Astros 2015 improbable, inconceivable march to the World Series UPDATED OP WARNING

3,165,463 Views | 31862 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mazag08
youandwhosearmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Keuchel yelling at Deshields to sit down after striking him out, in route to a 10-0 win over the Rangers the day after the Odor dustup

SeaBasstian
quote:
Whoever makes the thread for next season, make sure to change it to "Astro's Highly Likely and very probable March to the World Series".
I'll keep that in mind.

Guys, great season...sorry I wasn't around that much. Very excited for next year. Couple of thoughts:

I like Hinch and think he's the right man for the job
I wouldn't be sorry to see Qualls and Lowrie go.
They need to sign a power arm for the bullpen this off season.

All in all, great season, and see all you degenerates next year.
MW13
AG
I was at the game in Arlington, on the right field line when Springer made his catch. It was thing of beauty and pure awesomeness as my cheers could be heard throughout the stunned silence of the stadium. Best play I've ever seen in person.
Houston Summit
AG
I love you muhfuggas. It was one hell of a ride this year. I'll see you jackasses next March

Now, follow me to the basketball other board and let's get #ClutchCity 2015-2016 underway
astros4545
AG
quote:
I was at the game in Arlington, on the right field line when Springer made his catch. It was thing of beauty and pure awesomeness as my cheers could be heard throughout the stunned silence of the stadium. Best play I've ever seen in person.

In KC in July, seeing Correa make the back handed jump throw with 2 outs in bottom 9th to force extra innings. The stadium going quiet with my buddies and I going crazy
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
Whoever makes the thread for next season, make sure to change it to "Astro's Highly Likely and very probable March to the World Series".
I'll keep that in mind.

Guys, great season...sorry I wasn't around that much. Very excited for next year. Couple of thoughts:

I like Hinch and think he's the right man for the job
I wouldn't be sorry to see Qualls and Lowrie go.
They need to sign a power arm for the bullpen this off season.

All in all, great season, and see all you degenerates next year.

I thought you died
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
So looking forward to next year, I decided to look at our #s vs the rest of the league by position. To keep it simple I limited to OPS which is a decent metric to show the offensive productivity of a player.

Lets start with the positives. We have the best short stop in baseball. We have a well above average second baseman and right fielder. This isn't anything we didn't know already.A 21, 25, and 25 year old are the core of our team for many years to come.

To me the most glaring need for improvement is DH. Gattis is not going to cut it. He's well below the median of AL DH's. If its through FA or if its through the minors (AJ Reed) we need to upgrade at DH next year. Its as simple as that.

Next is Mr. September. We cannot wait around for Carter to come around again. Even with the late season surge, he is a below median hitting first baseman. Some have some said Gonzalez should jump in and the #s say he's better than the median, but I think I like him better as a spot starter and UTL guy.I think the obvious choice here is to bring up AJ Reed. Maybe Tyler White too and have 1 DH and 1 play 1st. Regardless this is a position that needs an upgrade and we have guys ready to try in the minors.

Moving on to 3rd, Valbeuna lived off an early season hot streak that kept him even with an average AL third baseman.I think his defense, the lack of a true MLB ready prospect (we can debate 26 year old Duffy) behind him, and other more glaring needs will keep him here next year. Plus we have a great UTL guy in Marwin that will need some PT and Jed, who at this point in his career, is a UTL guy too.

On to catcher. Castro is a below avg hitter, but there is an argument that his defense makes up for it. I haven't ever dived in deep enough to fully prove or disprove that. I doubt major changes are made. I barely consider Conger a real option. His defense (throwing) is beyond bad. I would like to see more of Stassi, but I don't have high hopes.

