***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,322,893 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a **** call. You don't make that call when there is no angle that clearly shows glove on and foot off at the same time. If I'm the Nationals, I start throwing everything from the dugout on the field.
TexasRebel
AG
W said:

and a runner back-picked off first base to end the 8th

I like replay for blatantly blown calls, but that was BS.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure how they saw clear evidence to overturn that.

Regardless WAS can't get out of their own way. They're constantly bailing CHI out.
astros4545
AG
I think I'm almost ready cut back on replay
Beat40
Don't you think that's a little stupid that you can call a guy out for his foot popping up off the bag where it lands right back on the bag? I mean, it was probably off less than a second. Always have hated that rule. Would have never been called out without replay.
Ag_07
AG
I think it needs to be like football.

The manager should have to clearly state what he's challenging. For example...Think the throw beat him and tag was on him or Think his foot came off. Rather than like it is now where you just review a call in it's entirety.
R-Dog
AG
Hate that this is what baseball has become. But I don't know how you write the rules to allow it to catch missed calls on the front end without ones where guys come off the base by a fraction of an inch.
Beat40
I mean, it's not like he slid past the bag or slid to the side and his hand popped off before his foot he touches. There has to be something they can institute in a situation like that where it's "act of sliding" or something. Just seems like a really stupid rule.
TexasRebel
AG
R-Dog said:

Hate that this is what baseball has become. But I don't know how you write the rules to allow it to catch missed calls on the front end without ones where guys come off the base by a fraction of an inch.

You make the base a vertical beam after it's touched. Stay in contact with the beam and you're in contact with the base. Like the opposite of a disintegrating tackle box.
mazag08
AG
Beat40 said:

I mean, it's not like he slid past the bag or slid to the side and his hand popped off before his foot he touches. There has to be something they can institute in a situation like that where it's "act of sliding" or something. Just seems like a really stupid rule.

Im all on board for a "when you're down the play is over" rule.
Beat40
What do you mean about the front end? I'm just a little bit confused. Sorry, it's late.
Ag_07
AG
But what's the difference in that and sliding past the bag?

Both the act of sliding, but I think you should definitely be punished if you slide past the bag.

Think it goes back to what is being challenged instead of yeah take a look at that. If it's not specifically being challenged it can't be looked at.
Beat40
mazag08 said:

Beat40 said:

Im all on board for a "when you're down the play is over" rule.

Yeah. It will be obvious when a player slides past the bag. In that case, totally makes sense to call a guy out. Obviously just stupid when a guys momentum causes his foot to pop up and he can be called out for that when he would have always been touching the bag if it was flat like home plate.
W
AG
Nationals have 14 hits and 9 walks in this game
dave94
AG
I'm my mind, that's not at all what replay was brought into the game for. Everytime replay that has been used to call a base stealer out for having been off the bag for a split second during the slide, it's just ridiculous. I really hope and maybe think that they'll change the language of the rule somehow this offseason. That's not baseball IMO.
Beat40
I would say what happened in that case is if the base was flat like home plate, he would have always touched the bag. He's essentially punished because his foot pops up because of his momentum.

Slide past the bag is clear.
htxag09
AG
How the **** is Davis still in this game?
R-Dog
AG
Meaning where you could look at the initial tag/touching of the base part of the play.

The penalty for a guy coming off the base by an inch where he clearly beats the throw just seems so disproportional. It's almost devolved into fluky.

I refereed basketball for a long time and was taught advantage/disadvantage principles. But you just can't use something like that where replay paints it black or white.
agdaddy04
AG
On a play like that it was pretty clear what Joe was challenging.
agdaddy04
AG
Still don't like it.
Beat40
I think I am still confused on what you mean by disproportional. Sorry man.

Are you saying that happens less often than the initial tag on the play?
titanmaster_race
Man, you have to have no baseball IQ to get picked off of 1B as the trail runner with 2 outs in a 1 run game in the 8th inning of a do or die baseball game.
Beat40
Just sucks for the Nats where a foot popping off for less than a second where the foot would have not popped off if it was a flat base completely changes the remaining part of the game for them.

Sure, should have taken care of things earlier, but that was a HUGE call at her point in the game. Took it out of the players hands.
W
AG
what a choke job.

Dodgers should sweep the Cubs
titanmaster_race
The Nats completely Natted this game up.

How big is Weiters insane meltdown?
Beat40
titanmaster_race said:

Man, you have to have no baseball IQ to get picked off of 1B as the trail runner with 2 outs in a 1 run game in the 8th inning of a do or die baseball game.

But dude. He essentially got picked off because the base isn't flat. If it's a flat base, his foot never pops off for freaking half a second. He beat the throw by quite a bit. If the base was flat, he never even has the opportunity to be out.

That's why I say the rule is stupid.
n_touch
W said:

Dodgers should sweep the Cubs
Hope so. My son pointed out again today that in his MLB The Show game it had the Astros beating the Dodgers in the WS for '17.
TXAG14
National fans need to find another team to root for. They find a way to **** the bed every post season.
Ag_07
AG
Damn the 2 road teams won both game 5s.

I'm out now. Need my rest for tomorrow. Gonna be a rough day at work before it goes down at MMP.
TexasRebel
AG
To that same end, there are plenty of times a ball beats the runner to a base by a dozen feet.

Should the runner be safe upon replay if he could sneaky snake a shoelace to the bag?
Ag_07
AG
If he slides head first like he should have his foot doesn't pop off.

Who the fack dives back feet first?
astros4545
AG
Is this the longest 9 inning game of all time
titanmaster_race
But the base isn't flat. It's a bag. Like its been since before any of us were born. Its not some new thing added to the game. I'll admit that I think replay is getting too ticky tacky, but he wasn't in contact with the bag and he got tagged.

Maybe Rizzo can use this to beat his chest and scream "Respect me" some more.
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

If he slides head first like he should have his foot doesn't pop off.

Who the fack dives back feet first?
mazag08
AG
Cubs fans on their own thread can't even believe they got that call. It shifted momentum. Absolute horse ***** MLB deserves to catch flak for letting games be decided on **** like that.
First Page Last Page
Page 1010 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.