***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

234,661 Views | 4287 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea I don't see us packaging picks to move up. If we do, it should be for Sarr. No one else is worth trading up for. Unless we want to trade up from 8 to grab, say, Castle and Sheppard in the top 6. Then I can see it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dadiet also came in at 6'9 and 217lbs. I could see putting both seconds for a late first to get him.

Then hope that at least one of Salaun, Dadiet, or Cissiko turns out to be French Herb Jones.

I think Charlotte would consider their pick back for moving back two spots. Gives them an extra tradable pick. Could add a second or two as well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That is my thought on Charlotte as well. I think they would value their protected 1st back than any other seconds, say from the Spurs. If Melo is healthy, who knows, maybe they see themselves as a playoff team in a weak East. This is assuming someone like Mantas goes to Detroit at 5. Seems to be some smoke there.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I don't think trading up is really on the table tbh.

I think if the Spurs get wind that it's is trending 1.Sarr 2.Risacher 3. Castle then you might have a possible trade back or out altogether situation. Worst case scenario.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think if the Spurs get wind that it's is trending 1.Sarr 2.Risacher 3. Castle then you might have a possible trade back or out altogether situation. Worst case scenario.

I could see that. Although, personally, I'd still go for Sheppard there. Then go for Carter at 8.
West Texan
AG
Sher Thing said:

Multiple have said it several times throughout this thread, but there's no one in this draft worth trading up for. If some other team wants to move up for either of our picks, we should be all ears and more than willing to make a deal that benefits us.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing said:

I could see that. Although, personally, I'd still go for Sheppard there. Then go for Carter at 8.

I think I'd go Sheppard and Salaun just because there's a lot of overlap between Sheppard and Carter.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing said:

I think I'd go Sheppard and Salaun just because there's a lot of overlap between Sheppard and Carter.

Yea I could see that. I just like that both would be able to contribute immediately. High IQ players. One is an elite shooter and capable defender. The other the opposite. Can play the 1 or 2. I really like Carter as a potential bench MFer. But neither probably the long term answer at PG.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing said:

I would be good with any of these options. I think I would prefer Sheppard and Castle then use the seconds to take or move up for Dadiet.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing said:

I would be good with any of these options. I think I would prefer Sheppard and Castle then use the seconds to take or move up for Dadiet.

I think we'd all prefer Castle, but the initial post said what do we do if Castle goes top 3.
Guitarsoup
AG
Reading is hrd
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

If we take Topic, I'm done with Wright. I don't think there's a remote chance we do though.

I'd be surprised if they took Topic considering there's been a lot of buzz about the Spurs looking to win now. Topic is very young AND injured. I bet he doesn't even suit up next season. Maybe they love their pick at 4 and decide to pick Topic knowing they won't need him for a while. How could you "be done with Wright" if that's what takes place? Seriously weird statement.

If he does that after taking Primo, yea that would be pretty bad. It's okay for you to have a different opinion. Just because I say something you don't agree with doesn't make it weird. Also there is such thing as hyperbole. Chill.

I've heard of hyperbole, I'm just not a fan. Maybe you should audition for First Take.

No need. I'm already the SAS of the SAS thread.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

If we take Topic, I'm done with Wright. I don't think there's a remote chance we do though.

I'd be surprised if they took Topic considering there's been a lot of buzz about the Spurs looking to win now. Topic is very young AND injured. I bet he doesn't even suit up next season. Maybe they love their pick at 4 and decide to pick Topic knowing they won't need him for a while. How could you "be done with Wright" if that's what takes place? Seriously weird statement.

If he does that after taking Primo, yea that would be pretty bad. It's okay for you to have a different opinion. Just because I say something you don't agree with doesn't make it weird. Also there is such thing as hyperbole. Chill.

I've heard of hyperbole, I'm just not a fan. Maybe you should audition for First Take.

I don't think you've dethroned Mookie yet.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think you've dethroned Mookie yet.