Outfield is the biggest question mark for me. Outside of Springer, who knows what is going on. Ramus was clearly our 2nd best OF, but he is a FA and there is a of guys in the pipeline. Do you pay him? What is his market value? How short of a deal will he take? I know there are mixed opinions on Gogo, but with what we gave up for him and what he's done in years past, to me he's a opening day CF next year. I believe he'll come around or at least management will give him a chance to. Jake has almost had 700 MLB ABs. I think he is nothing more than what he showed this year. A stud defensive CF that is very limited at the plate. I don't think he has a future here. I am ready to see what Tucker, Kemp, and Fisher can do in his place. Speaking of Tucker, he is needs more opportunities. Vs RHP his OPS was over .800 as a rookie. Whether its LF or DH, he needs to be in the line up vs righties next year.
k20dub
AG
Not to dive into what we should do in the offseason, but realistically speaking, I don't see us adding too much. Obviously we will have to sign some BP help, but outside of that I see small moves. Chris Davis would fit this team perfectly though. Strikes out a ton, but also led the MLB in HRs. He probably comes with a high price tag though.
AgFan1999
AG
Gomez is under contract for next year.

Lowrie is under contract through either 2017 or 18.

Conger is under club control through 2017.
Coby
AG
Will there be an offseason thread or is this one just going to keep going?
Texaggie7nine
This is pretty cool

7nine
Ag_07
AG
What about...

Orbits big ole ostrich boner
GoGo talking smack at the Yanks then saying afterward he DGAF
Dallas screaming about poosay into the mics after Fiers no no
Jason Castro 2 HRs in 3 games including a walk-off
Gattis game winning hit in a pitch 3 feet over his head
ClickClack
AG
quote:
Gattis game winning hit in a pitch 3 feet over his head

Hitting it to the wall on a ball that was eye level
att hello
quote:
I love you muhfuggas. It was one hell of a ride this year. I'll see you jackasses next March

Now, follow me to the basketball other board and let's get #ClutchCity 2015-2016 underway

I went to many Astros games with my grandpa and have been a lifelong fan. However, I grew up in San Antonio and Austin, so I've also been a lifelong Spurs fan. The Rockets are going to have a good year, but they're not beating my Spurs, if the Rockets even make it that deep in the playoffs.

Edit - Quick question. We used to always stay at the Galleria when we were in town to watch a game. The other teams always stayed there too. You could catch them walking around the mall before the games and you could wait outside after the game for the team buses. Does this still happen? I have a four year old who loves baseball and will probably want to snag a few autographs in the next few years.
Houston Summit
AG
quote:
I went to many Astros games with my grandpa and have been a lifelong fan

quote:
However, I grew up in San Antonio and Austin, so I've also been a lifelong Spurs fan

quote:
The Rockets are going to have a good year, but they're not beating my Spurs, if the Rockets even make it that deep in the playoffs

Get out
mazag08
AG
I'm optimistic about what Luhnow will do between now and March, the young talent, and the general team. I'm extremely pessimistic about coaching. What did our hitting coach do this year? And another year of similar coaching by Hinch will have us nowhere near the playoffs. We aren't playing like we did in April ever again, and that month is the reason Hinch is considered a success. Outside of that, the guy did a joke of a job ad should be fired. Literally lost us over 10 games with nothing more than his own stupid lefty righty decisions. We won't reach our potential until we have a smart coach with balls. This one is not that.
Sea Gull
AG
What about Tony Kemp as a leadoff guy?

If the Astros don't resign Rasmus, I would like to give Kemp a shot. Seems to get on base quite a bit, so they could stick him at leadoff, move Altuve to 2nd and then put Springer in the 4 hole.
mazag08
AG
I think I would trade Gomez for a top power reliever.. and then Kemp gets a shot. You always have Marisnick as backup.

I think it's a no brainer to kick Valbuena to the curb. He's a selfish player and he's not very good. We need consistency at the plate.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I think I would trade Gomez for a top power reliever.. and then Kemp gets a shot. You always have Marisnick as backup.

I think it's a no brainer to kick Valbuena to the curb. He's a selfish player and he's not very good. We need consistency at the plate.
You'd e selling low on Gomez and who knows what kind of arm you'd get in return.

What has Valbuena done that is selfish? Do you think Duffy is the answer at 3rd? What FA would you sign?
mazag08
AG
I think Duffy should have gotten more of a shot in September. Right now, I think you go with a combination of Lowrie, Marwin, and Duffy. None of them are as bad or as inconsistent as Valbuena.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I think Duffy should have gotten more of a shot in September. Right now, I think you go with a combination of Lowrie, Marwin, and Duffy. None of them are as bad or as inconsistent as Valbuena.
Duffy wasn't enough of a sample size and absolutely Lowrie was worse.
Coby
AG
quote:
I grew up in San Antonio and Austin, so I've also been a lifelong Spurs fan.
Go Spurs Go.
Texaggie7nine
I was in New Orleans over the last weekend. It was pretty cool to hear from lots of different Astro fans that live over there and all the way back when people saw me in Stro gear.
7nine
Sea Gull
AG
You don't want to trade Gomez.

