Rangers to implode ballpark, build new stadium

42,072 Views | 344 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Meanwhile, Fenway and Wrigley seem to continue working just fine.
It's not 100 degrees with 8000% humidity for half the home games there.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I've been to a game in Arlington and loved the stadium. I'm not a fan of domes or retractable roofs. Minute Maids roof may be open for what... 4 games total this year?

It's dumb.
I looked it up last night. There have been 20 home games at MMP in 2016. It's been open for 10 of those. The other 10 with the roof shut, I know for sure that it was raining outside for at least 3 of those... maybe more.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Last year I think it was 14 total. We are about to hit a stretch where it won't be open ever due to heat, then cold. Heat index over 88 or "cold" under 65 and it stays closed. Add in wind and rain and it's a no go.
CampingAg
AG
quote:
So you don't think a deep fly ball hit with the roof closed at 75 degrees inside with 15% humidity vs roof open and 95 degrees with 80% humidity will behave significantly differently?

Not differently enough to justify making a rule. I don't think a span of about ten extra minutes for one team hitting outdoors would have a significant impact on a game's results.
Forum Troll
AG
Dumb move since the park is so young. But having an outdoor only ballpark with field temps often well over 100 with terrible humidity is stupid.
J.P. 03
AG
I'm curious what effect this will have on people who live in Dallas/Plano/Frisco whose excuse for not going to games in the summer usually involves a combination of not wanting to drive that far to go sit out in the heat for 3+ hours. Once the heat is no longer a factor, will the drive still be?

Was really hoping the next park would move to downtown Dallas, albeit for totally selfish reasons.
Sea Gull
AG
Astros fan here...bittersweet news. I really enjoy the Ballpark...great atmosphere to catch a game, but it does become miserable in the heat. I enjoy how it's modeled after the old time parks.

W
AG
this is fascinating for anyone that was around when all the new ballparks were built across the country in the 1990's. Most were expected to last at least 30 years and beyond. (or that's what the owners promised to get public funding)

now we've seen the Braves dump theirs in just over 20 years and the Rangers planning likewise. Who will be next?

White Sox, Reds, D-Backs, Indians, Orioles, etc..,
MW13
AG
Been to some games out there where it felt like I was on the surface of the sun. Add in trying to take the family out there and it becomes a miserable experience. You may hate it now but you'll change your mind the first time you walk across that 105 degree parking lot through the doors and 72 degrees of coolness hits your face.

Just be ready for MLB to come in and Big Brother you by telling you it has to be open for playoff games.
Token
AG
feel sorry for the citizens who have to pay the taxes to support the stadium. They build these stadiums in arlington, and the majority of the people who utilize the stadium don't even live there
canaAg12
AG
I have grown up watching games in the Ballpark in Arlington.Been there to witness some awesome things, and some miserable defeats. I even got to see the filming of a scene from the filming of the Rookie. The Ballpark is a great place to catch a game. Personally, I don't mind the idea of a roof. A day game from middle of June through September is miserable. I suppose a renovation of the current park must be too much of a hassle.
AggieRebel
AG
I love the Rangers and the ballpark and I lived in Fort Worth about 15 minutes away from the ballpark during the word series years and I can absolutely say the heat kept me away plenty. We'd go to games in April, May, September and October but those summer months where the temp at first pitch is still over 100 degrees were just brutal.

Went to Aggie night at the ballpark in July one year and everyone there was covered in sweat before the Rangers got up to bat.

Not to mention if you wanted to take a date to the game you don't want to be sitting in ball soup for 3 hours.
Macarthur
Love TBPiA and think it's a great looking park.

However, summer games can be flat out miserable.
Mr. White
The Rangers changed their uniforms with the opening of the current place.

