***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,320,191 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
is the stage too big?

I'm seeing that a lot in this thread
astros4545
AG
cone said:

is the stage too big?

It's too big for you

During the regular season, you were a great poster, cause I never saw you in this thread...Now that the playoffs are here, your posts have been abysmal and all too frequent.

I would definitely say you are choking during the biggest moments
irish pete ag06
AG
You can chalk it up the being the stage too big or stage too small, but Springer has always been one of the streakiest hitters in the lineup.

The playoffs are just 1 small sample size, so it makes some players seem superhuman while others not so much. Springer has had moments in the regular season he has looked just as bad as he looks right now. He's managed to adjust and get out of those and it usually happens when he keeps his front shoulder down and starts squaring up balls to the right field gap. Here's hoping he's making those adjustments and he gets started good tonight.
irish pete ag06
AG
astros4545 said:

cone said:

is the stage too big?

It's too big for you

During the regular season, you were a great poster, cause I never saw you in this thread...Now that the playoffs are here, your posts have been abysmal and all too frequent.

I would definitely say you are choking during the biggest moments
BMX Bandit
Astros bet up to being the favorite. Seeing -109
cone
AG
Quote:

so nuke is absolved

...due to his perpetual abject panic?

well, I guess you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
titanmaster_race
trololololol
cone
AG
trolling is just a term we use (too often) when we don't want to hear something in particular, typically bad news

you act as if i'm not emotionally invested in this enterprise
cone
AG
i'm interested in how the math works out

insofar i'm seeing series astros @ +225

if both verlander starts are slight astro edges, then how do you get to +225

would darvish be more than a -120 favorite on the road in game 3?

and how big would the game 5 line be? it'd have to be a decent Dodgers lean to make the math work (i think).
Texaggie7nine
cone said:

i'm interested in how the math works out

insofar i'm seeing series astros @ +225

if both verlander starts are slight astro edges, then how do you get to +225

would darvish be more than a -120 favorite on the road in game 3?

and how big would the game 5 line be? it'd have to be a decent Dodgers lean to make the math work (i think).

It's based mostly off of where the money is being bet. Right now people are betting on the Stros to win tonight. It's not really going to show in series betting odds.
7nine
mm98
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

You can chalk it up the being the stage too big or stage too small, but Springer has always been one of the streakiest hitters in the lineup.

The playoffs are just 1 small sample size, so it makes some players seem superhuman while others not so much. Springer has had moments in the regular season he has looked just as bad as he looks right now. He's managed to adjust and get out of those and it usually happens when he keeps his front shoulder down and starts squaring up balls to the right field gap. Here's hoping he's making those adjustments and he gets started good tonight.

This is precisely my thinking as well. He's never been a consistent hitter. He has hot and cold streaks that usually settle in to a good seasonal BA and OPS.

Farmer1906
AG
cone said:

is the stage too big?

Maybe? I A-Rod talked about heart rate. Most guys in the regular season have their heart rate at 75 but come postseason these guys shoot up into the 100s. He said he had that problem and was just too excitable. George seems like a pretty relaxed, fun-loving player who doesn't seem overmatched mentally. But the proof is in the pudding. He's looked bad and I hate saying that because he's my guy.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Usually the moments we're a stretch this long. The closest I could find this year was a 9 game stretch in May.

4 R
2 RBI
4 BB
13 SO

8 games in the postseason
1 R
0 RBI
4 BB
11 SO

Ag_07
AG
I kinda agree and disagree with this. While George is pretty relaxed and fun loving I think he gets very worked up in big situations.

It always seems when we need the big hit in a tight spot he's not very productive, but if it's a random AB during a series in June he'll crush one 450 ft. I think you can also look at his off field persona and him not liking to talk about himself and not being comfortable in front of the camera. It's not just his MO to be the guy in the spot like say Correa.