Don't say his name or he will show up
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mookie. Mookie. Mookie.
superunknown
AG
Would you trade 4 and 8 for a guarantee at Castle at #3?
Enzo The Baker
AG
superunknown said:

Would you trade 4 and 8 for a guarantee at Castle at #3?

I wouldn't. I like Castle a lot. He's my favorite prospect (not including Sarr) in this draft but I think he stands out so much because of the other draftees around him. I'd rather have two bites at the apple this year and look for a starting point guard in next year's draft.
BigfootYancey
AG
If Castle goes at 3, so be it. Take Risacher or Sheppard and good to go.

Sheppard's shooting is a huge benefit. I think he will be ok enough on defense.
superunknown
AG
I'm assuming Sarr and Risacher are top 2. Houston won't take Castle, will they?
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

I'm assuming Sarr and Risacher are top 2. Houston won't take Castle, will they?
Doubtful. How do you take a 6'6 POA defender with questionable shot at #3 a year after taking Amen Thompson #4?
Guitarsoup
AG

Small hands and wingspan for a tall dude.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.espn.ph/nba/insider/story/_/id/38788364/2024-nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-25-prospects

New big board on espn.

ZacRis
Sarr
Clingan
Reed
Matas
Castle
Dilly
Knecht
Salaun
Topic
Cody Williams
Devin Carter
JaKobe Walter
Jared McCain
Zach Edey

Says Castle is being difficult to schedule.
Bulls want Matas.
Clingan won't drop past Portland at 7.
Dillingham's ankle is still preventing workouts.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I'm not sure what Castle is really trying to do here by declining workouts. It could end up hurting him more then helping. The Spurs definitely don't want to deal with some sort of entitlement attitude. Hopefully, they have had some good conversations together though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

Yeah I'm not sure what Castle is really trying to do here by declining workouts. It could end up hurting him more then helping. The Spurs definitely don't want to deal with some sort of entitlement attitude. Hopefully, they have had some good conversations together though.

Angling for Lakers at 17 to play for Hurley.

But yea. If it works out for the Spurs I'm all for it. But also hope it's not a prima Donna sign, which I don't get the impression of, at least on the court. The Kawhi thing just traumatized all of us. For good reason.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://www.espn.ph/nba/insider/story/_/id/38788364/2024-nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-25-prospects

New big board on espn.

ZacRis
Sarr
Clingan
Reed
Matas
Castle
Dilly
Knecht
Salaun
Topic
Cody Williams
Devin Carter
JaKobe Walter
Jared McCain
Zach Edey

Says Castle is being difficult to schedule.
Bulls want Matas.
Clingan won't drop past Portland at 7.
Dillingham's ankle is still preventing workouts.

Also says Castle has been most strongly connected to San Antonio.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, I think Castle at 4 is pretty well locked in unless the really stupid three teams drafting ahead of the Spurs somehow do something really stupid.

I think Castle just doesn't want to go to Detroit or Charlotte. Hard to blame him after going to UCONN

HS/McD AA highlights

Guitarsoup
AG
Pop is the best.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C74Hke9uu_u/
LawHall88
AG
Not sure I would give up that much for Ingram.
Quote:

San Antonio Spurs

"I don't pretend to know what we're going to do. We have a lot of possibilities ahead of us, whether it's [having] money in the bank or draft picks or being creative tradewise. All those things are on the table. But aren't they for every team? I don't know why we're any different. We're just younger." -- coach Gregg Popovich, March 2024

Reigning Rookie of the Year Victor Wembanyama puts the Spurs in a different category than most of the teams on this list.

Year 2 of the Wembanyama era begins in San Antonio with a heightened awareness that winning 22 games and finishing at the bottom of the Western Conference is not acceptable with a player of his caliber on the roster.

How the roster improves will come down to whether management is willing to accelerate the rebuild this offseason and not next summer, when the Spurs could have up to four first-round picks and $50 million in cap space.