Do they change their look again in a few years?
CampingAg
AG
Side note: I know a few years back, that the Rangers got a special exemption from the requirement that the 14 non-ESPN Sunday night games had to be played during the day. We used to play Sunday night games on Fox Southwest alongside the ESPN game. What happened to that? It's been a few years since we've done that.
PacifistAg
AG
Sad, but understand the decision. Really love the classic feel of the Ballpark. It just looks like a baseball stadium should. I hate the warehouse look of the indoor stadiums, but I also do love climate controlled baseball, especially when we bring the kids.
AggieT12
AG
As a lifetime Rangers fan currently living in Houston, I will say that going to games at Minute Maid Park and not worrying about the weather is nice. Sitting in air conditioning is nice but that's also probably why the face value of tickets are so much higher for the Astros. Worth it!
DallasAg 94
$900M Whoah...

I'll continue to get my trickle information from the insider Evan Grant of the DMN. You know... since we don't have an insider.
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
$900M Whoah...

I'll continue to get my trickle information from the insider Evan Grant of the DMN. You know... since we don't have an insider.
Are...are you subtweeting me??
ceagg09
AG
I love the current ballpark and have spent the majority of my life going to games there. I have had some sort of season tickets since I graduated from A&M and probably make 20-30 games a year.

That being said, when it comes to afternoon start times in July-September, you will not find me out at the ballpark. It is miserable, and sitting in the sun in 100+ for 3+ hours just doesn't do it for me. I am still in the camp of baseball should be played outdoors and hope the Rangers open it up for as many games as possible but in my opinion, the Rangers 2024 (first year of new lease) season was always going to be played in a retractable roof stadium. The City of Arlington seems to just be much more proactive than we are used to when it comes to publicly funded stadiums and made sure no other cities in the metroplex made a run at the Rangers.

I understand people's issues with publicly funded stadiums, but it is the world we live in. Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Marlins Park, Target Field, etc. have all received public funding. The City of Arlington has done a pretty good job financing Cowboys Stadium while not putting the majority of the tax burden on their residents. Cowboys stadium is funded from a 1/2 cent sales tax increase, 2% hotel tax, and 5% rental car tax.

I will be sad to see the Ballpark go, but I am definitely looking forward to watching more late summer baseball in a much more comfortable environment.
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
For the Rangers, a new stadium deal makes all the sense in the world. Sure, they'll be able to attract fans who once refused to come to the ballpark because of the intense heat. The summertime sun has long been thought to be a factor in the Rangers' inability to lure free-agent pitching. If you'll remember, even Yu Darvish came over from Japan as a result of MLB's posting system, so it isn't as though he chose to pitch in Texas.

The potential improvement in our pitching staff and reducing the heat related wear & tear on the entire team roster should more than make up for any subjective decrease in the baseball "experience", IMO.

Like others have stated, I love the BPiA until middle June rolls around. Then it's FSS, big screen TV, a comfy seat, and cheap beer for the rest of the regular season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mr. White
quote:
The potential improvement in our pitching staff and reducing the heat related wear & tear on the entire team roster should more than make up for any subjective decrease in the baseball "experience", IMO.

I didn't even think about this. I'm sold.
Seven Costanza
AG
Does anyone else feel like the ballpark atmosphere affects the viewers at home, too? I'll probably watch fewer games on tv if the park winds up being as stale and lifeless as the other roofed stadiums. It's already enough of a beating listening to Busby and Grieve.
DallasAg 94
quote:
quote:
$900M Whoah...

Are...are you subtweeting me??
I don't even know what subtweeting means.

I saw ESPN posted information that Evan Grant apparently sent out. So, I'm very far down the food chain on information... apparently.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
quote:
I'm curious what effect this will have on people who live in Dallas/Plano/Frisco whose excuse for not going to games in the summer usually involves a combination of not wanting to drive that far to go sit out in the heat for 3+ hours. Once the heat is no longer a factor, will the drive still be?

Was really hoping the next park would move to downtown Dallas, albeit for totally selfish reasons.
This is my biggest complaint that I stated in the Rangers thread. Arlington is a pain in the ass to get to from Dallas and Collin County. I understand that out of the DFW sports teams the Rangers are way more Fort Worth friendly than the others, but the population is consistently growing North of Dallas in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney/Prosper area. Obviously it would be unfair the the Arlington/Fort Worth community to move it to the Dallas side of things, but if they moved a little bit further East I feel like the team would see an increase in attendance.

