Cubs thread v2.0

579,112 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hah, I was going to post the same thing.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Baker continues to mash the ball against LHP. I caught the last couple innings - looks like Marlon is swinging the bat much better. My boy Colvin continues to struggle. And I hope Marmol stops being an adventure in the 9th.

Cubs win series opener 7-4
Know Your Enemy
AG
DUH, WINNING!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs choke another one away.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I want a sweep out of the disastros.
I want Colvin to start raking.
I want Pena to start mashing.
I want Russell to not start on tuesday.
bluestainedivy
quote:
I hope Marmol stops being an adventure in the 9th.

The same could be said for Woody in the 8th, and I felt this way prior to yesterday's game.
WhataMaroon88
AG
I don't know what Quade was doing watching Dempster get raked in the 7th after throwing 115 pitches, but we pull out game 1.

Fortunately, Marshall and Marmol did their thing as usual, and got us the win.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Quade left Dempster in too long? Sounds like Opening Day all over again.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I can understand Quade sending him out after 98 pitches after he had a little bit of a struggle fest in the 6th...only with a short leash...which he clearly did not have. Apparently the leash was almost giving up a 4 run lead. Since Russell is going tomorrow, I can understand him trying to get a little greedy in squeezing Dempster out another inning. They do have an off day on Thursday so no reason to think he can't expend the pen this series.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Dempster already had a high pitch count. He gives up one homer. Then Bourne almost hits another home run, one that had to be reviewed on video to determine that he "only" got a double. Then Sanchez homers.

Why leave him in after Bourne? I know he was trying to stay out of the pen because of who's starting today...but come on. Keyboard coaching, I know, but that seems like an easy decision to make to me.
10andBOUNCE
AG
As I said a few days ago, I did not want to see Russell start. I have no idea why Quade thought it would be a good idea. Basically just a wasted game unless our lethargic offense can put up some crooked numbers. Already down 5-0 after 2. Barf.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Why did Russell start today? Wasn't it Z's spot in the rotation?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yes - that is why I was confused. Z pitched the opener in Milwaukee on Friday. I guess going yesterday would have been throwing a day early since they had an off day last Thursday in between Dempster and Z.

In other news, anyone other than Mamol, Marshall or Wood (maybe Mateo) is terrible from the pen. And Brett Myers is apparently a Cy-Young now.
Macpappy99
AG
My understanding is that Russell was going becuase of Cashner and Wells being on the DL and they didn't want Dempster and Z going back to back. He was god awful. A left handed pitcher allowing a runner to steal a base on two consecutive pitches is nuts. I was at the game last night and knew it was going to be bad as soon as the first two batters got on via bunts. There was just a general lack of fundamentals last night. They had tons of opprotunities with runners on and none of the players would shorten up thier swing to make contact. I have to give it up to the Astros because as soon as they had runners in scoring position they just put the bat on the ball and it fell. As of right now the Cubs only have one stolen base. I'll keep saying this, but until they have a real speed threat they aren't going to progress much as a team.
bluestainedivy
I'm sure it's not news, but it hasn't been mentioned here...the Cubs signed Ramon Ortiz and Doug Davis to minor league deals. Obviously, those guys aren't much to get excited about and likely are reason to be nervous. Should we take the hint that Wells and Cashner won't be back any time soon?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Who and who?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Castro just led off with a single. Kid is a badass. Game on WGN.
Know Your Enemy
AG
5 runs in the first off Wandy, capped by a 3-run Soriano bomb.
bluestainedivy
Thank goodness they're playing the Astros. The Cubs still blew opportunities. It's nice to have a road series win but I don't feel great about it. The starters have not been as good as I expected. The bullpen except for Marshall and, for the most part, Marmol has been shaky. The offense has no baserunning ability to speak of and on top of their inability to manufacture offense they can't hit with RISP. I know we had two good innings tonight but otherwise it's been disappointing.

Two questions:

- Is it just me or does Quade have a hard time knowing when to pull his starters?
- how many HRs does Z have at MMP?
WhataMaroon88
AG
I think Quade knows that our middle relief is total garbage right now. We are really thin with arms right now all around. Our righties aren't throwing well at all. Our only saving grace is that the younger guys and platoon guys are hitting the ball hard early on. Offensively, we have a good nucleus it seems. Although, we are still a boom/bust team with no ability to manufacture.

As for Big Z. I believe that was his SIXTH homerun against the Astros. That's sick.
bluestainedivy
That's six of his career twenty-two. He's now in the top 10 all-time for HRs by a pitcher.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I would be totally fine having Big Z starting at 1B in place of Pena this weekend.
bluestainedivy
quote:

Could be a lot worse for the Cubs

BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com Apr 14, 2011 2:14AM

HOUSTON — If the Cubs know anything just four series into the season it’s that not much has looked very pretty these first 12 games.

They also know one more thing: It could be a lot worse.

And part of that last point was made Wednesday night during the Cubs’ rout-turned-nail-biter, 9-5 win against the Houston Astros that closed out a series victory and evened their overall record as they take a day off just ahead of a weekend series in Colorado.

A .500 start against what was ­considered a mostly soft early ­schedule isn’t the way Cubs ­optimists drew it up.

