***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

234,082 Views | 4287 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, since we were moving to tank mode, we wanted the pick and Thad Young, who we flipped for the pick we used for Branham.

Cleveland ended up S&T for Lauri on a 4y deal at 13% of the cap that ends next summer. Chicago got DJJ and a 1st for Lauri, but the 1st is a lottery protected Portland 1st. Then Lauri went to Utah in the Dono trade.

Like you said, we don't get Wemby if Lauri has that season for us. Plus, can't pass up a shot on getting Malaki Branham.
Sher Thing
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

What's funny is that I believe Lauri was rumored as being part of that DeRozan deal instead of a 1st. I think most of us (myself included) did not want to go that route. But today, Lauri ended up being the more valuable asset after turning the corner in Utah two seasons ago.

But again, we likely don't get Victor if we get Lauri in that trade.
Yeah, I think the Spurs were looking for picks and to tank which obviously worked out. I doubt they passed on Lauri because they weren't fans of his. Not sure Lauri would even want to come to SA and buy into the culture/play second fiddle to Wemby though.
Guitarsoup
AG
I felt like we liked Lauri, but wanted two firsts instead. And if we get 2025 at #11-15, that is a great return for a guy that was leaving anyway.
Sher Thing
AG
Sher Thing
AG
Under the hypothetical that the Spurs trade for Garland for one of the 24 picks, another future pick and Keldon, etc. Would most still prefer Castle to be chosen or would that change your view on who they should draft?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think the Spurs are trying to get Garland, especially since he is overpaid. Just recycled news from a poor source.

If you do trade for him, maybe you take Castle, maybe you take Salaun.

I think Garland is a 12th to 18th best PG in the league and you don't pay a max contract for that guy and you don't ruin your shot at a great pick in 2025 for him, either.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

I don't know man. I don't like a player who can't play more games than Victor Wembanyama in his last 4 seasons. Addresses play making but undersized and still a huge POA defensive void.

Edit: Also as Soup says, $40 million for 60-70 games a year. Nah.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah, I'm not advocating for it by any means. Just playing the hypotheticals.

Garland does seem like a Spurs guy... comes from a military family, went to Vanderbilt, etc. I just think the contract is too much.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

Under the hypothetical that the Spurs trade for Garland for one of the 24 picks, another future pick and Keldon, etc. Would most still prefer Castle to be chosen or would that change your view on who they should draft?

I honestly think I would if Castle was okay with it. We talk about positionless basketball so it could work. Castle is still a smart, high end defender that can cut really well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

I also don't think we have the win now assets Cleveland would want to make this deal happen. They would want Vassell, which is a non starter for us. I don't see them taking an end of bench role player plus draft capital. They are trying to contend, particularly if Mitchell signs an extension.
FTAG 2000
AG
Sher Thing said:

The "source" is Cleveland, trying to get some other team to come trade for him and pay a pretty penny.
Earth Rider
AG
Who is your Spurs shocker at 8 this year? Is there an off the radar player you could see the Spurs drafting?
Guitarsoup
AG
My left field would be Salaun at 4 and Carter at 8.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm starting to warm up to Buzelis at 4. I don't see Wright passing on that kind of wing size.
Earth Rider
AG
Guitarsoup said:

My left field would be Salaun at 4 and Carter at 8.
It would be a big jump for Salaun to 4 with the mock drafts. But he shoots a high percentage shot, and has good size. He doesn't look quick, and not as instinctive or as good of a passer.

But I could see Salaun at 4. He's raw as heck. But has a high ceiling.

I'll go with Carlton Carrington at 8 as a left field pick. He's quick, good size for a PG, and his style of play and passing would play well with Wemby and a lot of pick and roll action.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

I'm starting to warm up to Buzelis at 4. I don't see Wright passing on that kind of wing size.

I wouldn't mind him at 8th. Picking him would definitely be a swing. I still think he's slow and has position identity crisis. Most of all, he just doesn't seem Spursy. I've listened to a lot of his interviews and he just really rubs me the wrong way.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

I wouldn't mind him at 8th. Picking him would definitely be a swing. I still think he's slow and has position identity crisis. Most of all, he just doesn't seem Spursy. I've listened to a lot of his interviews and he just really rubs me the wrong way.

Really? I like the way he comes across in interviews.
jteagle
AG
First of all, I have comeback to reality and gotten back on the defensive bandwagon.

