Astros 2016 somewhat probable, kinda conceivable march to the World Series

1,754,021 Views | 19466 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mwm
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man, you guys really love to get into with each other.

Keep calm and hate gomez, not each other.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We are all brothers. Sometimes we love each other, sometimes we hate each other, sometimes we punch each other in the face... But we make up.

We all want the same end goal, but like in any other aspect of life there is disagreement on how to get there. If we all agreed on everything this place would be boring.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
because our manager that Ag07 is in love with think he's a better option than Gattis
You mean general manager. Hinch does not make personnel decisions.

It's a damn shame that most of you aren't in the front office or managing instead of Hinch or running the team instead of Luhnow. I've never seen such a damn collection of baseball intelligence than this thread. It's impressive.

Prove it. Both Hinch and Luhnow have both said that Hinch makes personnel decisions. He has input from Luhnow, but the final call is on him.

And this thread is mostly reactionary game by game emotional fan posts. Insulting us doesn't make you any smarter. You are more than free to stay on crawfish boxes and hype up Joe Sclafani with your other circle jerkers.

ClickClack
AG
I'm just of the opinion that this is our team, hinch is our coach, and we should support them. Plus, the pitchforks being brought out for something literally every single game makes it lose effect. You could do this for ANY manager.

Why don't we at least save that discussion for the offseason? That seems reasonable to me. During this window where we are still at least in shot of the playoffs, I'd prefer to just enjoy supporting our stros. Of course we're all going to be mad when we blow a late lead or do something stupid, but I guess I don't get the point of being miserable constantly and crapping on every page of the thread.
Ag_07
AG
Agree completely

The problem with that is that the negative Nancy drama queens on here will tear into you and accuse of pumping sunshine up this teams ass when in reality it all needs to be blown up and destroyed because this team fvking sucks.

Enjoy the banter, don't take it personally, and ROOT ROOT ROOT for the Good Guys
bigbass1170
AG
quote:
And this thread is mostly reactionary game by game emotional fan posts. Insulting us doesn't make you any smarter. You are more than free to stay on crawfish boxes and hype up Joe Sclafani with your other circle jerkers.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Lol. I'm not gonna sit here in perfect harmony with this team as players, coaches, and our GM continuously make crap decisions and mistakes.

This doesn't make me any less of a fan.
JJxvi
AG
Joe Musgrove was promoted to AAA.

Puts his AA record in the books at 1.51 ERA, 63 SO, 9 BB in 71.1 innings this year and last.
mazag08
AG
quote:

Puts his AA record in the books at 1.51 ERA, 63 SO, 9 BB in 71.1 innings this year and last.
If he is doing well by mid June I say call him up.
JJxvi
AG
Alex Bregman is 2nd in the Texas League in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR and has only struck out 7 times in 84 PA's
jbanda
AG
So does he or Carlo C. learn to play 3rd base? If Tyler were to get right we'd have a pretty salty infield.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd say it depends on the performance of the rotation. Right now we don't have enough room for the starters we have.

Now I do think he gives us some trade flexibility if we decide we want to part with Fiers or Feldman and they think he can come up and perform just as well.
titanmaster_race
quote:
Alex Bregman is 2nd in the Texas League in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR and has only struck out 7 times in 84 PA's

Sounds like he's not ready to be an astro just yet.
Ag_07
AG
And did any of you guys happen to catch Lunhow on 790 yesterday?

On the subject of Gomez Lunhow said 'He's a good baseball player who's not producing like he should be or even the way he needs to be to stay on this team.'

He went on to say that when he made the trade he was expecting a player like he saw in 2013 and 2014 who hit mid 20s HRs, had the ability to steal bases, and got on base at an .800 clip.

Seemed very up front and brash about Gomez and his struggles lately. Should be an interesting story line as this season progresses and especially if we continue to see a scuffling Gomez.

Found the interview here if anyone wants to listen.
Farmer1906
AG

quote:
got on base at an .800 clip.
Typo?
aggiematt235
AG
Excerpt from the article:

quote:
It's a small test, but we can bring some non-hitting Statcast data into the conversation. In 2015, when making a max-effort throw, Gomez averaged 98.3 mph from the outfield. In 2016, that number is just 92.5 mph. Granted, 92.5 mph is a good number, but that is a substantial decline and might give us reason to worry about Gomez's overall health.

