***Official 2024 - 2025 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

14,579 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bingram1230
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Free agency for the new season starts tomorrow at 6pm which means the book on the 2024 season is OFFICALLY CLOSED! And what a ****ing season it was.

Our Mavericks open 2024-2025 as the REIGNING WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS!!!

I can't believe that happened. About 18 months ago we had a center rotation of Javale McGee, Christian Wood, & Dwight Powell. Now it's Dereck Lively, Daniel Gafford, and Dwight Powell. In 1 off season, GM Nico Harrison delivered a front court worthy of competing for a title. And this team delivered on that potential.

Luka capped off his best season of his career earning his FIFTH 1st team All NBA honors, 3rd in the MVP race, NBA scoring champion, and Western Conference Finals MVP.

Kyrie has mostly rehabilitated whatever image most people in and outside the league held of him and if he's able to shake his injury luck, will surely place himself back into All NBA consideration.

Lively slowly morphed into an All NBA caliber defensive player in year 1 and capped the year off with his first 3pt make!! This kid is barely scratching the surface of the 2 way monster he'll eventually become.

Jason Kidd continues to impress even his most ardent doubters (myself included).

And the rest of this Mavericks roster is injected with a level of youth and athleticism I haven't seen as a Mavs fan since...ever?

What else?....Lol Cuban sold the team. Don't think anyone saw that coming. THJ was traded to one of the worst teams in league history. Oh and the Mavs rumor mill is on turbo mode about them acquiring Klay Thompson (no idea how that's gonna work, but hey, he's better than Timmy).

The 2025 season is gonna have big shoes to fill because I think Mavs fans have every right to believe they'll be right back in the Finals again. This team has plenty of ways to get better and I can't wait to see what happens!

rhutton125
HawthornAggie
AG
Go Mavs!
Guitarsoup
shack009
AG
I expect this team to compete for the 1 seed in the west this year.

The THJ experience is finally over.

Luka MVP year imminent.
Craigy
Luka can be better with a more time with this new core unit. He can be a better player and a much better leader. We have a GM guys...
Guitarsoup
AG

Well alright
Guitarsoup
AG

In the Ajinca trade, Mavs traded the draft rights to a 37yo retired Finnish player who signed with the Spurs to be their summer league coach.
shack009
AG
I heard either on the radio or from one of the Mavs pods that the Knicks requested his rights purely as a bit.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009
AG
Not a subscriber, so can't read it. Would be a real bummer. Would suck even worse if he took a little more money to go to a non-contender.

The Klay Thompson stuff has had me worried that the Mavs don't think DJJ is coming back. I still am not sure the Mavs have enough cap space below the 2nd apron to get Klay. If he still thinks he is a high dollar player then why would he not take all the money from Orlando?

If the Mavs lose DJJ and only sign Klay, they probably got worse than they were.
Guitarsoup
AG
DJJ fired his agent to hire Klutch but there is a mandatory waiting period if two weeks before Klutch can represent him that goes into July 11
shack009
AG
So all these free agents are about to pop and we may be waiting to hear about DJJ for another 12 days?
shack009
AG
The good news is that Detroit hired JB Bickerstaff, so Dennis Lindsey didn't poach Sweeney from our staff.
Guitarsoup
AG

So likely to be a sign and trade which would hard cap Dallas. Maybe still bring in DJJ
hph6203
AG
Bring back tampering. This is bull**** !
ramblin_ag02
AG
shack009 said:

So all these free agents are about to pop and we may be waiting to hear about DJJ for another 12 days?

He's a good fit, but that was dumb of him. No team is going to sit out the first 12 days of free agency for DJJ, not even the Mavs
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HawthornAggie
AG
Chris Paul to the Spurs
Guitarsoup
AG
HawthornAggie said:

Chris Paul to the Spurs
Needed to solidify our 3rd string PG behind Stephon Castle and Tre Jones.
HawthornAggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

HawthornAggie said:

Chris Paul to the Spurs

Gotta have a deep bench
hph6203
AG
Spurs getting over the salary floor?
Guitarsoup
AG
hph6203 said:

Spurs getting over the salary floor?
There if we want to be, but we can also cut Graham and get another 10M in cap space
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

HawthornAggie said:

Chris Paul to the Spurs

Gotta teach Castle how to actually be a PG because he isn't one.
hph6203
AG

DJJ gone?
Guitarsoup
AG
hph6203 said:

DJJ gone?
Yep, DJJ is gone and I think Naji will be an upgrade. He is the wing I wanted for the Spurs.

Klutch really screwed over DJJ. Doubt he gets more than the vet min now.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

HawthornAggie said:

Chris Paul to the Spurs

Gotta teach Castle how to actually be a PG because he isn't one.
He has more NCAA assists than Kyrie and Luka combined.
Legend
AG
Does this mean no Klay or is Klay only through a SNT?
Guitarsoup
AG
Legend said:

Klay could still theoretically happen, depending on what the Warriors want. But Mavs have 15 players and are hard capped below the luxury tax because they used the non-luxury tax MLE.

I think the Mavs are right up against the luxury tax right now.

Klay wants a lot of money, but maybe the Warriors would take Josh Green and Maxi for him so he can make 22M? In any event, it probably doesn't look good for Klay.
shack009
AG
Legend said:

We would have to get him through S&T anyway because we wouldn't have had enough cap space to just sign him for what he wants. Would probably have to send Josh Green and at least one more, if i had to guess.
M.C. Swag
AG

I'm gonna miss DJJ but hats off to Nico for recognizing the risk of waiting and deciding to pivot to plan B. Mavs functionally replaced DJJ with a player who fits the exact same mold.

Excited to see how Naji reacts to the increased shot volume he's about to get.
hph6203
AG
Mavs made a $16 million TPE when they traded Hardaway.

Guitarsoup
AG
https://craftednba.com/players/comparison?player1=naji-marshall&player2=derrick-jones-jr.

Mavs getting the better shooter, passer, and defender here but very similar players overall.

And like I said above, I don't think DJJ is going to get offers over the vet min, so he may come back. Mavs would have to cut AJ Lawson to fit him.
Guitarsoup
AG
hph6203 said:

Mavs made a $16 million TPE when they traded Hardaway.

Mavs are hard capped at the luxury tax line, so they effectively can't use that without cutting other money and Klay would have to take no more than the 16M.
mavsfan4ever
AG
What in the hell is DJJ thinking? I'm good with it from a mavs perspective though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.