Having said that, I'm still high on Castle at 4 but I also think Devin Carter would be a great pick at 8. I'm not high on Buzelis or Salaun. After watching Holland, I really think he has more upside than either of the other two. He has a great motor, athleticism and I think he will also be better defensively when he gets in a good system. His shot is not good right now but he shot 79% from the FT line in high school so there is something to work with. In hindsight, he would have been better off going to play college ball somewhere.
I have no idea how it will go but I wouldn't be disappointed with Holland and Carter or Castle and Holland.
Aggie Class of 2026
I keep reading how all free agents and so forth wanna play in SA now and with Wemby. The only name that's surfaced is Chris Paul, which is not even a hard pass for me but a "oh hail naw"

Has anyone actually stepped forward and said "I'd love to play with that guy in San Antonio." Or is this the media being the media?
Guitarsoup
AG
Players usually don't just come out while under contract and say they want to play in a certain place.

Chris Paul isn't a free agent and at 40yo probably doesn't want to be on a lottery team
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Players usually don't just come out while under contract and say they want to play in a certain place.

Chris Paul isn't a free agent and at 40yo probably doesn't want to be on a lottery team
Yeah, lots of guys probably wanted to play with Lebron through the years but they didn't announce it to the media.
Aggie Class of 2026
LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yeah, lots of guys probably wanted to play with Lebron through the years but they didn't announce it to the media.

So not one FA has expressed it publicly?
Enzo The Baker
AG
The Jrue comparison is interesting. This is what alot of us have been saying with Wemby as the primarily playmaker.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

That generally isn't how it works and the NBA is trying to be strict on tampering
Enzo The Baker
AG
Definitely not my favorite prospect and wouldn't want take him at 8, but Cody Williams seems like a Spurs-type player through and through. Smart, level-headed kid it seems from KOC's interview. 6'8 with 7'1 wing span. Definitely a project but I wouldn't mind him in a trade down scenario.
Aggie Class of 2026
Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

That generally isn't how it works and the NBA is trying to be strict on tampering

Players mention which franchises they're interested in all the time when they're a FA
Enzo The Baker
AG

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Players mention which franchises they're interested in all the time when they're a FA

Not really. For one thing, most players don't even get to free agency anymore and the ones that do are not big names. At the end of the season they will go with the usual 'I love it where I currently am, but it's a business, and I will explore my options.' They usually don't announce who they want to play for, they just visit the teams they are interested it in July. If they announce who they want to play for ahead of time, it would also decrease leverage for negotiating a contract, particularly for your smaller free agent names. To be honest, I can't think of a time recently where a player has mentioned publicly, 'I want to play here.' And they do.
Aggie Class of 2026
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not really. For one thing, most players don't even get to free agency anymore and the ones that do are not big names. At the end of the season they will go with the usual 'I love it where I currently am, but it's a business, and I will explore my options.' They usually don't announce who they want to play floor, they just visit the teams they are interested it in July. If they announce who they want to play for ahead of time, it would also decrease leverage for negotiating a contract, particularly for your smaller free agent names. To be honest, I can't think of a time recently where a player has mentioned publicly, 'I want to play here.' And they do.

Are you someone that's been keeping up with the NBA for several years? You don't recall players demanding trades and giving their front office a list that has 2 or 3 teams they want to be traded to?
Enzo The Baker
AG

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not really. For one thing, most players don't even get to free agency anymore and the ones that do are not big names. At the end of the season they will go with the usual 'I love it where I currently am, but it's a business, and I will explore my options.' They usually don't announce who they want to play floor, they just visit the teams they are interested it in July. If they announce who they want to play for ahead of time, it would also decrease leverage for negotiating a contract, particularly for your smaller free agent names. To be honest, I can't think of a time recently where a player has mentioned publicly, 'I want to play here.' And they do.

Are you someone that's been keeping up with the NBA for several years? You don't recall players demanding trades and giving their front office a list that has 2 or 3 teams they want to be traded to?

Yes. I've watched the nba for over 30 years. You were talking about free agents, right? Free agents don't demand trades.
Guitarsoup
AG

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

No one is a free agent until July 1st.
Aggie Class of 2026
Enzo The Baker said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yes. I've watched the nba for over 30 years. You were talking about free agents, right? Free agents don't demand trades.

You're hedging now.

You can't say players don't talk about where they wanna play while under contract and then say FA don't demand trades.

If it makes it easier, reread what I initially said.

Either way, players under contract discuss where they want to play/be traded. Free agents do too.

Who has publicly said they want to go to SA?
AA
AG
Spurs app sent out some draft watch party promo that said as "we make the #1 pick". Hope that's a typo and we didn't make a dumb trade to move up to #1
Enzo The Baker
AG

Enzo The Baker said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

You're hedging now.

You can't say players don't talk about where they wanna play while under contract and then say FA don't demand trades.

Either way, players under contract discuss where they want to play/be traded. Free agents do too.

Lol
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

You're hedging now.

When Kawhi wanted to go to LA before we traded him, he never made a single public statement about it. That's not how it ever works.

Dame wanted to go to Miami, but never came out and said that to people.
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.