Rangers to implode ballpark, build new stadium

43,121 Views | 344 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WFAA finds millions in additional giveaways for proposed Arlington stadium
PatAg
AG
My friends who live in Arlington are voting no. The rangers arent goinf anywhere and the Ballpark is great. We are already one of the top attendance parks as it stands.
BassCowboy33
PatAg said:

My friends who live in Arlington are voting no. The rangers arent goinf anywhere and the Ballpark is great. We are already one of the top attendance parks as it stands.

To be fair, they'll just build it somewhere else.
PatAg
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

I think its exceedingly unlikely they will leave arlington. It's a moot point though, it will pass.
nai06
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

Where exactly?
jkag89
There were Ranger fans on this thread and in one earlier this year expressing interest in a park in downtown Dallas. Whether the Rangers front office is willing to possibly alienate their Ft. Worth fans for a new park is another question.
nai06
AG
jkag89 said:

There were Ranger fans on this thread and in one earlier this year expressing interest in a park in downtown Dallas. Whether the Rangers front office is willing to possibly alienate their Ft. Worth fans for a new park is another question.

That's all well and good, but they world spend $300 million just to acquire the land near downtown. Then there's that little problem of no sales tax to give
TXAggie2011
AG
They're putting a lot of work into the Texas Live! development and rolling out some pretty specific plans...Point being money is getting spent and they seem pretty serious about it.

So, FWIW, there's that added dynamic at play here when considering moving to another city.
PatAg
AG
jkag89 said:

Dallas didnt want a stadium for the COWBOYS, you think they will approve the rangers?
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't think that made it to a ballot, did it? I think that was all Laura Miller.
jkag89
Only repeating what some Ranger fans were banding about. I have no idea whether Dallas or another D/FW area municipality might be coaxed in to providing the means for a new park.
BassCowboy33
PatAg said:

jkag89 said:

Dallas didnt want a stadium for the COWBOYS, you think they will approve the rangers?

I'm positive they would. Their interest has been widely publicized. It's the sole reason Arlington is trying to jump the gun.

In fact, they even have the site of old Reunion Arena picked out for the stadium.

Here's the article about it:
http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/richard-greene/article83125607.html

This all happened just last year. I'm surprised so many on this board have already forgotten about it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

they even have the site of old Reunion Arena picked out for the stadium

That's like building a olympic sized pool in my backyard AND trying to have the world championships there. Even if you could squeeze a small stadium in there -- or a larger one with a HUGE cost to tear a bunch of stuff out -- you won't have room for parking unless you acquire everything across the highway and make everyone walk over or under. Not to mention access during rush hour. Its already hell driving through that area.

The area to the southwest of there might work but you still have access and traffic issues.

The Rangers are going after Arlington now because Arlington voters have shown they are dumb enough to buy into this nonsense.
PatAg
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

jkag89 said:

I'm positive they would. Their interest has been widely publicized. It's the sole reason Arlington is trying to jump the gun.

In fact, they even have the site of old Reunion Arena picked out for the stadium.

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/richard-greene/article83125607.html

This all happened just last year. I'm surprised so many on this board have already forgotten about it.
Nothing ACTUALLY happened, a newspaper "journalist" reported it, but I dont recall seeing actual evidence that any of it occurred.
nai06
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

jkag89 said:

A.few things:

1. The reunion site is about 30% smaller than the current rangers ballpark footprint. That didn't even consider parking issues downtown.

2. Dallas is maxed out on sales tax. They are already at 8.25% which means no sales tax room to give.

3. The hotel tax in Dallas is already at 15%

4. I might be remembering this wrong but in think their rental car tax is at 5%

All this to say, how are they going to pay for The half billion stadium?
BassCowboy33
nai06 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

jkag89 said:

A.few things:

1. The reunion site is about 30% smaller than the current rangers ballpark footprint. That didn't even consider parking issues downtown.

2. Dallas is maxed out on sales tax. They are already at 8.25% which means no sales tax room to give.

3. The hotel tax in Dallas is already at 15%

4. I might be remembering this wrong but in think their rental car tax is at 5%

All this to say, how are they going to pay for The half billion stadium?

Where there's a will, there's a way. I found it interesting that Dallas wouldn't have to have a city wide vote to build a stadium, but Arlington does. I'm not quite sure why that is. Maybe the finer points of city government elude me.

Plus, I think the reason Dallas is pushing so hard is because they shot the Cowboys down all those years ago and now they see the financial windfall that they're missing out on.

It's fun to speculate, but it doesn't really matter unless Arlington votes down the new stad'um.
nai06
AG
Dallas would still like need a vote regardless of what the article says. Arlington is looking to reissue a tax to a different entity. If Dallas tried to pay for it it would likely be a bond issue. The article you posted suggested that private businesses/individuals would front the money. That's a tough sell considering they wouldn't actually own the stadium or rangers
nai06
AG
And the Arlington mayor has some hot sports opinions on the Vote No campaign

http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/local/tarrant-county/arlington-mayor-questions-intelligence-of-stadium-opposition-in-secret-audio-recording/345272649

Agnzona
Are there any plans to add a rail link to the Arlington stadiums district?
nai06
AG
Agnzona said:

Are there any plans to add a rail link to the Arlington stadiums district?

Nope. Only way to do that is to have someone like Jerry Jones to build the rail station. Aside from that DART requires a portion of tax revenue to continue to operate.
Dallasag02
AG
There's no chance Arlington would build a rail stop. That would be taking an enormous revenue stream away from the owners.
JJxvi
AG
JJxvi said:

That stadium concept looks familiar....

Uh...still familiar.
Mr. White
Nolan Ryan era blue/white home unis

Will Clark era red/gray road unis

That's all I want for Christmas 2019
Joe Cole
New stadium looks awful

Hate to see bullpens in those locations .
Dallasag02
AG
Mayby our train in left field will be filled with apples instead of oranges. Do we at least get a nonsensical hill in center field?
bigcat22
AG
That's terrible, really hope that isn't the final design
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

JJxvi said:

Uh...still familiar.
jesus christ thats an atrocity. Good job voting yes.
cdowl38
AG
*cough* rip off *cough*

TV Casualty
AG
JJxvi said:

JJxvi said:

Uh...still familiar.

Way to suck, HKS.
nai06
AG
effing terrible. A half billion dollars and thats the crap they come up with. I still cant believe my idiot mayor and city voted for this crap
Joe Cole
LF bullpen is an eyesore

hey you going to the aqueduct for the game tonight ?
C Loves L
I really wish this hypothical money for a new stadium would go to cooling off the current ballpark.

Do something innovative while you're at it
Carlo4
AG
LOL at the bullpen... what is that Candlestick Park?

Love my Rangers, but that is a pathetic design. The aqueduct seating, the Houston ripoff (a good stadium, though). I mean... come on!

You could use part of that $500,000,000 and clean up the current Ballpark!
Frok
AG
Dallasag02 said:

Mayby our train in left field will be filled with apples instead of oranges. Do we at least get a nonsensical hill in center field?

The Astros just got rid of Tal's hill so you can buy a used one from the Astros.
Mr.Bond
AG
Forgive an ignorant post here. Did yall approve for a new stadium all together or renovations on the current one?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.