***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,322,975 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would not want to be Weiters or Lobaton in that locker room tonight. Bryce Harper gonna go ape*****
mazag08
AG
Bryce Harper sucks ass.
TexasRebel
AG
The bags are much more rigid these days.
Beat40
TexasRebel said:

To that same end, there are plenty of times a ball beats the runner to a base by a dozen feet.

Should the runner be safe upon replay if he could sneaky snake a shoelace to the bag?

Depends on if they define a shoelace as part of the body. They call hit by pitch even if it hits only the jersey and not the actual player. There would have to be clear definition.
R-Dog
AG
I'll put it another way...

To me, it's like having a TD called back cause someone didn't have their mouthpiece in.

Sure, that may be the letter of the law, but really?
TexasRebel
AG
Beat40 said:

TexasRebel said:

To that same end, there are plenty of times a ball beats the runner to a base by a dozen feet.

Should the runner be safe upon replay if he could sneaky snake a shoelace to the bag?

Depends on if they define a shoelace as part of the body. They call hit by pitch even if it hits only the jersey and not the actual player. There would have to be clear definition.

The shoelace is not the issue here, dude.
Beat40
TexasRebel said:

Beat40 said:

TexasRebel said:

The shoelace is not the issue here, dude.

I overall agree with you that if a shoelace crosses a bag, the guys shouldn't be safe. I think it's the exact same situation as what happened here. I would not be in favor of that.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

If he slides head first like he should have his foot doesn't pop off.

Who the fack dives back feet first?

I agree with you. But at the end of the day what he should have done doesn't matter. If it's a stupid rule, it's a stupid rule.
Beat40
titanmaster_race said:

But the base isn't flat. It's a bag. Like its been since before any of us were born. Its not some new thing added to the game. I'll admit that I think replay is getting too ticky tacky, but he wasn't in contact with the bag and he got tagged.

Maybe Rizzo can use this to beat his chest and scream "Respect me" some more.

If we are going to get that ticky tacky with replay, why can't the rule be made for common sense.

Let me ask you this. Looking at the play, which you have already said replay has gotten ticky tacky, if you were writing the rule for what consitiutes as an out on a tag play, would that situation be an out?
R-Dog
AG
If the ball beats you and you avoid the tag via a swim move or something like that, then sure...you better not lose contact with the base.

But if you beat the throw by a mile, slide straight into the base, that should be it.

That play isn't even a blip on the radar for the first 100+ years of baseball. And now, a teams season may have just ended because of it.

Dumb. If you can challenge that, then you should be able to challenge balls and strikes too. Equally absurd.
screw-tu
Dumba$$ had no business off the bag in that situation. I'd have an embolism if Centeno pulled that s@@t in that situation.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
If your off the base and get tagged your out
Simple as that
He was off the base and got tagged. It's not a stupid rule, it's one of the most simple rules in baseball...
titanmaster_race
screw-tu said:

Dumba$$ had no business off the bag in that situation. I'd have an embolism if Centeno pulled that s@@t in that situation.
Beat40
R-Dog said:

If the ball beats you and you avoid the tag via a swim move or something like that, then sure...you better not lose contact with the base.

But if you beat the throw by a mile, slide straight into the base, that should be it.

That play isn't even a blip on the radar for the first 100+ years of baseball. And now, a teams season may have just ended because of it.

Dumb. If you can challenge that, then you should be able to challenge balls and strikes too. Equally absurd.

I agree with this.
Beat40
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

If your off the base and get tagged your out
Simple as that
He was off the base and got tagged. It's not a stupid rule, it's one of the most simple rules in baseball...

He slid STRAIGHT INTO THE BAG. It's a stupid rule for this reason. Foot didn't even pop off more than an inch when he slid straight into the bag. It's just not commons sense.

At home he's safe with no questions.
Beat40
titanmaster_race said:

screw-tu said:

Agree he probably shouldn't been off he bag. Still holds no bearing on the conversation of the replay of the slide.
Beat40
And look, I'm a stros' fan. Yeah, I would be upset with the player for taking a large lead in that situation, or if they didn't slide head first.

