JDUB08AG
AG
Entitled elitist Yankees let go of their manager who got them within 1 win of a WS birth. With a team nobody expected would be there. Man I hope they suffer for this.
W
AG
willie wonka said:

I think Roberts over-managing that game may be the biggest key in the Astros winning the series.
I listened to Larry Dierker on 610 Monday...talking about the double-switch...and how many times it doesn't do for the manager what he wants it to...or it doesn't create the future matchup you're hoping for.

taking Bellinger out after the 9th inning was a big mistake
Mathguy64
AG
j_davis01 said:

Wow. We got the managers of the 2 best AL East teams fired. Crazy.

And how do you fire a guy who went to game 7 in the ALCS?
astros4545
AG
His replacement did hit a homer though
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Me at work.
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

willie wonka said:

I think Roberts over-managing that game may be the biggest key in the Astros winning the series.
I listened to Larry Dierker on 610 Monday...talking about the double-switch...and how many times it doesn't do for the manager what he wants it to...or it doesn't create the future matchup you're hoping for.

While I agree, I dont know that Roberts had much choice here. By that time he was basically out of arms in the pen and bats on the bench. He had to push the pitcher as far away in the lineup as he possibly could. To me, Roberts fatal mistake was pulling Hill as early as he did and leaving Jansen in for 2 innings. Closers accustomed to 1 IP get roughed up when stretched to 2. Happened to Giles too and hes been stretched out like that since Sept.
Post removed:
by user
screw-tu
This game reminded me of game 6 in 1986. Only this time we were on the right end of things. Thank you, Jesus!
iBrad
AG
titanmaster_race said:

dlance said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

cone said:

K. Giles 2017 postseason

7.2 IP

10 H

7 ER

4 BB

3 HR

8.22 ERA

i'm sorry, but he's done

Everyone said the same about springer.

Yep. Giles is good for one inning of high leverage pitching. We've tried twice two squeeze two out of him and got burned twice. Six out saves are tough for closers.

This.

I hate that managers are trying to get 6 from their closer in high leverage games so often now. These guys didnt do that regularly in the season, and it blows up in your face.
Giles' two saves this post season were a 2 inning save and a 1.2 inning save. He gave up a solo home run in each, cutting the lead to one in both instances.

But, considering he's only had one outing this postseason where he hasn't given up a run (a 7-1 low pressure situation), I don't think extending him past one inning of work is the sole culprit.

Last night, everyone thought he gave up a walkoff bomb in the bottom of the ninth, which thankfully turned into to out three. He's just not very effective right now, regardless of how many innings he's pitching.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
mathguy86 said:

j_davis01 said:

Wow. We got the managers of the 2 best AL East teams fired. Crazy.

And how do you fire a guy who went to game 7 in the ALCS?
Arrogance is the only answer. Girardi was solid, and it was obvious the players liked him. Such an awful move.
JDUB08AG
AG
mathguy86 said:

W said:

willie wonka said:

While I agree, I dont know that Roberts had much choice here. By that time he was basically out of arms in the pen and bats on the bench. He had to push the pitcher as far away in the lineup as he possibly could. To me, Roberts fatal mistake was pulling Hill as early as he did and leaving Jansen in for 2 innings. Closers accustomed to 1 IP get roughed up when stretched to 2. Happened to Giles too and hes been stretched out like that since Sept.

I think pulling Hill was actually the right choice. It just felt like we were about to hammer him. I think bringing in Jensen early was the biggest mistake by a mile. Threw everything else off.
screw-tu
iBrad said:

titanmaster_race said:

dlance said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

cone said:

K. Giles 2017 postseason

7.2 IP

10 H

7 ER

4 BB

3 HR

8.22 ERA

i'm sorry, but he's done

Everyone said the same about springer.

Yep. Giles is good for one inning of high leverage pitching. We've tried twice two squeeze two out of him and got burned twice. Six out saves are tough for closers.

This.

