***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,110,396 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Wizard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll chime in to what this means to me as well.

Astros fan since birth. My first recollection of a game experience was the '97 NLDS versus the Padres. I was in Kindergarten and my dad checked me out of school to go watch Randy Johnson pitch against Tony Gwynn (RIP) and the Padres. I fell in love with baseball that day.

Since that day, I attended games at The Dome, and have spent many a dollar at MMP. Bagwell and Biggio meant everything to me growing up. Never did I think I'd see the day where we'd have a better team.

I remember 2005 like yesterday, I was 13. Do y'all remember Roger Clemens going 14-0? Holy hell that was cool until I went to the game where he pitched against Kerry Wood and lost. Anyways, that year I had just learned how to tie-dye things at school so I tie-dyed an Astros logo on my tighty whiteys before the NLDS vs. the the Braves (my other favorite team bc Chipper, Smoltz, Glavine, Maddox, John Rocker from earlier years). We won the damn series and beat the Cardinals to make it to the WS. How heartbreaking it was for a sweep. Honestly I've done a good job about forgetting that post-season.

Can't wait to see how the series with LA unfolds. Go 'Stros.
n_touch
Just have to give it to the whole organization. Moving to the American League and building a WS team in 5 years is pretty damn remarkable.
spadilly
S
Buck Compton said:

SRO tickets for next weekend quickly rise to over $750...

coastalAg
AG
Been a while since I posted in this thread but just wanted to check in. Been a hell of a ride. Hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Guys.

WE ARE GOING TO THE ****ING WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!
Philip J Fry
AG

That team was awesome, but I absolutely love this new generation of Stros.
Cheo
agproducer said:

It's hard to express how I feel right now. I've been an Astros fan since I was 5. I remember going to my first game in the Dome when I was a little leaguer. I thought Billy Doran, Glenn Davis and Kevin Bass were bad asses. I remember going to games in college, paying 4 bucks for good outfield seats.

The Astros have always been my first sports love. I was an Astros fan before I became and understood what it meant to be an Aggie. When the Rockets won back to back titles in the 90s, I was elated. I want an A&M national championship. But a World Series for the Astros is what I want most.

Tonight, I'm feeling reflective. It's a sense of calm. It's a sense of excitement. It's a sense of anxiousness. It's a sense of relief.

Right now, I'm a kid again, seeing a major league field for the first time. I get butterflies and dreaming of what could happen. My heart broke when they were so close in 2005. I'm hoping somehow, some way they finally win it.

I love this team. I love my city. And, I'm glad I've been on this journey with all of you.

Go Astros!

Although I have only followed the Astros for 16 years, I feel the same. In fact, I cried, and I cried a lot. I am so happy right now. This means so much for this city. To eliminate the Red Sox and Yankees is really something else. Here comes Houston, and this won't be a one year wonder either.

I am very proud like all of you. What a journey!
badharambe
AG

Got deleted
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Need a link to sparks post game
spadilly
S
bearkatag15
AG

bearkatag15
AG
Bonfired
AG
We've gone from this:

To this

In 5 years.

What a rebuild!
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Reddick for WS MVP!!!!
Ag_07
AG
And I'm here to eat my share of crow. I wrote of Lance and thought that he had run his course and was better fit for a BP role from here on out.

Lance was ballin out tonight!!!! His stuff was on point and he was zoned in. Absolutely studly.

I would have no qualms giving Lance the ball in Gm 3.
BowSowy
AG
lead said:

This makes me kinda sad that Aoki doesn't get the celebrate tonight.
BowSowy
AG
Very excited to celebrate this win. And **** cone

But this **** ain't done. The dodgers cruised through some soft hitting teams and never really have had to face an opponent with their balls on the line. Let's show everyone what a true, tested lineup can do in a playoff aeries.
HTownAg98
I remember game 6 of the 1986 NLCS and skipping the afternoon of school saying I was "sick" so I could go home and watch the game (my mom was a teacher at the time, so pulling this off was somewhat of a coup). I went into that game knowing if the Astros could pull that off that the Mets would have to see Mike Scott in game 7, and Bill Buckner likely never happens. And I still remember the final out of that game.

I remember 1997 when I went to the dome with my college roommates, skipping classes at A&M (I had to actually get permission from my professor to skip, the nerve of him), to watch them clinch the division against the Cubs, and having one of my friends give me a high five. He did so and caught my A&M ring, and sent it flying. Thankfully, it fell into the row below us and I was able to retrieve it (but I was scared ****less that I'd just lost my ring that I'd only had for a very short time).

I remember game 4 of the 2005 NLDS, where my wife (then girlfriend) at the time and I had rally sex at the end of the ninth inning and the end of every inning going forward to will the Astros to a win. You may remember that game went 18 innings. There was a lot of sex.

I remember game 5 of the 2005 NLCS when Lidge gave up a meatball to Pujols that still hasn't landed. Thankfully Oswalt came in the next game and did Oswalt things.

I remember the 2005 World Series, where even though it shows the Astros got swept, games 2, 3, and 4 were struggles where the Astros just didn't get the breaks they needed. Get a break here or there, and this might be a seven game series.

I've been pissed off for years that I couldn't watch them in the Austin area, even when they were terrible, because they got an awful local broadcast contract and I could no longer watch the games.