However, I'd also be pissed that my dude was called out for a situation where he clearly slid straight into the bag and his foot popped off for less than a second.
screw-tu
His foot was off the bag. I've been watching baseball a long time & seen many a player hug the bag like a life preserver with their hands in that situation. You see them call time before they even dare to lift their hand off the bag ALL THE TIME.
.Why slide into first that way? Why even be off the bag in that situation? There's a man on 2nd.
Nats & their backup catcher asking for it.
Beat40
screw-tu said:

His foot was off the bag. I've been watching baseball a long time & seen many a player hug the bag like a life preserver with their hands in that situation. You see them call time before they even dare to lift their hand off the bag ALL THE TIME.
.Why slide into first that way? Why even be off the bag in that situation? There's a man on 2nd.
Nats & their backup catcher asking for it.

It's not a question of did the guy make smart decision. It's a question of only the tag at that point. Should a guy be called out because the bag causes his foot to pop off? Dude slide straight into the bag and his foot popped off the the bag because it's ridged. Again, would have been 100% safe if this was a play at home. Should the bag cause the out?
CSWendt
AG
Can we just move on from this replay debate?
screw-tu
To be honest, I'm guessing that sliding back into first feet first rather than head first is pretty rare. Seen plenty of situations where the first baseman has tapped them more than once trying to catch them off the bag. So that's the rule.
They seem to know it, since they usually hug the bag not moving their hand until they safely call time. If the Astros catch somebody like that I'm pretty upset if they aren't called out regardless of what caused their foot/hand to come off the bag. I'm just of the opinion unless the first basemen pushes them off....they're fair game.
Beat40
Yeah, I can move on from the debate, haha. I just like a spirited debate every now and then.

I see both sides and even agree it should not have even been an issue to beign with if he slides head first or takes a small lead.
JW_TXAG13
AG
Got 2 tix from my brother tonight after his FIL found a way to get even better seats than what he had already.

Got the brother discount for Section 111 let's do this!!!!
dave94
AG
For decades they trusted the umpire's call on a play like this. I understand that now we have the technology to check the bang-bang plays. But the reason for instituting replay was definitely not to hone in on the slightest minuscule instance of a foot or hand or torso elevating off the bag. This has to change.
screw-tu
I hope we don't get into any situations like this with the Yankees. Let's all hope the umpires and replay are non factors. I do see both sides. It is fun to debate baseball.
Good luck to the Ags and Stros this weekend
BMX Bandit
how do you amend the rule to say "runner can come off the bag, just so long as he touches it first"
titanmaster_race
CSWendt said:

Can we just move on from this replay debate?
dshedd41
S
http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20171012&content_id=258344580&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou
BowSowy
AG
Dan Shedd said:

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20171012&content_id=258344580&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou
It seems like the biggest talking point I've read/heard in the Yanks favor is their bullpen. I get it, their bullpen is very good. I just have a feeling that our offense is going to run train on their starters and will get to their bullpen.
AustinCountyAg
Enough with the base running national league crap.

ITS GAME DAY!!!!!!!

zgood10
spadilly
S
Earn History.
BTKAG97
AG
BowSowy said:

Dan Shedd said:

It seems like the biggest talking point I've read/heard in the Yanks favor is their bullpen. I get it, their bullpen is very good. I just have a feeling that our offense is going to run train on their starters and will get to their bullpen.
Tanaka gave up 8 earned over 1.2 innings the o ly time he faced Houston this year.
YellAg2004
AG
Earn TOFA.
Ag_07
AG
BTKAG97 said:

BowSowy said:

Dan Shedd said:

Tanaka gave up 8 earned over 1.2 innings the o ly time he faced Houston this year.

And Keuchel is something like 5-2 with a sub 2 ERA against the Yanks in his career.

I think I like our chances.
First Page Last Page
Page 1011 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.