***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,338 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

What do yall have against dillingham? I love him. Insane scoring rate, but still efficient. Also hugely clutch. Feels like he hit a ton of last minute and overtime contested 3s against the Ags

Small (6'0" 165) and doesn't play defense.
Guitarsoup
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

What do yall have against dillingham? I love him. Insane scoring rate, but still efficient. Also hugely clutch. Feels like he hit a ton of last minute and overtime contested 3s against the Ags
Represented by Klutch
He puts in no effort on defense.
He admitted he didn't understand Cal's defensive gameplanning.
He weighs just 164lbs.
He had an entire year at Kentucky and was 159lbs last summer. Didn't put in the work to gain any muscle.

I think he is going to get played off the court in the NBA. Bad defensive instincts combined with poor/no effort.
AggieEP
If we still suck and Wemby leaves, picks in 2031 don't matter
Guitarsoup
AG
Sacramento got our boy Devin Carter.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

If we still suck and Wemby leaves, picks in 2031 don't matter
We aren't going to suck past 2025. And if we need players, we have a flexible roster and lots of draft picks.
Guitarsoup
AG

Give them #35 and #48, Brian!
Earth Rider
AG
Is there a player worth trading up for? We have a couple of picks in 2030 and 2031 from the wolves.
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Depending on how I squint, he either looks like the goat from Hoodwinked or KISS's Gene Simmons
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider said:

Is there a player worth trading up for? We have a couple of picks in 2030 and 2031 from the wolves.
Carter if you really love him. But later in the first, I wouldn't mind moving up to a team that wants to get off their 1st rounder to get Dadiet.
Earth Rider
AG
Iowaggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Depending on how I squint, he either looks like the goat from Hoodwinked or KISS's Gene Simmons
It would be awesome if he went bald on top, but kept the length along the sides.
Guitarsoup
AG
Wizards going with Bub Carrington. Sarr+Brogdon+Bub is a good day.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Yeah I knew he doesn't play defense, but is a pretty good athlete so I figured it would improve. Maybe not.
Guitarsoup
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Yeah I knew he doesn't play defense, but is a pretty good athlete so I figured it would improve. Maybe not.
He admitted he doesn't put in effort and doesn't understand it at the combine.

If the guy is trying and playing hard, that's one thing. Like Reed Sheppard will never have the physical gifts, but he is smart and puts in effort. So he isn't a total black hole.

I don't think that Dilly has the work ethic or the BBIQ to be a great player.
Guitarsoup
AG
So Spurs went from ~16M in cap space to ~22M in cap space, but can get up to about 27M by cutting Bassey/Champagnie.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Idk why you guys are bleeding. We didn't just get Minny's 2031 pick, we also got top 1 protected swap rights on their 2030 pick. Have you guys forgotten that this is MINNESOTA we are talking about? They've been a pathetic franchise for their whole existence, and KAT and Gobert will be in their late 30s by the time those picks convey. I don't think it's amazing value but I also don't see what the big deal is. Our timeline was always to turn up the heat in 2025 which is what we are going to do. Sheesh.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kelel Ware to Miami. First non lottery pick.
mAgnoliAg
AG
What about Ant? Assuming they keep him, they're gonna be really good for a long time.
AggieEP
But a huge problem with that cap space is that there isn't a player that really moves the needle you can get these days for 22-27 million.

OG just signed for 40 million a year....

If we're going to run

Castle
Vassell
Sochan
Wemby

Then we're looking for a wing that can really shoot to fill out the starting lineup. 27 million isn't going to get you that player. The guys mentioned like Slo Mo or Naji Marshall are good pieces to fill out a winning roster, but not starting level wings on championship teams.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Guitarsoup said:

So Spurs went from ~16M in cap space to ~22M in cap space, but can get up to about 27M by cutting Bassey/Champagnie.