One scenario in which San Antonio could improve now but not strip its flexibility is to sign veteran point guard Tyus Jones and then look to trade for Pelicans forward Brandon Ingram.

A starting five of Jones, Devin Vassell, Ingram, Jeremy Sochan and Wembanyama, along with two first-round picks in the top eight (if both are kept), is a strong foundation to build on.

Trade we would like to see: Keldon Johnson, Zach Collins, 2025 Chicago first (top-8 protected), 2027 Atlanta first (top-5 protected) to New Orleans for Ingram

Starters under contract: Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wembanyama and Keldon Johnson

Reserves under contract: Collins, Malaki Branham, Devonte' Graham, Julian Champagnie, Blake Wesley, Sidy Cissoko and Charles Bassey

Free agents: Cedi Osman, Dominick Barlow and Sandro Mamukelashvili

Incoming first-round picks (13):
  • The No. 4 and No. 8 pick in the 2024 draft
  • All seven of their own, starting in 2025
  • Two unprotected from the Atlanta Hawks (2025 and 2027)
  • 2025 top-14 protected from the Charlotte Hornets 2025
  • Top-10 protected from Chicago (top-8 protected in 2026 and 2027)
Swap rights: Atlanta (2026), Boston Celtics (2028, top-1 protected) and Dallas Mavericks (2030)
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40292219/2024-nba-offseason-sleeper-teams-free-agency-make-big-moves-soon
Guitarsoup
AG
New Orleans doesn't want Keldon. They have a log jam of wings right now. They would probably love Collins because they need a guy at center to stretch the floor for Zion.

But I am not giving that 2027 Atlanta first. And if you protect it, what does it become in year 2? Spurs 1st?

I don't think Ingram is a great fit because he is a ball-dominant ISO player and the reason he didn't fit with Zion is the reason he wont' fit with Wemby. Ingram is ok defensively, but not that special.

Also, he is on the final year of his contract and supposedly wants a 4y200M deal. That's a non-starter to me. He's not worth that type of deal.

Bottom line, Spurs need a #2 option that can play in the framework of a motion offense, but I think Ingram is a #3 option that is a ball stopping ISO player that wouldn't work well with us for the same reasons he didnt' work well in New Orleans when Zion is healthy. Also, Ingram gets hurt a lot - he hasn't played 65 games in a season since his rookie year in 2017.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea, I don't want Ingram. And I definitely don't want him for that amount. He's very inconsistent. We already have Vassell. No thank you.
Guitarsoup
AG
The trade target I am most interested in is Lauri Markkanen, but I don't think I could ever talk myself into Ainge's prices there.

Wemby, Lauri, Sochan, Devin, Castle would be spicy.
Sher Thing
AG
There would have to be reciprocal interest from Markkanen obviously, but yeah that would be pretty filthy. Would take a ton of assets to get him and he would have to agree to some sort of extension beforehand.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't see any way Lauri agrees to less than the max (30%) Last year when he was healthy, he was 17th in All-NBA voting. Having a top 20 pairing that can play off Wemby, plays solid defense, and can stretch the floor is exactly the type of player we need.

The negative is that he is already 27.

I'll say they want to include John Collins to dump off his contract, so Keldon+Zach for John Collins+Lauri for salary. That saves the Jazz $10M. Then they supposedly want 4 firsts.

Chicago 2025
Worst of SA/Atlanta 2027 (top 4 protected)
Worst of SA/Atlanta 2025 (top 4 protected)

Spurs still have a first every year and have the ATL/Bos/Dal swaps. That's a lot to give up for a guy 7 years older than Wemby and has never played 70 games in a season.
Enzo The Baker
AG
What's funny is that I believe Lauri was rumored as being part of that DeRozan deal instead of a 1st. I think most of us (myself included) did not want to go that route. But today, Lauri ended up being the more valuable asset after turning the corner in Utah two seasons ago.

But again, we likely don't get Victor if we get Lauri in that trade.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.