HOU@TEX Trash Talking Thread

436,507 Views | 3968 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Charlie Conway
Cynical_Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The bravado of Ranger fans absolutely amazes me. Yankee fans don't talk this much *****

They're 14-3 against their division rivals. They've single handily wrecked our season.

I have no problem with all the shlt they talk. It sucks to have to listen to, but it's justified. Nothing to do but grow a pair and take it.

Hat tip to you. The good news is we are pulling for the same team Saturday.
Agree.

I was hoping HOU made a wild card again, would be cool to see both Texas teams in the ALCS someday.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
quote:
The bravado of Ranger fans absolutely amazes me. Yankee fans don't talk this much *****

They're 14-3 against their division rivals. They've single handily wrecked our season.

I have no problem with all the shlt they talk. It sucks to have to listen to, but it's justified. Nothing to do but grow a pair and take it.

If the roles were reversed, I would FULLY expect to be catching just as much hell from Houston fans.

That's the way baseball go.
Cynical_Texan
AG

MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it's funny how much attention the Rangers record against the Astros is getting. I even saw that Buster Olney commented on it. The thing is, every good team picks on a weak sister and that helps their winning percentage go up. Every .500 ball team has a good team they just can't seem to get past.

It's being talked about because in games not against each other their records are virtually identical.
And the fact that the domination is historical.
hawk1689
AG
How is it historical? Good teams beat ****ty ones all the time.
TexasRebel
AG
So, in this case, it's historically siginificant when the opposite happens.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
How is it historical? Good teams beat ****ty ones all the time.
I just remember seeing somewhere on here that it's historical because of the percentage rate of domination being higher than anyone else.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it's funny how much attention the Rangers record against the Astros is getting. I even saw that Buster Olney commented on it. The thing is, every good team picks on a weak sister and that helps their winning percentage go up. Every .500 ball team has a good team they just can't seem to get past.

It's being talked about because in games not against each other their records are virtually identical.
And the fact that the domination is historical.

Congrats!! You've dominated a team that was tanking for half the time we've been playing each other.
hawk1689
AG
Shouldn't you be telling me that I sound like a sip or that I've only been following since 2010?
TexasRebel
AG
No?
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
Congrats!! You've dominated a team that was tanking for half the time we've been playing each other.
You have a point that half that time, the Astros were in tear down/rebuild mode. However, last year the Astros were a playoff team and this year they were trendy preseason picks to make the WS. In that stretch, the Rangers hold a 28-9 advantage.
Ag_07
AG
Oh I'm not arguing the recent domination. I'm arguing that it's not historic.

The overall record is 83-49 (adv TEX)
The record from 2013 to present is 53-22 (adv TEX)
The record prior to that (2001-2013) is 30-27 (adv TEX)

Besides the recent domination (which again I'm not arguing) it's been pretty close. To say it's historic is wrong.
mhayden
It depends on what you deem "historic".

Over the last decade, no MLB team has dominated another like Texas has Houston.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Shouldn't you be telling me that I sound like a sip or that I've only been following since 2010?

I can't tell you how many times I've been called a "sip" on this website, just because I don't have a tag. If I say, literally, anything not overly negative about them, I get called a "sip".

Texas has a quarterback? Sip.
Texas' colors are burnt orange? Sip
I like Interstellar? Sip.
mhayden
Scratch that... Houston fans questioning just how "historic" it is got me running the data a little further back.

Last 50 years, highest win% versus another team (min 100 games):

5) Atlanta Braves over Colorado Rockies (116-76) - 60.4%
4) Oakland Athletics over Tampa Bay Rays (101-62) - 61.6%
3) St. Louis Cardinals over Arizona Diamondbacks (82-51) - 61.7%
2) Cleveland Indians over Tampa Bay Rays (144-89) - 61.8%
1) Texas Rangers over Houston Astros (95-52) - 64.6%

Actually just filtered it back from 1907-2016... and yup....

Over the last 100 years of Major League Baseball, no team has dominated the other like Texas has Houston.

Ag_07
AG
But what percentage of those wins have come recently? Call it the last 5 years?

The recent domination is so one sided it skews the whole historically argument.
Cynical_Texan
AG

quote:
I wouldn't call you sip for that. I just wouldn't believe your recommendation that a movie is good.
Slicer97
AG
It's over a 100 year time span with a minimum of 100 games. When the wins occurred isn't relevant.

No team has dominated another the way the Rangers have the Astros at any time during that span overy the course of 100 or more games.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
Oh I'm not arguing the recent domination. I'm arguing that it's not historic.

The overall record is 83-49 (adv TEX)
The record from 2013 to present is 53-22 (adv TEX)
The record prior to that (2001-2013) is 30-27 (adv TEX)

Besides the recent domination (which again I'm not arguing) it's been pretty close. To say it's historic is wrong.
I think you got your numbers wrong:

2001 - 2012: 42-30 (.583) - TEX
2013 - 2016: 53-22 (.707) - TEX

I'm assuming you got the numbers from the Lone Star Series wiki page. if so, the overall record listed is not accurate. If you add the year-by-year numbers up, it's a 95-52 record overall. And the 2001-2012 totals include seasons that the Astros were playoff teams and the Rangers struggled to finish out of the cellar.
Ag_07
AG
Seems like we're both right. We're on different pages here.

I'm referring to it being historically a one sided series. It's only recently been lopsided.

You're saying the recent domination is historic. Which it is.
PacifistAg
AG
Even before the Astros were forced to the AL, it was one-sided. Rangers held a 42-30 advantage from 2001 - 2012, including a 9-3 lead in the season series. The difference doesn't look as wide, not because it was close, but because the two teams only played each other 6 times a season. But the Rangers won those games at a .583 clip.
mhayden
Exactly... And we're not talking about better than other head-to-heads by a percentage point or so.

Texas win percentage over Houston is almost 3 percentage points higher than #2.

And adding even more insult to injury -- the other 4 "losers" that comprise that list? Rockies, Rays (2x), Diamondbacks... Expansion teams that got absolutely owned in the first few years of existence as expected.

Astros have been around since 1962...
Ag2012
AG
Eliminate the 1 run games cause those don't count
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
quote:

I can't tell you how many times I've been called a "sip" on this website, just because I don't have a tag. If I say, literally, anything not overly negative about them, I get called a "sip".

Texas has a quarterback? Sip.
Texas' colors are burnt orange? Sip
/sip
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Well we have a 1 run game.
TexasRebel
AG
Do what?
FW Declerk
Dutch Over sucks.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
Do what?
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Well we have a 1 run game.
3B Paul 97
AG
I'm going to bed while the Astros have the lead.
Mr Gigem
AG
quote:
Dutch Over sucks.

1st place
Farmer1906
AG
SCOREBOARD MUTHA ****ERS.

Guess you'll have to wait another 200ish days to get a shot at taking the belt back. Better luck next year, suckas.
TexasRebel
AG
Duces!
PacifistAg
AG
quote:

Guess you'll have to wait another 200ish days to get a shot at taking the belt back. Better luck next year, suckas.

Wait. The astros are giving out belts for winning a single game? What's next? A flag to challenge other teams to come and take the division?
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:

Now you just sound like a sip.

Not planning on making the postseason, huh?
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.