TL;DR This is why Gomez sucks
shano0603
AG
quote:
quote:

We have so many starters, it's going to be a wait and see approach. Not that often does a rookie SP come in and do that well. If out of the 7 starters we have right now, we aren't winning halfway through the season, then go for it. Pitching has been doing a lot better lately.
Ag_07
AG
His OPS was over .800 in both 2013 and 2014
titanmaster_race
Actually a little surprised his K rate is only into the low 30%s
ClickClack
AG
Very interesting analysis on Gomez. Definitely affirms how it has felt watching him since last year. And now it seems he's a drop-off defensively as well.

Several balls Marisnick would have caught this season
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
His OPB was over .800 in both 2013 and 2014
On base % or OPS?

He'd be the greatest player of all time if his OBP was .800.
Ag_07
AG
Yes OPS
iBrad
AG
Danny Worth

2016 Spring Training: .326/.408/.581
2016 PCL (AAA): .366/.455/.624

He doesn't have impressive minor league stats over his career, and in limited major league action hasn't done much, but in AAA last year, he slashed .314/.394/.469, and he's killing it this year. He's only been held hitless four times in 28 games.

I realize the track record for a 30-year-old plays heavily how he's viewed by the organization, but I'd be interested to see what he could do at the big league level while he's hot. It's not like you'd have a hard time finding someone to sit. We have five guys with over 60 ABs batting less than .205.

I'm really just tired of seeing so many guys suck. I know Worth isn't the answer, but it's not like Valbuena has third locked down with his stellar .202 average. Feels like we keep rolling these guys out there hoping for different results. Why not try something new?
Ag_07
AG
We're not that desperate yet. I don't like the idea of bringing up journeymen AAA players just to try something new.

If we're bringing guys up I want to see guys who we think have a legit future on this club. The Tyler Whites, AJ Reeds, and Bregman type players.

Right now with the infield future pretty set I see Worth as a trade piece.
mazag08
AG
It just sucks knowing that a guy is playing the best ball of his career and its being wasted in AAA.
Ag_07
AG
Just think...At one point Jon Singleton was playing his best ball of his career at AAA.
aggiematt235
AG

This is why I'm not a Hinch fan.

I get that we're going against a RHP, but you're looking at basically 4 free outs, which is half of your lineup with Gomez, Valbuena, Kratz, and Marisnick.
NotGibbs
quote:

I get that we're going against a RHP, but you're looking at basically 4 free outs, which is half of your lineup with Gomez, Valbuena, Kratz, and Marisnick.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rasmus has sat a game yet. Castro is on paternity leave, so stassi is the only other option. The only real argument is Tucker sitting on the Bench, and both sides have an argument there.
mazag08
AG
Maris nick is going to prove yall wrong!

And then get pulled in the 5th inning for Tucker with nobody on base.
titanmaster_race
They must think Kratz can catch Keuchel better than Stassi, because there is zero offensive reason why a dude with 1 base hit on the season (a bunt) should ever be in the lineup with someone better behind him (who doesn't need to rest).
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
What a dud of a lineup.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'd be pissed if I were Keuchel.
gougler08
AG
Better hope we have good Keuchel tonight
Ag_07
AG
That bottom four is about as shltty as it gets, but that's what all he's got to work with.

Kratz catching has everything to do with a pitcher/catcher comfort thing. Not really fair to your struggling ace to have him throw to a AAA catcher in his second game of the year.

With Gomez at 1B Valbuena has to play.

Then on Marisnick/Tucker you've got to remember we're playing in Fenway and Tucker and the Green Monster do not mix well. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I think the only thing I'd change is I'd have Rasmus DH, White at 1B, and Gonzo at 3B. Even then you've still got Gomez, Marisnick, and Kratz still in there. Castro not being here actually hurts us pretty bad.
titanmaster_race
quote:

I just ran some numbers. The average batting avg of that lineup is 0.204

Not one, but TWO bats in that lineup (Kratz & Marisnick) are hitting under .150. In fact, they are hitting under .100. In fact, they are hitting under 0.060. In fact, they each have only ONE HIT on the entire season.

Between them, they have 2 hits over 43 AB's, with a combined 23 K's. That's a combined K rate of 53.4%

somebody give me the puke face
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 557

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.