As for the roof, I feel like indoor baseball has a pretty stale atmosphere, but I think some of that opinion stems from the fact that most teams with indoor stadiums haven't had long periods of success with sustained attendance so it always feels that way. I will say that as much as I love the BPiA I nearly passed out at a couple of day games when I was a little kid. As long as they leave the roof open for games in April, May, and October (if we make it) then I'm ok with being covered in June, July, and August.
Mr.Bond
AG
Baseball stadium atmosphere goes as the teams success goes. I can say that minute maid is deafening in October with the tools closed
mhayden
Late 80's/early 90's games in Minnesota looked pretty damn rowdy.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I'm not saying it can't or hasn't happened, but most Rangers fans are used to watching games in Seattle where the roof is closed and they're lucky to have 5,000 fans in the stands. Or playoff games in Tampa where they can't even sell out (Tropicana is a dump though so I don't blame them) I feel like that plays a big role in the negative vibe about indoor baseball coming from us.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
I'm not saying it can't or hasn't happened, but most Rangers fans are used to watching games in Seattle where the roof is closed and they're lucky to have 5,000 fans in the stands. Or playoff games in Tampa where they can't even sell out (Tropicana is a dump though so I don't blame them) I feel like that plays a big role in the negative vibe about indoor baseball coming from us.

Those two examples, Tampa has a **** fan base period. Seattle hasnt had success in over a decade
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I know it's only two examples, I'm just stating that those are two stadiums Rangers fans are used to seeing the Rangers play in and the atmosphere is terrible so it can cause opinions to form.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
It will be 30 when the lease runs up, so it makes a little more sense.

It doesn't make any sense at all. It is 20 years old; it was state of the art for close to half that; it cost a fortune to build and remodel -- and will continue to cost until the lease runs out.

Whether you're looking at it from an arms race or "new phone every other year" perspective, this stupidity has to end. This was a 50 year AT A MINIMUM stadium, and could easily reach that, financed in large part (70+%) with taxpayer dollars. If the Rangers want to pay all that back and then build them something with their own money, fine. But there is NOTHING WRONG with this ballpark.

This is why public financing of sports stadiums needs to stop. Cuban wants a new arena 15 years after a brand new one was built. I can't wait for Jerry to start planning a Jerry-world II in Frisco or some other city he hasn't suckered yet.

Sorry, but this whole thing just makes me sick.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Does anyone else feel like the ballpark atmosphere affects the viewers at home, too? I'll probably watch fewer games on tv if the park winds up being as stale and lifeless as the other roofed stadiums. It's already enough of a beating listening to Busby and Grieve.
A Rays game is certainly not exciting, but that has more to do with having only 1 fan sitting within view. The same fan for every game in Tampa.

The BOB has a swimming pool, MMP has a train and the Marlins have the circus in CF.

We could get a Lazy River with Stripper Poles...Accident Prone can ensure TV quality visuals...
CampingAg
AG
That's an interesting point. What success have teams in domes/roofed stadiums had to give us a sample size of the indoor atmosphere?

Toronto - last year. It obviously got pretty wild in there
Houston - MMP can rock and roll, as seen in the mid-2000s
Arizona - don't really remember much from '01, except pom-poms. Looked like a fun atmosphere, though.
Seattle - no real success in Safeco. Not sure what the Kingdome was like.
Tampa - as mentioned in a prior post, they have trouble selling out playoff games.
Miami - no success while at Marlins Park

I don't think a roof has much to do with the atmosphere during success (unless you're in Tampa).
Michael Cera Palin
AG
The Mariners had 116 wins in 2001 and Safeco looked to be rocking back then, but they've done absolutely nothing since then. Safeco is an interesting one because while it has a roof to cover for rain it's still an open air stadium so fans still have to bundle up for cold games. Out of all the "indoor" stadiums Safeco is probably my favorite as far as design/execution goes, but that system wouldn't work in Texas since the main complaint is the heat
JJxvi
AG
quote:
I've been to a game in Arlington and loved the stadium. I'm not a fan of domes or retractable roofs. Minute Maids roof may be open for what... 4 games total this year?

It's dumb.
Open for 10 out of 20 so far according to the box scores.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.