***Official 2024 - 2025 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

14,995 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by bingram1230
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In other words, no one knows
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

In other words, no one knows

Everyone knows. It isn't exactly a secret…
shack009
AG
Slovenia lost to Greece and is eliminated.

Three months of much needed rest for Luka.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Slovenia lost to Greece and is eliminated.

Three months of much needed rest for Luka.

Nice!
kam31
AG
Glad Luka gets three months to recover. I can't imagine how painful it would be to go into a new season with Luka battling lingering injuries.

Feels weird now that the Mavs/Ags news has slowed down the last couple of days. Between NBA Finals, CWS, Aggie baseball coaching drama, NBA draft, and free agency, there has been a constant stream of exciting news every day for the last few weeks. I'm not ready for the slow down.
shack009
AG
Spurs getting very washed Harrison Barnes for some reason. Helped facilitate DeRozan to Sacramento. Hate that move for both teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
Not a fan at all, but his shooting numbers are still solid and we needed PF depth. Shot like 47/38 last year.

Also got an unprotected swap from the Kings in the future
shack009
AG
Yeah, the shooting numbers actually aren't near as bad as I thought they were. You hate to see that 0.1 VORP though… And a fairly substantial negative in both offensive and defensive box plus minus.

Really interesting team y'all are putting together.
Guitarsoup
AG
There are only about 4 players from this team that will be on the team in 2026.
shack009
AG

Mavs have made all of the announced signings and trades official. The Klay trade is a 6-team trade where the Mavs also get a 2nd rounder. First 6-teamer ever.
94chem
Classy statement from THJ.

In other news, has anyone ever rooted harder against Slovenia?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
zgolfz85
AG
94chem said:

Classy statement from THJ.

In other news, has anyone ever rooted harder against Slovenia?
would've been cool if you actually showed the statement:

"The last 5 seasons will be something I will cherish forever. First and foremost I want to thank all of my teammates, love you all and we will always be brothers! To Dallas, THANK YOU for helping me become not just a better ball player, but helping me mature even more as a person! The city and organization embraced my family and I with open arms and even though things didn't end the way I wanted them too, I am forever grateful. Will always be love, Thank you, God Bless"
94chem
Thanks. I don't use Twitter or Instagram, and probably would have made a mess of it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
MW03
AG
G1 2023
Luka
Kyrie
DJJ
Williams
Kleber

G1 2024

Aggie Dad 26
I'm here for Luka and have become a Mavs rent-a-fan
zgolfz85
AG
Our boy Dwight starting for canada
shack009
AG
Mavs first Summer League game is tomorrow night.

Hopefully OMax looks like the best player on the floor while guarding the other team's best player. He should take his open 3s and make good decisions when he drives.

Wonder if we'll see some plays to get Ajinca some movement shots, a preview of what we will see from Klay at a higher level this season. My goal is to not overreact too much in either direction to whatever happens with Ajinca. Dudley said we may see a little point forward from him. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I like AJ Lawson, I just don't think he'll ever be a contributor for the Mavs. I always enjoy watching him play, he's probably just too skinny and not a consistent enough shooter to be a guy.

Fudge was with the Mavs towards the end of the year. He probably won't be a guy, but he was with the big club down the stretch and in the playoffs, so who knows. They clearly think good things about him.

The most intriguing guy outside of OMax and Ajinca is Jamarion Sharpe from Ole Miss. He didn't play a ton at Ole Miss, but he's 7'4", so he's an interesting guy to watch. Maybe Mavs will want to keep him around until he can be the 3rd center in a year or two. Mavs play offensive and defensive styles that seem to fit his game. I think his biggest area of concern is fouling.

The bad thing about watching this team will be seeing Brandon Williams as the point guard. He might have more of a "I'm the guy" mentality than Jaden Hardy but with far less efficiency lol.
shack009
AG
jeffdjohnson
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40617393/sources-spencer-dinwiddie-agrees-1-year-deal-mavericks

Dinwiddie back. That is pretty good insurance for inevitable stretches where either Kyrie, Luka or Klay is out. I don't really see how he gets minutes though when everyone is healthy, unless Kidd benches Hardy.
HawthornAggie
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9u_ahhvGAJ/?igsh=dTN6MWs0bWxyMWh0

D Live 3 point session
shack009
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40617393/sources-spencer-dinwiddie-agrees-1-year-deal-mavericks

Dinwiddie back. That is pretty good insurance for inevitable stretches where either Kyrie, Luka or Klay is out. I don't really see how he gets minutes though when everyone is healthy, unless Kidd benches Hardy.
This was my problem with a Dinwiddie return. If you are going to sign a similar style player, I'd just rather give the minutes to Hardy. Dinwiddie isn't adding anything that wasn't already on this team.