I remember the 2014 season when they played roughly .500 ball to end the season that something
migjt be turning around.

I remember last night saying this team was done because they looked scared at the plate (I'll eat my crow now, please and thank you). But then they got a hit. And a collective sigh of relief went up. And the floodgates opened up.

I remember vaguely (because there's been a ton of wine consumed tonight) showing my wife the line at the end of the third that Morton was pitching a stellar game and we have a chance. I was also able to convince my host that Meat Chicken was toast against Penn State and the he should just turn on the Astros game. I chugged a whole glass of wine when the final out happened.

I don't know how well this team matches up against the Dodgers, but if they play like they did in games 1, 2, 6, and 7 of this NLCS, they may just be able to pull it off.
Philip J Fry
AG
How about AJ Hinch tonight? Made some great decisions with his pitchers and the lineup.
agsquirrel97
AG
I checked in with Stripling, and the dodgers are scared of our lineup, they are scared of our pitching, and they are just happy to be a footnote in our season.

I am paraphrasing of course

https://imgur.com/a/L0Fys

AggieMD95
AG
Great job by Hinch.

He didn't over manage the staff. Great to let McCullers continue to roll and pull off the rare 4 inning save !

After many years of late inning playoff melt downs yielded by Astros bullpens, this was a special night!

Love it !
agdaddy04
AG
Got home from MMP a bit ago and read through the 1200 posts from the game. Great stuff! Still on a high from being there. The eruption after the last out was incredible. Pretty cool that they kept the Budweiser CF bar open an hour after the game. Fun times!!
irish pete ag06
AG
agproducer said:

It's hard to express how I feel right now. I've been an Astros fan since I was 5. I remember going to my first game in the Dome when I was a little leaguer. I thought Billy Doran, Glenn Davis and Kevin Bass were bad asses. I remember going to games in college, paying 4 bucks for good outfield seats.

The Astros have always been my first sports love. I was an Astros fan before I became and understood what it meant to be an Aggie. When the Rockets won back to back titles in the 90s, I was elated. I want an A&M national championship. But a World Series for the Astros is what I want most.

Tonight, I'm feeling reflective. It's a sense of calm. It's a sense of excitement. It's a sense of anxiousness. It's a sense of relief.

Right now, I'm a kid again, seeing a major league field for the first time. I get butterflies and dreaming of what could happen. My heart broke when they were so close in 2005. I'm hoping somehow, some way they finally win it.

I love this team. I love my city. And, I'm glad I've been on this journey with all of you.

Go Astros!

Thanks for my 2nd sports cry of the night.
agdaddy04
AG
Looks like I'll finish the year 10-0. Having our 2nd daughter on Thursday so we'll probably be watching games 3 and 4 from the hospital and in think my wife would kill me if I went to game 5.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
This squad is a TEAM, and I feel privileged to have strapped my allegiance to them when they were dreadful a couple of years ago. I remember Charlie Pallilo talking about Altuve being a semi-decent contact batter who struck out way too often. I remember the depression I had watching game cards with Carlos Lee and and Miguel Tejada in them. Its been a long time coming for this franchise to be successful, and right now I couldn't be any happier to have rooted for this squad beginning in the dark years more than I had ever done so before. I truly believe this city is due a championship, and I truly believe this squad of heroes will heed the call. Stros win in 6. Either way, I love this team.
astros4545
AG
I went to the road Yankees series and saw us win 2 games

And I've been to all 6 home playoff games

6-0

Brag
klsmith89
AG
Imnfucjibg drunk.
saltydog13
AG
To go from trading berkman, pence (during the middle of a game), and the 100 loss seasons to this is unbelievable. Don't really have any words for this team except pride
Post removed:
by user
k20dub
AG
AustinAg2K
agdaddy04 said:

Looks like I'll finish the year 10-0. Having our 2nd daughter on Thursday so we'll probably be watching games 3 and 4 from the hospital and in think my wife would kill me if I went to game 5.

If we drop the first two in LA, we're going to need you to miss your daughter's birth. #Earnit.
cone
AG
the Astros were terrible on RBI baseball and we still fought for who would get to play as them
cone
AG
Game 3 yu vs lance is huge beyond belief
CFTXAG10
AG
Didn't get home till well after midnight from the game last night so this is my first post about it. The Juicebox was rocking. From the get-go it was loud but it was deafening on the throw out at home, El Oso Blanco homerun, MVP homerun, McCann hit, and of course the final out.

Been a Stros fan since field trips and family outings to the dome back in the day, but the real reason I stuck with it is because of how passionate of a fan my mom is (season ticket holder for the last 15+ years). It rubbed off on me big time. I went to the game with my sister, aunt, mom, and a close family friend of ours. Sat with my sister in the club level and the others were in 155 by the bullpen in their season tickets. With two outs in the bottom of the 8th we left the club level and went to the SRO area at the top of 155 where moms seats were. The second the ball left the bat on the final pop up my sister and I ran down to my moms seats and embraced in a group hug that was just absolutely priceless. I'll never forget last night for the rest of my life.

Now let's go win the whole f****** thing!
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Houston hard.
First Page Last Page
Page 1226 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.