But if you knew going into the season that the top three starting pitchers on the staff — Ryan Dempster, Carlos Zambrano and Matt Garza — would have two quality starts among them through eight combined starts overall, what chance would you have given them of being anywhere near .500? Especially with the Nos. 4 and 5 starters on the ­disabled list after one start each?

‘‘We’re doing OK, and we have room to be much better,’’ pitching coach Mark Riggins said, ‘‘especially those three.’’

Two nights after Opening Day starter Dempster earned his first win, Zambrano (2-0) looked like he might throw the staff’s first shutout.

He cruised through a dominating five innings Wednesday night, then hit a mammoth home run in the top of the sixth for a 6-0 lead — before quickly giving most of it back in the bottom of a long, ugly, animated sixth that began with a walk and roller that died on the third-base line for a single.

Back-to-back singles by Carlos Lee and Brett Wallace sent home the first two Houston runs — with Zambrano angrily throwing up his arm after Wallace’s liner on a 3-2 pitch, then kicking the rubber and dirt and snatching, barehanded, the toss back to him.

After a dropped popup allowed another run to score, Zambrano gave up a two-run homer to Matt Downs on another 3-2 pitch, and one walk later he was done — but not before showing his frustration, if not showing up his manager, one more time, by meeting Mike Quade five feet onto the grass to hand him the ball on the move instead of waiting on the mound for him.

The last time Zambrano did something like that was the last time he pitched in Houston, in his final start of 2010, when he showed up teammate Bobby Scales after an error and then looked away as he handed Quade the ball when being removed from the game.

This time Zambrano was angered with himself and said he actually was unaware that he didn’t wait for Quade until teammate Kerry Wood pulled him aside after the game.

“I thought he was closer to me,” Zambrano said. “After Woody told me, I went to his office and apologized. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is disrespect the manager. I will wait for him next time. Next time, I will wait for the reliever, too.”

Said Quade: “I don’t really care. There is a certain amount of respect and stuff that goes with that. But just give me the ball. He was upset. I was upset. Everybody was upset. Let’s just not fumble the handoff and it will be OK. Let’s hope we do better next time.’’

Whether that’s a one-time blip in what has otherwise been a calm, collected and largely effective Zambrano since the start of spring training could be one of the key issues for the starting staff in the near future.

Right up there with how Garza responds to a rough night in Milwaukee Saturday after which he suggested he might change up his game plan and stick more with fastballs.

Meanwhile, the Big Three pitchers that this staff, and in some ways this team, is built around has 3-3 record and 6.08 ERA through eight starts.

“There’s room for improvement, yet” Riggins said. “And they will be better.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/4821915-573/could-be-a-lot-worse-for-the-cubs.html

I'm not as optimistic. Honestly, I'm waiting for the wheels to fall of the wagon.

I will say, it's good to see Woody pull Z aside. It says a lot about his leadership and communication between him and Z.

PS. Z's HR was his 5th @ MMP

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 4/14/2011 4:49p).]
bluestainedivy
Garza's looking VERY bad tonight
bluestainedivy
Well, Garza recovered. Too bad the offense couldn't. Anyone know about what happened with Marlon Byrd in MIL on Sunday. I haven't read anything in the press about it and all I know is from a response he put out on his blog.
Know Your Enemy
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Anyone know about what happened with Marlon Byrd in MIL on Sunday. I haven't read anything in the press about it and all I know is from a response he put out on his blog.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0411-cubs-brewers-chicago--20110410,0,2263646.story
bluestainedivy
Thanks for the link. I do recall being frustrated w Byrd running in that situation.

Lineup for tonight has been posted. I like seein the 1-2 punch of Castro and Barney. Peña is batting 5th and Fonzi is 6. This is micromanagement, but I think it be worth considering swapping them in the order for now. Peña cant beat the shift
WhataMaroon88
AG
Starlin Castro just tearing the cover off the ball. Dude is looking better than any SS we have had in some time as a sophomore.
Know Your Enemy
AG
That's not really a high bar he had to eclipse there.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Grabow needs to be let go - he is pathetic. Bring up a kid from the farm - I'd rather see one of them grow up than Grabow get pounded every time out.

In other news, Starlin is EN FUEGO. Cubs get the win, 8-3. Rubber match this afternoon on WGN. Dempster gets the ball against a guy making his MLB debut. Cubs never fare well against the noobies. Let's get over .500 and head back to Wrigley.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Also...not trying to get ahead of myself, but AA Smokies look to be a damn good team this year - at least with the stick. Everyone on that team is mashing the ball. They have started the year 7-2.

Jackson looks to be the leadoff hitter the Cubs have been searching for - hitting well over .400 to start the young season - has 5 steals - plays great D (from what I hear).

Vitters is improving after a rough start to his professional career - have him playing some 1B as well - could he succeed Pena next year?

Flaherty is ripping the ball - playing virtually every position - they say his natural fit is 3B. Not sure if next season is too soon for him since Ramirez is conveniently on his way out.

DJ is also doing well at the plate and playing 2B, 3B and SS.

Really excited about these guys development this year.
bluestainedivy
Keep up the minors reports 11.

Pittsburgh put a 4-spot up on Cinci in the first and are leading 4-1. It sure would be nice to finish the road swing with a winning record (overall and over the trip).
Know Your Enemy
The Pilot
AG
Go Rockies!
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.