Cubs thread v2.0

573,371 Views | 6317 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hendricks with his ML debut today.

Went 6 innings, gave up 4 earned. 7 Ks. He got in trouble in the first by walking 3. But recovered nicely and had a great outing. Would be huge if they could count on him as a 3/4 guy in the rotation.

Alacantra with his first ML hit and 3 RBIs.

[This message has been edited by Theo is a Touchdown (edited 7/10/2014 1:41p).]
Know Your Enemy
bluestainedivy
Just kidding TimAg, I missed you too.

So things are looking up for the good guys these days. The farms starting to get loaded with bats. Management seems to be signing and flipping the right guys. The youth are developing. Coaches seem to get this team and the team plays hard with fewer boneheaded plays than we're used to seeing. That makes the losses easier to bear. We are losing a lot, but 1) we're losing and competing against better quality teams and were still playing smarter than I've seen since I can remember in a long time

It was good to see ol' Rizzo going after Aroldis today, showing some good leadership for a kid. And Castro seems to have pulled his head out of his butt. Some of that could be blamed on Sveum, I'm sure
Lance Uppercut
AG
Alcantara had an impressive day at the plate. He's very fast.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Alcantara stole 2nd, and Aggie Justin Ruggiano just drove him in to win the game in the bottom of the 9th.

Know Your Enemy
bluestainedivy
http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2014/07/trade-value-justin-ruggiano.php#.U8a7XI1dXqo

Interesting article on Ruggiano's trade value. It would be nice for us fans if they kept him especially if they only got another project in return. I certainly understand if he was part of a package for a bigger deal though.
10andBOUNCE
AG
He's been really hot now so his value will probably never be this high.
BobOliver2006
AG
yesterday's MiLB performances...
Baez 2-4, 2B, HR, K
Bryant 3-5, 2B, HR, K
Russell 2-4, HR
Soler 1-2, HR, 2 BB, K
Schwarber 2-4, K
Vogelbach 2-3, HR
10andBOUNCE
AG
Bomb squad baby!

Baez also played his first game at 2B. Unless he has another significant slump before September, I'd expect to see him playing alongside Castro with Mendy in CF to close the year.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bryant has been absolutely raking at every level. I'm starting to wonder if he may be starting at 3B for the big squad next season.
bluestainedivy
Gotta be. I've seen plenty of Valbuena rumors and Olt, despite his power, just isn't cutting it. Although Luis would be a great guy off the bench
Know Your Enemy
AG
Early returns on our most recent #1 pick are in.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=chicagocubs&id=25941&city=chicago&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fs3Fxf48iqr%22%7D
Know Your Enemy
AG
Darwin Barney DFA'd
10andBOUNCE
AG
Long time coming. That and Javy Baez supposedly playing the majority of the remainder of the AAA season at 2B = Cubs starting 2Bmen starting Sept 1.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rizzo is on a major tear. Two more HR's tonight.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Soler promoted to AAA
Almora up to AA
Olt down to AAA

Exciting times! Wish that Iowa team was closer. That would be fun to see all those guys. Of course they were just down in Round Rock
Know Your Enemy
AG
They're playing at OKC in a couple weeks. Maybe I should go.
bluestainedivy
I got to go the Sunday night game at round rock. Unfortunately, that was the game they lost. I was most excited about seeing Bryant but he pulled an 0 for 4 and wasn't tracking the ball all that well. The whole offense calmed a bit so I would just chalk that up to it being the last game of 4-game road set (the only one they lost). I see what everyone says now about Baez's swing. It's violently beautiful. He hit three singles. Trade bait 1B Lars Anderson probably did the best on offense.

Vizcaino hit triple digits and kept his stuff down low. I was impressed. I'm excited about what we've got coming up next season. The future is brighter than we've hoped for in a while boys
Know Your Enemy
AG
Barney was traded to the Dodgers for a PTBNL.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Cubs just wrapped up their longest game in franchise history, a 16 inning, 4-3 win over the Rockies.

They resorted to sending catcher John Baker to the mound in the top of the 16th, and he got a pop and a double play. He walked to start the bottom half and eventually came around as the winning run.

I was just checking boxes before going to bed and saw that the game was still on. It was weird to see a Cubs game that empty.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I actually watched the last 6 innings or so.
10andBOUNCE
AG
The highlights of Baker pitching and scoring later were great
. . .
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs traded James Russell & Emilio Bonifacio to the Braves for a switch hitting catcher from their A ball team. He is 20 and was drafted in 2013. He was an all star this year with an OPS in the high .800's. Sounds like we made a good deal. He ranked 7 or 8 in the Braves farm system.
BobOliver2006
AG
has there been any further speculation on the PTBNL in the Samardzija trade? it seemed like initial thoughts were an injured pitcher... how long can PTBNLs go undecided? a year?
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Long time coming. That and Javy Baez supposedly playing the majority of the remainder of the AAA season at 2B = Cubs starting 2Bmen starting Sept 1.

Baez will join the big club tomorrow. I have a weird sports boner right now.

[This message has been edited by Junkhead (edited 8/4/2014 1:17p).]
bluestainedivy
Beat me to it Junkhead (except for the second part). I wonder where they'll be playing him. 3rd? OF? 2B? I need to know!!!
Andy07
AG
quote:
The Cubs just wrapped up their longest game in franchise history, a 16 inning, 4-3 win over the Rockies.

They resorted to sending catcher John Baker to the mound in the top of the 16th, and he got a pop and a double play. He walked to start the bottom half and eventually came around as the winning run.

I was just checking boxes before going to bed and saw that the game was still on. It was weird to see a Cubs game that empty.

Well that's not true, I was at the Cubs v Astros game that went 18 innings in 2006. Baseball almanac has a 22 inning game that appears to be the longest.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=192705170BSN

The Boston pitcher threw all 22 innings.
Lance Uppercut
AG
You both beat me to it. I'm guessing Lake gets sent down, but who knows.

Baez played all but 16 games at Short in the minors. Those other 16 were at 2nd. They've stuck Alcantara in the outfield a little but he's clearly at home at 2nd.

Lance Uppercut
AG
Longest in terms of time. 6 hours 27 minutes.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I have to believe Baez will play 2B and Alcantara will move back to the OF.
10andBOUNCE
AG
AA playing center, batting first
Baez playing 2b, batting second

Looking forward to tuning in to the game tonight!
Know Your Enemy
AG
1 for 6 with 3 K's in his MLB debut, but Javy Baez with the game winning HR in the 12th inning. I'll take it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Read that he hit the ball well for what it's worth. I think we all know he will have his share of Ks but you can't teach the power that kid has. Hope he gets a good feel the rest of the year and is ready to roll next April.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.