Cubs thread v2.0

579,158 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Magic number is 11.
Know Your Enemy
AG
#20 will have to wait for Arrieta but the Cubs win 3-2 in 12 innings. Really need to take game 4 tomorrow. That would put us in good shape to catch the Pirates with three games left at Wrigley.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Obviously not impossible but I think today's game is a must win if we're wanting to host that play in game.

Magic # is 10
Biz Ag
AG
Four home runs already and we're still in the top of the 5th.

Are we sure this game isn't being played at Wrigley?

Still nobody out and the Cubs lead, 9-4.
Know Your Enemy
AG
W

And now the Cubs get three at Wrigley with the Cards and the Pirates head west to face Greinke & Kershaw.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Great interview with Rizzo & Bryant.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13667358
Know Your Enemy
AG
My niece's husband (nephew-in-law?) works for a company that was hired to work on the new clubhouse. I jokingly told him to take a bunch of pictures on the down low and send them to me. He said they were required to sign waivers stating that they wouldn't talk to media, post pictures on social media, interact with anyone from the franchise, or take anything from the stadium, including dirt. I'm not sure if it's common speculation in the Chicago area but my nephew (not the same kid) has a crazy theory that Kris Bryant is an alcoholic and that's why he plays better in night games. The nephew-in-law texted saying that KB walked into the park just now wearing sunglasses, a sure sign that he is hungover.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Been a good last couple of days. The bullpen is still pretty scary, but they held on long enough for the extra innings win Wednesday.
Biz Ag
AG
Bryant not in the starting lineup today.
Biz Ag
AG
Len Kasper just said Cub rookies have 61 home runs this season (club record). Schwarber has 16.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Bryant not in the starting lineup today.

Oh ****.
Biz Ag
AG
Cubs take opener over Cards, 8-3.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Magic number is 8!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs have the 3rd best record in baseball at this moment, 1/2 game ahead of the Royals who are tied 1-1 with the Tigers in the 8th inning. Crazy.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Things got a little heated today with guys getting plunked.

Really nice to see Castro go from sitting on the bench to having his recent success.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Pirates & Giants lost so we are now only 1 game behind Pittsburgh for 2nd and the magic number is down to 7.
AgShaun00
Say Chowdah
AG
Maddon is such an ass!
Know Your Enemy
AG
If by ass you mean best manager in baseball, I totally agree.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs scored 2 in the first against Wacha.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Soler & Bryant just hit back-to-back HR's. Cubs up 4-1.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Crazy ending but we hung on to beat Wacha and the Cards again. Only 1/2 game behind the Pirates.

Go Dodgers!
BobOliver2006
AG
Based on the last 2 weeks, I'm really hoping the Cubs get to face lynn and wacha in the NLDS
BobOliver2006
AG
and we're finally on the cusp of getting to see Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, Baez, and Russell in the same lineup...
BobOliver2006
AG
Joe Maddon calls bull**** on the Cardinals Way
deadspin.com/joe-maddon-calls-bull****-on-the-cardinals-way-1731838043

quote:
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball...You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."
BobOliver2006
AG
Sorry for the crappy link... I'm on my phone. Obviously replace the **** in the url with something else...
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:

quote:
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball...You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."

I call BS on this. He IS the instigator in chief! Nobody starts more **** than he does.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

I call BS on this. He IS the instigator in chief! Nobody starts more **** than he does.

Hey don't rain on my propaganda parade!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sounds like you have an old grudge from his Tampa days.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Sounds like you have an old grudge from his Tampa days.

I wouldn't call it a grudge as much as I've seen his exhausting approach to the game for far longer than Cubs fans have.

He is a great on field manager and a total ass at the same time. He's admitted he likes to stir the pot to "make the game interesting". I just think it is bush league.

His teams have constantly started fights with others. He trolls the opposing teams with a fervor that wouldn't happen if he had to face up to his words (meaning if he stepped into the batters box and got drilled for his antics).

And it wasn't just against the Red Sox he pulled this crap. He does it to multiple teams. Hell, the quote I used above was following an inter league game when he was with Tampa playing against the Cards. He started some crap and stated that he thinks it is "good for the game. It gives people something to talk about around the water cooler."
Lance Uppercut
AG
Those comments are pretty small potatoes when it comes to being the biggest jerk in baseball. Guy's a great manager and protecting one of the biggest parts of his team by stating the obvious...don't throw at someone after something that was clearly a mistake. Cubs hit someone with a man on in a tie game...Cardinals retaliate once the Cubs tee off a few times and take a big lead. I guess I didn't watch him a lot in Tampa Bay, but I've watched a lot of Cubs games and they aren't exactly a bunch of trash talkers looking for fights.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Guy's a great manager and protecting one of the biggest parts of his team by stating the obvious...don't throw at someone after something that was clearly a mistake.

Yeah, with Maddon, it is always a mistake when it is his guys doing it and it is always intentional when someone else does it. That is how he rolls.

In a 3 game series TB pitchers hit 5 opposing players (including a head beaning). The opposing team hit none in retaliation. All 5 were mistakes, right?

One series he told the press to come back tomorrow if they really wanted to see fireworks. He sent his goons out there with one purpose. The sheet started in the very first inning.

quote:
I've watched a lot of Cubs games and they aren't exactly a bunch of trash talkers looking for fights.
I'm hoping his new bosses have given him a short leash on that crap.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Lance Uppercut
AG
You've inferred multiple times they're throwing at people...in the 5th inning of a one run game to put 2 people on to come around to the top of the lineup with only one out for a team looking to improve their playoff standing? That's clearly an accident.

Regardless of whatever happened in the past, Maddon is going to bat for his franchise player. That's what a manager is supposed to do in that situation.
First Page Last Page
Page 67 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.