Guard/smaller-wing minutes are now up for grabs between Luka, Kyrie, Klay, Naji, Grimes, Exum, Hardy, and Dinwiddie. Logjam...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea unfortunately there is no way Kidd plays Hardy over dinwiddie in my opinion.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think there are plenty of regular season minutes to go around. No reason for Luka to play 40+ min per game now. When it comes to playoff minutes, Kidd benching THJ for a whole month told me that he sees the big picture. Even in the playoffs, it never hurts to have another guy that can come in and score if everyone else goes cold
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
500,000ags
AG
Hardy is too out of control for my taste.
The Shank Ag
Spence is huge. He will fill in when Klay is load management starting, and he'll be 2nd/3rd off the bench nightly. If he can stay healthy, still attack the rim, and knockdown a couple threes a night, this is as good as it gets.

Trade him and DFS for Kyrie, get him back 1.5 years later coming off a title appearance. That's huge, and a testament to Nico.

I was a huge Don and Donnie apologist, but I've seen the light with Nico taking the reins and Cubes staying out of things from a personnel standpoint.

I only wish Jerry/Stephen/Jerry Jr would get that memo
shack009
AG
There is a reason he's available for about $2 million.

The spot starters will be Grimes and Marshall, if you ask me. Then Exum would be next up. Dinwiddie is pretty buried. It's still possible Hardy plays more than him, also.
shack009
AG
500,000ags said:

Hardy is too out of control for my taste.

I thought he really did a good job passing and finding the lob man in the playoffs. Maybe he would be able to adapt to the speed of the game if Kidd played him more.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

There is a reason he's available for about $2 million.

The spot starters will be Grimes and Marshall, if you ask me. Then Exum would be next up. Dinwiddie is pretty buried. It's still possible Hardy plays more than him, also.
Dinwiddie played awful for the lLakers, but there are a lot of guys that deserve more than the minimum that wont get it because of the new tax rules. Okoro didn't even get a contract offer for anyone.

Tyus Jones was expected to get about $15M/year and didn't get a contract. Precious didn't get a contract. Luke Kennard. Gary Trent.

The new cap rules are destroying the NBA middle class.
shack009
AG
That may be true, but Dinwiddie isn't the middle class. Dinwiddie is so poor he has to go home to live with Momma.

I'd take any of those guys you mentioned, other than Kennard, well before Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie got bought out 5 months ago.
shack009
AG
I was bored so I looked at the Mavs season o/u and fanduel has it as 50.5 at -110 for both the over and the under.

My initial reaction was that felt pretty low. The mavs won 50 games last season, weren't a good team until after the trade deadline, and also punted the final 2 games of the season, 1 of which was against one of the worst teams in the league. We also lost a game on a 60 footer. Don't we all think the team is better this year, as well as deeper?

Best argument for the under would be related to a Luka injury. Other arguments would be Mavs "luck" in clutch games last season and then that the Mavs had a really good record against teams you are supposed to beat. Like close to 90% against lottery teams last year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Luka hasn't been in his best shape lately, had additional playing in the summer, and Kyrie always misses a number of games. Plus, the west should be tougher with Sacramento, Memphis, SA, Houston and New Orleans getting better. Denver and LAC should drop some, but not as much as the others gain, imo
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Luka hasn't been in his best shape lately, had additional playing in the summer, and Kyrie always misses a number of games. Plus, the west should be tougher with Sacramento, Memphis, SA, Houston and New Orleans getting better. Denver and LAC should drop some, but not as much as the others gain, imo
This was all true last season. Mavs also have way better depth this year to handle any sort of long term injury and load management games. We are talking about Dinwiddie, Hardy, Exum, Powell and OMax as 10-14 on the team. Guard depth is ridiculous and forward depth is serviceable.

It's certainly up for debate if some of those teams got better (looking at SAC, Houston, and NO). SA may have got a little better, but Mavs will probably be favored in every game against SA. Mavs got better too.

Mavs actually only went 2-2 against both NO and Mem last season despite their weird years. Mavs could pick up at least a game against one of these two even if they drop another game against SAC/SA/HOU (9-2 last year).

Mavs went 2-4 against Denver and LAC last year, so I expect that to be 3-3 at worst this year.

Mavs went 2-5 against OKC+Min last year, maybe they pick one up there.

It won't be easy, and I'm usually pretty optimistic before every season of every sport, so I may be way too high on my own supply. I just keep coming back the fact that we were talking about firing Kidd in March and the Mavs still won 50 games last year somehow. I thought the O/U should be more in line with Minnesota's at 52.5. Doesn't make much sense that Minnesota's o/u is 2 more than the Mavs' and that Denver's is 1 more than the Mavs'.
NoahAg
I had no idea Spencer averaged 17 points as a Mav.
Guitarsoup
AG
Denver should be lower, but that represents 6 wins less than last year.

Even with better depth, Mavs still go as Luka+Kyrie go. I don't think one of them is enough to carry the team against the top half of the league most nights.
shack009
AG

Not a bad guy for the end of the bench. Seemed like he always killed the Mavs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.