He's got the physical skill set no doubt but he seems just not be wired to be the guy you depend on. It's a big reason why I think he won't end up somewhere like BOS or NY. I get the sense he likes the smaller market where he can unwind and have fun.

**Oh yeah...The disclaimer -- I don't know nor claim to know George Springer so this may all be BS. It's just my opinion based on what I've gathered watching him over the last few years.
Texaggie7nine
Listening to Matt Thomas on 790 talk about how maybe Springer needs to be moved out of 1.
7nine
gigemJTH12
AG
I have been looking all week at Stub Hub for game 5. Was resigned to the fact that I was gonna be paying a grand and sitting in the outfield.

Just got the call and got asked to sit 15th row behind Stros dugout for free.

its destiny. Stros in 5.

Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I have been looking all week at Stub Hub for game 5. Was resigned to the fact that I was gonna be paying a grand and sitting in the outfield.

Just got the call and got asked to sit 15th row behind Stros dugout for free.

its destiny. Stros in 5.

Lucky you
htownag08
AG
Not as lucky - but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got some Game 5 tickets. Me and my dad - going to be an amazing experience.
Farmer1906
AG
htownag08 said:

Not as lucky - but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got some Game 5 tickets. Me and my dad - going to be an amazing experience.
Assuming it happens.
htownag08
AG
Positive psychology...and a blinding belief in Verlander!
Frok
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Listening to Matt Thomas on 790 talk about how maybe Springer needs to be moved out of 1.

I would seriously consider it. What do you have to lose? It's not like he would get offended and hit worse.
Texaggie7nine
Farmer1906 said:

htownag08 said:

Assuming it happens.
7nine
astros4545
AG
Let's try to play a World Series game with a lead for once

Been 12 years of never having one
jja79
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

I'm snapping my 11 year Aggie home game streak for WS game 4.

Totally worth it.
World Series Games are never guaranteed. Aggie home conference games are guaranteed every year.

That is a hell of a streak though!
I saw my first live game between the Colt 45's and Phillies in 1964. I haven't missed an Aggie game in 17 years. I'll be at Kyle Field saturday. My home game streak is at 114 right now and I'm too old to start another.
bearkatag15
AG
Astros Lineup:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Correa SS
Gurriel 1B
McCann C
Gonzalez LF
Reddick RF
Verlander P
tremble
AG
I actually feel pretty good right now.

Obviously the lack of a hitting pitcher all year long puts us at a big disadvantage against the Dodgers whose pitchers hit all damn year. MLB has to change that rule, it's a massive disparity going into a winner take all series.

That said, we have seen a LOT of Darvish over the year and Hill doesn't exactly scare me. I like the rest of our SP against theirs, obviously excepting Kershaw who is a freak.

Can Kershaw pitch 3 games this series? That's the real question IMO.
Texaggie7nine
Good. lineup is starting in the 1 spot.
7nine
bearkatag15
AG
He really needs to come through tonight since he is taking over the leadoff spot from Springer
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Dodgers Lineup:

Taylor CF
Seager SS
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Pederson LF
Barnes C
Utley 2B
Hill P
Texaggie7nine
bearkatag15 said:

7nine
diehard03
Quote:

Obviously the lack of a hitting pitcher all year long puts us at a big disadvantage against the Dodgers whose pitchers hit all damn year. MLB has to change that rule, it's a massive disparity going into a winner take all series.

Yep. Those 2 ABs from sub .200 hitters is the difference in this series.
aggiematt235
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

bearkatag15 said:

Ag_07
AG
tremble said:

I don't see this as the big disadvantage. Their pitchers aren't that much better hitters than ours.

It just sucks that it takes a big bat out of our lineup and replaces it with a pitcher. Think that's the big disadvantage to us.
aggiematt235
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Dodgers Lineup:

Taylor CF
Seager SS
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Pederson LF
Barnes C
Utley 2B
Hill P
Interesting. Very different from game 1.
First Page Last Page
Page 1270 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.