Remind me, what are the trade rules for contracts when one of the teams has that much cap space? Salaries still have to match?
AggieEP
I agree, they essentially have young Jordan on their team and we're assuming we're getting lottery picks 7 years from now.
LawHall88
AG
Knecht still on the board. Wonder why he is falling.
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Guitarsoup said:

Remind me, what are the trade rules for contracts when one of the teams has that much cap space? Salaries still have to match?
Nope.

Say Paul George wants to come to San Antonio and he opts in to force it .

He makes 48M. Subtract 25M in cap space and match the other 23M. That's basically Keldon+Branham.
superaggie73
AG
LawHall88 said:

Knecht still on the board. Wonder why he is falling.

Because he's 34 years old…
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
And what if they screw it up just like they have done with every talented player that's ever walked through their doors? We're talking 6 years from now. 6 years ago Kevin Durant was in Golden State, Jimmy Butler was in Minnesota, Lou Williams was a top 15 scorer, Rajon Rondo was a top 5 assist man, and Mike Budenholzer was still coaching the Atlanta Hawks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

What about Ant? Assuming they keep him, they're gonna be really good for a long time.

It's Minnesota. They don't have the best history and are one of the most least disable locations in basketball (particularly for the time of year of basketball season). And they are going to be extremely limited in moves they can make to build a championship team around Ant without draft picks. Ant doesn't strike me as a Minnesota lifer. As soon as they falter, that dude is out of there.
West Texan
AG
There's zero reason to be *****ing about trading away the #8 in a weak draft. We turned 1 asset into 2 that we can either keep down the line or use in a trade at some point. If the Spurs want to be more competitive this season, then there are free agents that are going to make a bigger impact than a rookie we could have picked.
Guitarsoup
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

He's great, but how do they stay relevant around him.

You have supermaxes on Ant+Gobert+Towns.

They have no pick in 2025.
They have the worst of Minn or Utah in 2026.
they have no pick in 2027.
They have the worst of Minn or Utah in 2028.
They have no pick in 2029.

They are above the 2nd apron now. Gobert and Conley are on the back end of their careers. Towns turns 29 at the beginning of the season.

With no cap space and no draft picks, how are they going to stay a top 5 team in the league for the next 6 years as two starters age out of the league and another hits mid-30s.

Ant is great, but he can't carry them in a tough west.
Earth Rider
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

And what if they screw it up just like they have done with every talented player that's ever walked through their doors? We're talking 6 years from now. 6 years ago Kevin Durant was in Golden State, Jimmy Butler was in Minnesota, Lou Williams was a top 15 scorer, Rajon Rondo was a top 5 assist man, and Mike Budenholzer was still coaching the Atlanta Hawks.
Rondo was one of the most underrated PG's in history
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I'd totally forgotten that they've already traded out all their picks preceding the ones we just got, that moves me from meh on this trade to positive.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Agreed and he always turned it up in the playoffs, except in Dallas which I somehow still respect
AggieEP
I agree if those assets were at least this decade. My *****ing here is mostly about the timing of the payoff of this trade.

Fully understand that they could flip those for a more immediate return, but in the moment, it sucks that we continue to push assets into the future.
LCE
AG
AggieEP said:

I agree, they essentially have young Jordan on their team and we're assuming we're getting lottery picks 7 years from now.

It's nuts! Amazing
Enzo The Baker
AG
Look at the trade this way. The 8th pick in this draft is likely a pick in the high teens or 20s in in a normal draft. If the Spurs are who we think they will be, we will more than break even with this trade. Best case, two high consecutive lottery picks during Victor's prime.
Guitarsoup
AG
Knecht falls to Lakers.

Hillbilly James Worthy + Hillbilly Kobe
superunknown
AG
Do i think those picks in the future will amount to much? Nope. Are they worth more than #8 in a super flat draft? Yup. Why fill up on bread and salad when the buffet next year is so much better and we have so many holes to fill? Options are a good thing.
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.