***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,322,445 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is probably their go to lineup vs RHP.

Utley Splits:

Pederson's Splits:

Ag_07
AG
Utley is old balls and Pederson was a one hit wonder

Neither one of them scare me the slightest bit
astros4545
AG
Pederson sucks against everybody
diehard03
Talk about the bottom falling out of that lineup. Verlander gets every other inning off apparently.
ClickClack
AG
MLBshop.com really sucks. They still haven't shipped my stuff. Meanwhile Dicks and Academy have been receiving multiple shipments a day of Astros world series gear. Yet the "official" MLB store doesn't supposedly have the items yet.

Finally got the on field blue hat with the WS patch on the side at Dick's today (the one in Katy off I-10 had a lot) and canceled my MLB shop order. Never using them again.
tjack16
AG
ClickClack said:

MLBshop.com really sucks. They still haven't shipped my stuff. Meanwhile Dicks and Academy have been receiving multiple shipments a day of Astros world series gear. Yet the "official" MLB store doesn't supposedly have the items yet.
yep same here. I've had the same issue with NFLshop.com ... when the NFL playoffs happened I didn't get my texans stuff until two weeks later and they had just lost to the Patriots.

03_Aggie
By on the field do you mean the low profile 59fifty?

I went to the Dicks at Baybrook yesterday. They had a lot of hats but they were all the high crown 59Fifty version.
bearkatag15
AG
Lol...

tjack16
AG
03_Aggie said:

I went to the Dicks at Baybrook yesterday. They had a lot of hats but they were all the high crown 59Fifty version.
The only place I've seen that sells low profile besides the team store are LIDS website, and MLB shop website.
Buck Compton
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Lol...

His swing may be just fine, it's just his approach.

Answering questions from the media during a crucial series is just as much about messaging to your player and working the locker room as it is about the truth.
tremble
AG
That's my point. We play 100+ games a year where our pitchers never have to pick up a bat and have a guy playing DH all year. Meanwhile, the Dodger's pitchers at least have to get comfortable swinging a bat or sac bunting to not waste every pitcher at bat in a season.

It affect us much worse than it does them.
ClickClack
AG
03_Aggie said:

I found one low profile in my size at Lids today but I actually liked the regular crown better. Dicks only had the regular crown on field. They look great.
Mathguy64
AG
Third most important game of the year tonight. #1 and #2 were Games 6 and 7 last week. Tonight is almost "must win" level. Kate is going to have to help out the hitters big time.
Post removed:
by user
Hulla Baller
AG
So how do the Astros usually fare against Hill? Have we faced him before?
bearkatag15
AG
The Astros hitters in the lineup tonight are a collective 4-28 for their careers vs Hill...

however the Dodgers lineup vs Verlander are a collective 3-19 for their careers.
Frok
AG
tremble said:

That's my point. We play 100+ games a year where our pitchers never have to pick up a bat and have a guy playing DH all year. Meanwhile, the Dodger's pitchers at least have to get comfortable swinging a bat or sac bunting to not waste every pitcher at bat in a season.

It affect us much worse than it does them.

Generally the AL team has a better bench player to pinch hit and then when the series shifts to the American League park the NL team has a disadvantage as their DH is usually not as good as the AL DH. So it evens out a little.

I said this last night. I used to defend pitchers batting when the 'Stros were in the NL. After a few years in the AL I do NOT miss pitchers batting at all. They are so bad at it that it makes the game not as fun to watch.
astros4545
AG
Rich Hill makes me think of Ted Lilly

And I never liked Ted Lilly, so **** Rich Hill
bobinator
AG
I still like the idea of pitchers batting, but it needs to be implemented all the way down to the minors, colleges and high schools. If that were the case, then pitchers would eventually become better hitters. They would probably not reach the level of every day players, but they'd be a lot better.

But if that isn't going to happen, then just skip the whole deal and go DH all the way down.