I'm bummed that Lowrie has such a long contract.
annie88
AG
I've been bummed all damn day. Shoulda wrapped it up Monday. I have to say I'm disappointed in my Astros, but they did have a great season. But, I'll be back in the spring.
WES2006AG
AG
Looks like we will have 1 more season with Tals Hill. That is disappointing.
shano0603
AG
quote:
Looks like we will have 1 more season with Tals Hill. That is disappointing.

mwm
Interesting...TAMU can implode & rebuild the west stands in 9 months but the 'stros can't remove Tal's Hill in 5 months? And why are they letting a cricket game get in the way?
k20dub
AG
**** that Hinch guy though

mazag08
AG
He can hand out lollipops and scratch their backs for all I care.. still doesn't make his decision making good.

Did the team gel and was everyone happy helping them play over their heads for half the season?

Yeah.

Did Hinch make some of the dumbest decisions and cost us at least 10 games?

Yeah.

Did the team ultimately play with a lack of backbone like their apologizing coach who backs down from everyone?

Yeah.
TexasRebel
AG
Is that real?

Am I still drunk?!
k20dub
AG
Will Hinch draw serious consideration for Manager of the Year and have a good chance of winning?

Yeah.
JJxvi
AG
Just saying that Hinch cost us 10 wins is a ridiculous loony tunes assessment. The implication is that a manager would thus have an equivalent affect on a team as having a player like Babe Ruth on the roster (10+ WAR).

With 10 more wins we are 96-66 this year. This roster is not that talented and in fact this roster is closer to the same roster that lost 90 games than having been completely overturned. This Mickey Mouse thinking must mean that Cecil Cooper was a manager that costs a team 30 wins and that the 2014 Astros were a really good team if not for him or some BS.
mazag08
AG
quote:
Just saying that Hinch cost us 10 wins is a ridiculous loony tunes assessment. The implication is that a manager would thus have an equivalent affect on a team as having a player like Babe Ruth on the roster (10+ WAR).

With 10 more wins we are 96-66 this year. This roster is not that talented and in fact this roster is closer to the same roster that lost 90 games than having been completely overturned. This Mickey Mouse thinking must mean that Cecil Cooper was a manager that costs a team 30 wins and that the 2014 Astros were a really good team if not for him or some BS.

Cecil Cooper was not the coach last year. And yes, last year's team could have been much better with a better coach than Bo Porter.

And yes, AJ Hinch cost us at least 10 games. I could probably attribute more to him, but I'm trying to be fair. He literally coached no different than Bo Porter. Exact ****ing same. The difference was a better talent and better pitching. Bo Porter could have won 85 with this team. The no holds barred lefty righty matchups, the constant shifting of the lineup, the never in doubt usage of struggling pitchers in late inning crucial scenarios while guys pitching well ride the bench, and the over loyalty to terrible players while infinitely more talented ones ride the bench are all contributing factors to this team not reaching it's potential.

Another year of this exact same team would have us missing the playoffs. Hinch lucked out with an uncharacteristically, incredibly hot month from Marisnick, Valbuena, and the starting staff.
JJxvi
AG
Obviously I meant Bo Porter. But yes, I agree that keeping this same roster likely misses the playoffs. Because the roster is not very good, and I suspect at least 2 other teams in our divisions will improve and we were barely good enough anyway. Has nothing to do with Hinch, who IMO was probably a large net positive. Picking a choosing certain games that Hinch "lost" (which of course is almost impossible to do in reverse to find games he won) is a fool's errand. For one, you don't even (cannot possibly) have a grasp of what "the typical manager" would have done in the same situation to judge as a baseline, and even if you could know that, you don't know that the result would have been positive instead of negative. Your "he cost us 10 games" is as big of a joke as your constant railing on Dave Hudgens.
First Page Last Page
Page 906 of 911

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.