I hate that managers are trying to get 6 from their closer in high leverage games so often now. These guys didnt do that regularly in the season, and it blows up in your face.
Giles' two saves this post season were a 2 inning save and a 1.2 inning save. He gave up a solo home run in each, cutting the lead to one in both instances.

But, considering he's only had one outing this postseason where he hasn't given up a run (a 7-1 low pressure situation), I don't think extending him past one inning of work is the sole culprit.

Last night, everyone thought he gave up a walkoff bomb in the bottom of the ninth, which thankfully turned into to out three. He's just not very effective right now, regardless of how many innings he's pitching.

Could not agree more. Personally, I don't trust Giles to pitch of an inning in a pressure situation. He admitted he was nervous in the Yankees series. I realize he's all we have, but damn....
MaroonStain
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm always curious what the other team's fans are thinking. I only get to see the good/bad/ugly on my side.

Thinking about this game and how we beat them...I think they are scared ****less as we head to Houston!
Dodger fan here... I thought the game was good (great if you're an Astros fan). I feel Dave Roberts panicked with the pitching (dammit Strip!) and played fruit basket turnover with the lineup wayyyyy too much. Thanks Josh Fields! You were great. #throwup. Yes, Puig is a weird cat.

Onto Game 3 and H-town...

(I think Houston's field advantage is why Roberts panicked. I felt like I was watching Fran coaching again)
W
AG
you know that's right
W
AG
regarding the 'stros bullpen...starting to think Gregerson is going to get an opportunity to shine in these next 3 games
aggiematt235
AG
W said:

regarding the 'stros bullpen...starting to think Gregerson is going to get an opportunity to shine in these next 3 games
Here's to hoping for the most well polished turd the world has ever seen.
tjack16
AG
This is how I see the rest of the series going

Game 3: win (low scoring 3-1 ish win with a fired up mcCullers)
Game 4: loss (higher scoring game)
Game 5: win (close 2-1 win Keuchel vs Kershaw 2.0)
Game 6: WIN (Verlander pitches another gem and we score a lot late in the game to win our first ever World Series)

WS MVP: Carlos Correa
Buck Compton
AG

Quote:

Paying a guy 85 million bucks to throw 91 mph to Marvin Gonzalez in the World Series and it fails. Get a Chapman or Kimbrel and at least you can probably get that guy out.
I guess this guy didn't see us against Chapman or Kimbrel... Fastballs don't work on this team over the course of a series.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
cone
AG
that's got to be the most likely path forward for an astros series win
ZEEB
AG
Furlock Bones said:

uhhh who dat? looks like daisy ridley with a couple upgrades
Jackal99
AG
Jackal99 said:

Maybe we can get another AL East manager fired.
Ahem. Above was immediately following the Yankees beating Cleveland to get to the ALCS.

Girardi Out
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Dillion Harper. She's NSFW, just fyi.
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

Roberts better step up his game.

when your team is eliminated by the Astros...the manager gets fired
That's two thus far...

Buck Compton
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Robert2014 said:

Me at work.

You just think you are tired. Us old timers had to stay up for 14 in 05 and a loss on top of that.
And it was Blummer that hit the HR against us....
Nino Brown
screw-tu said:

This game reminded me of game 6 in 1986. Only this time we were on the right end of things. Thank you, Jesus!
My father and I were sitting in the 3rd deck and we fell into the aisle when Billy hit this jack. Seems like yesterday

Buck Compton
AG
W said:

now the Culberson guy last night in the 11th...he acted like he had won the game for L.A.
I'll give that guy a pass actually. He had two hits..... for the entire season. That HR is likely the best thing he will ever do in the majors.
Ag12thman
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Buck Compton said:

W said:

I'll give that guy a pass actually. He had two hits..... for the entire season. That HR is likely the best thing he will ever do in the majors.
He had 6 career HRs going into the game. He's been in the league since 2012.
First Page Last Page
Page 1344 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.