I just think it needs to be one or the other, having it still split after all this time is pretty silly to me.
Buck Compton
AG
bobinator said:

I still like the idea of pitchers batting, but it needs to be implemented all the way down to the minors, colleges and high schools. If that were the case, then pitchers would eventually become better hitters. They would probably not reach the level of every day players, but they'd be a lot better.

But if that isn't going to happen, then just skip the whole deal and go DH all the way down.

I just think it needs to be one or the other, having it still split after all this time is pretty silly to me.
If I'm the MLBPA, I'm pushing for DH across both leagues, but with a 26-man roster.
Texaggie7nine
After hearing Josh Innes go off on how stupid people are that think Joe Buck hates their team and hearing him talk about all the comments on twitter, I started looking myself. The yankee fans hate his ass and think he thinks Altuve is god's gift to baseball. It's like an exact mirror image of what astro fans say about Joe but coming from Yankee fans.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

No they wouldn't. Better pitchers, regardless of hitting ability, will become major league pitchers. Any "good hitting" pitchers will only be a coincidence of being a better pitcher.

The only way they would be better hitters is if MLB would start selecting for "worse pitchers but better hitters" but this will not happen. The value of the pitcher will always be throwing, as that's the highest influence on the game because you're always holding and throwing the ball.
diehard03
Quote:

If I'm the MLBPA, I'm pushing for DH across both leagues, but with a 26-man roster.

The issue wont be from the MLBPA side. They would applaud having more jobs for their players in a heartbeat.
Buck Compton
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

The issue wont be from the MLBPA side. They would applaud having more jobs for their players in a heartbeat.
Oh I agree, I just mean pressing the issue if the DH argument ever comes up.
astros4545
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

After hearing Josh Innes go off on how stupid people are that think Joe Buck hates their team and hearing him talk about all the comments on twitter, I started looking myself. The yankee fans hate his ass and think he thinks Altuve is god's gift to baseball. It's like an exact mirror image of what astro fans say about Joe but coming from Yankee fans.

Well, Altuve didn't set the post season strikeout record in only 13 games
diehard03
It probably comes in 2021 at worst. I am not sure if its' covered under the commissioners powers to do unilaterally. I want to say I heard this was possible with currently new CBA, when they were experimenting in the minors with man on base in extras.
bobinator
AG
They'd still get better just because they'd have to do it year after year. Right now a high school player could go to college and then depending on where they get drafted have to bat for the first time in six years.

Again, they wouldn't suddenly become great at it or be as good as every day players, but they would get better just by having to do it. And presumably they're all competitors so if they had to do it all the time they'd want to get better.
ClickClack
AG
astros4545 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Well, Altuve didn't set the post season strikeout record in only 13 games

Yeah Altuve was hitting about .450 mid-way through the ALCS. Judge set a strikeout record. Hmmm.
ClickClack
AG
Everyone needs to take a shot pre-game, for Jobu to wake up dead bats. Do it for the team.
Mr.Bond
AG
Someone go choke their chicken!

We need a sacrifice
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I hope you al have your Kate pics loaded up and ready to go
iBrad
AG
The two things I don't miss about pitchers hitting:

• Pitchers killing a rally
  • Pitchers being pulled too early for a pinch hitter

Let's revisit game seven of the ALCS with pitchers batting and assume it's still 1-0 in the bottom of the seventh. We get two on with two outs and McCullers is due up next. In just about every NL game, he would get pulled in favor of a pinch hitter, who has around a 20% chance of getting a hit. So instead of leaving in a pitcher that's dominating, you have to turn to a shaky bullpen, while hoping and praying that the pinch hitter comes through.
Farmer1906
AG
On it
tjack16
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I don't think Joe Buck is biased at all... the network is towards big market teams. But he is not. I think the issue is that most fans are used to listening to their "home team's broadcast" on tv... and obviously those are very one sided. So hearing a neutral one is a lot different and feels like they are favoring the other team.
saltydog13
AG
I'm wearing the same shirt that I wore for games 6&7 of the LCS to please the baseball gods
First Page Last Page
Page 1271 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.