HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

433,796 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8.5. Thats how they did.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Cappo
AG
quote:
Sooo Astros fans, how'd you guys do tonight?

If you asked this the last 2 weeksish, it would be hilarious about 11 of those 14 lately
Gigem Trevas
quote:

That's good and all be we should be more concerned with the team in second place not third.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

That's good and all be we should be more concerned with the team in second place not third.
3B Paul 97
AG
Go ahead and get your licks in now. The Astros are preparing for their run of dominance.
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Go ahead and get your licks in now. The Astros are preparing for their run of dominance.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
So the party line is "Texas is just trying to win right now"?

Well, ok.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
The future certainly looks bright for the Astros, however, it still remains to be seen if your ownership (Crane...not the Rangers ) is willing to spend the money necessary to take that next step. Hoarding prospects gives hope for the future, but if you aren't willing to spend in order to fill in around them or use them to improve the club via trade, then you are put in a position where you absolutely need every one of them to pan out.
3B Paul 97
AG
quote:
quote:

Well, ok.
I never said texas is trying to win right now. I just said the Astros are getting in position to start kicking ass and taking names. The rangers could still win, but not as much as the Stros will.
747Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, ok.
I never said texas is trying to win right now. I just said the Astros are getting in position to start kicking ass and taking names. The rangers could still win, but not as much as the Stros will.
Date TBD?
3B Paul 97
AG
September 2016.
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, ok.
Date TBD?
It's flexible. Even if it's 20 years from now he'll still come back and say told ya so
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, ok.
Date TBD?
It's flexible. Even if it's 20 years from now he'll still come back and say told ya so
It's like the "evening out" argument one particular astros fan keeps making. He doesn't know the timeframe that it'll happen, just that it will eventually. Predictions are more fun when you make them in a way that you can always claim to be correct.
PacifistAg
AG
Nvmd. Too superstitious.
mhayden
While I do think the Astros are in good position for the next several years, is it really something to take a lot of pride in? Your team had to tank for 4 straight years (average of 104 losses) just to *maybe* "start a run of dominance" two years later...

Nearly any team could do that, but not many want to.
3B Paul 97
AG
quote:
Nvmd. Too superstitious.
Go ahead and post it. Rangers fans don't believe luck applies to them.
TexasRebel
AG
Superstition sequencing...
3B Paul 97
AG
quote:
While I do think the Astros are in good position for the next several years, is it really something to take a lot of pride in? Your team had to tank for 4 straight years (average of 104 losses) just to *maybe* "start a run of dominance" two years later...

Nearly any team could do that, but not many want to.
I do take pride in it after suffering through those horrible years. I wouldn't say it is easy to turn around in 2 years as you need more than 3-4 solid pieces for a competitive team. We had an owner whose goal was just to keep the team "good enough" with aging vets and cast offs to keep people coming to the park. Then the decided to burn it to the ground and start over to make the team easier to sell.

I would not want to do that again and it is exciting seeing the young guys get a chance to make a run. This is similar to the early 90's where the Astros were sucking but had guys like Caminti, Biggio, Bagwell, Luis Gonzalez, Darryl Kile, etc coming up.

We have the potential to have a solid core with Springer, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Devenski, Musgrove, Feliz, Reed, etc. I'm glad we didn't mortgage the future for this year, but I do want to see the management go after some guys in free agency in the offseason. Hope the Cuban can do some positive things to take over 3B/DH/LF while adding another OF or two and SP in the offseason (assuming Reed is able to turn it around and play 1st).
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
quote:
The future certainly looks bright for the Astros, however, it still remains to be seen if your ownership (Crane...not the Rangers ) is willing to spend the money necessary to take that next step. Hoarding prospects gives hope for the future, but if you aren't willing to spend in order to fill in around them or use them to improve the club via trade, then you are put in a position where you absolutely need every one of them to pan out.
This, probably more than any other thing, is what is hurting the Astros. You have to have a mix of young/talented players and veteran leadership. Beltre has made Andrus/Odor better, just as they make Profar/Gallo better. What should happen, is that Houston should utilize the core/elite prospects, platoon a handful of utility prospects, and then fill the gaps with solid/proven veterans.

Pair Bregman/Altuve with a Napoli/Moreland/Lind. Go out and get a Red****/Cespedes/Trumbo to be your cleanup hitter and anchor your outfield. You don't have to be the Yankees, but get 2 or 3 everyday guys that can help anchor your infield and outfield and then add maybe one proven bat that can play a position 50 games a year, but fill a hole at DH.

DISCLAIMER: I hope the Astros don't do this, because I enjoy Ranger's dominance.
mhayden
I no doubt agree the "burn it down" approach is easier for a true fan than "keep us middling"... Believe me, I sat through Texas Rangers seasons with Sammy Sosa and the like. Not good enough to win anything, but they'll hit some homeruns and hang around until July which is "good enough".

But if you burn it down -- especially for four years -- then you better be damn sure you come out on the other side with a team that makes it worth it.

Thus far out it's an ALDS loss and what's starting to look like no playoffs -- and 0 division titles -- the first two years out of the gate.

IMO what is holding Houston back is the willingness to go out and pay one or two proven hitters to anchor their lineup. Not necessarily all-stars, but guys you can count to put up productive seasons.
3B Paul 97
AG
That is approach I hope they take.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One of the problems with letting it burn down so thoroughly and for so long is that it's hard to get the fans back in the park. Playoff team last year yet still one of the worst attendance in the league. Improved attendance this year but still below average in spite of coming off that playoff season and expecting to contend for several years.
Spending to fill those holes takes $$$, and when the owner is already prone to being a tightwad, that can be a difficult place to be when the attendance doesn't surge as much as you'd hope.

Plug a few lineup issues with veterans, and they'd be in a great spot.
We fixed the keg
AG
DAMNIT!!!!! We wasted a run. Only needed 6. Too, much, sequencing.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Luckily sequenced our way to another win. At least it was 2 runs this time so our run differential is sky rocketing!
Cappo
AG
35 come from behind wins. Is that good?
We fixed the keg
AG
quote:
Luckily sequenced our way to another win. At least it was 2 runs this time so our run differential is sky rocketing!
40% increase in just one game.....
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
35 come from behind wins. Is that good?
No. Just lucky. Fangraphs told me so.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Not wasted, PIZZA!
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
Not wasted, PIZZA!
How many Trestros fans will enjoy half price pizza on the Rangers?

TexasRebel
AG
I don't eat pizza off of people, but it's good that they cut the price. That just sounds gross!
Gigem Trevas
Where's all the Astros fans talking **** about the Rangers getting beat by the twins?
TexasRebel
AG
It's not an L yet!
Frisco - Ag
AG
Will strahoes score again this season?

/choke city
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Will strahoes score again this season?

/choke city
wat
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.