Kevin Durant

5,564 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phat32
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awful to see that. When he comes back, which old guy with a jumper is he most likely to look like?

Ray Allen?
Marcus Camby?
Vince Carter?

Or can he come all the way back?

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
2018-19 Dirk Nowitzki.
The Shank Ag
I've got newfound respect for the guy. Still think he's a major tool but putting his future on the line for the chance to boost GS to another ship proves he's not at least all about himself
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
But for real, really a bummer to see it happened. He's been the best player in basketball for at least two years now. To see this happen and under the circumstances (a perfect 12 minutes of basketball where it seemed possible that it was the start of 3-1 comeback) was terrible to witness as a basketball fan.
TyHolden
AG
Curry owes him about 30 mil
flashplayer
AG
Rudy Gay came back from an Achilles injury and is still pretty good on offense. Durant is at a nearly identical age as Gay when he tore his Achilles.

I think he can come back from it and be all-star caliber upon return. Just not MVP caliber anymore...and his minutes will have to be managed well.
MGS
The Shank Ag said:

I've got newfound respect for the guy. Still think he's a major tool but putting his future on the line for the chance to boost GS to another ship proves he's not at least all about himself
Yep, Kawhi would have sat out the finals and probably the entire next season.
Dad
AG
I think he'll be a top 10 player in the league the season after next. He is four years younger than Kobe was so I still think he will have great years left in him.

If I was a GM, I would offer him a max deal knowing that he is out at least 9 or 10 months and he might not ever be the same again. I just think he could get worse by a notch or two and still be one of the best in the game.
ATM9000
AG
I know they aren't the exact thing, but remember he had that weird mid foot fracture that basically sidelined him a full year like 4 or 5 years ago... also on his right foot.

That stuff adds up on feet and ankles. This will sound dramatic today, but I think there's a better shot he hangs them up than there is of him being a top 10 player ever again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he will retire, but I don't think the big money market will be there for him this offseason given his history and I think he's a role player when he returns.
Iowaggie
AG
aggie-master said:

I think he'll be a top 10 player in the league the season after next. He is four years younger than Kobe was so I still think he will have great years left in him.

If I was a GM, I would offer him a max deal knowing that he is out at least 9 or 10 months and he might not ever be the same again. I just think he could get worse by a notch or two and still be one of the best in the game.

I believe Durant will still get a Max offer from the Knicks or some other team. It's tough to get Superstar talent in the league, and if I'm the Knicks I would pay Durant 4 years to get 3 years of play from him.

Wouldnt be a bad idea for him to take it either (and it's not a bad play to pick up the PO and wait).

Either way, I don't believe he's losing money on this.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

Instead, Durant can exercise his $31.5 million player option and return to the Warriors for the 2019-20 NBA season, much of which will likely be dedicated to rehabbing his injured Achilles. The 30-year-old former MVP would become a free agent the following offseason, more than a year removed from the injury.

Durant also could choose to stick to his expected original plan and opt out of the deal, betting that his status as one of the NBA's most dominant players will convince a team to offer him a max contract despite a severe leg injury. Under NBA rules, teams can offer Durant a 4-year deal worth an estimated $164 million, while the Warriors, as his current franchise, can offer a "super-max" 5-year, $220 million contract.

The injury complicates Golden State's financial outlook as the team contends with looming free agency negotiations with fellow superstars Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. With Stephen Curry already locked in to a super-max contract, any attempt to retain Durant, Thompson and Green would push the Warriors' luxury tax penalty to record levels.

Quote:

Warriors officials have yet to determine the severity of Durant's Achilles injury. A partial or complete tear of the ligament considered one of the most devastating injuries in sports would sideline Durant for months and require a lengthy rehab process.

Quote:

Considering the particulars involved, this is as serious as basketball injuries get. The Achilles is a finicky piece of tissue with the power to twist a career; sports medicine has come quite a long way, but even a best-case scenario from a torn Achilles would likely involve Durant missing one of the prime years of his career before even learning to move again. That the tendon in question happens to belong to the best player in the sport only adds to its complication. LeBron James spoiled an entire generation of NBA fans by averting major injury while with the Heat and Cavs. If Durant's injury is as feared, he could be in line for the second lost season of his career to date, after a series of foot surgeries sidelined him for the majority of the 2014-15 campaign.

Deluxe
AG
I think this will make it easier for him to return to OKC, which is what he intended to do all along. He can exercise his player option with GS, sit out next year, rehab, maybe play in the playoffs as a last hurrah.

Originally I think he planned to go back to OKC after this year, but it would have been tough with Roberson, Adams and Schroder weighing down the books. Obviously they could have made it work but things would have been tight and they would have had to eat a ton of dead salary in trying to offload Adams and Schroder specifically. After next year, they'll have alot more financial flexibility to sign KD and bring in a supporting cast for him/Russ/PG.
Saint Pablo
I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he goes back to OKC
GCP12
AG
Deluxe said:

I think this will make it easier for him to return to OKC, which is what he intended to do all along. He can exercise his player option with GS, sit out next year, rehab, maybe play in the playoffs as a last hurrah.

Originally I think he planned to go back to OKC after this year, but it would have been tough with Roberson, Adams and Schroder weighing down the books. Obviously they could have made it work but things would have been tight and they would have had to eat a ton of dead salary in trying to offload Adams and Schroder specifically. After next year, they'll have alot more financial flexibility to sign KD and bring in a supporting cast for him/Russ/PG.
Did I miss something? When did Durant say he wanted to go back to OKC?
Ulrich
If I were a GM, I would offer the max because I'm locking in two more years for myself, three if I can sell hope that he'll continue to improve and the team will gel in his second year back. Plus no one will really blame you even if KD is never worth the max. It's a superstar league for players and a revolving door for most execs....
AG@RICE
AG
Deluxe said:

Lol. Nobody wants to live in Oklahoma.
. . .
https://instagr.am/p/Byn0c6NjoQq
Quote:

What's good everybody I wanted to update you all: I did rupture my Achilles. Surgery was today and it was a success, EASY MONEY

My road back starts now! I got my family and my loved ones by my side and we truly appreciate all the messages and support people have sent our way.

Like I said Monday, I'm hurting deeply, but I'm OK. Basketball is my biggest love and I wanted to be out there that night because that's what I do. I wanted to help my teammates on our quest for the three peat.

Its just the way things go in this game and I'm proud that I gave it all I physically could, and I'm proud my brothers got the W.

It's going to be a journey but I'm built for this. I'm a hooper

I know my brothers can get this Game 6, and I will be cheering with dub nation while they do it.
Saint Pablo
Quickly went from hating him to somehow feeling bad for him.
Iowaggie
AG
GCP12 said:

Deluxe said:

Did I miss something? When did Durant say he wanted to go back to OKC?

Well, I guess you could say that his Instagram post does say he is OK, and some could interpret it to mean he is Oklahoma.

But I agree, that ship has sailed. If he leaves GS, I believe it is to go East, and I am all for a trend of Western Conference players going East. I also expect the Warriors to offer the max.
Olsen
AG
Carlo4
AG
I'll put out a contrarian view here to what I've read...

I think Durant made a big mistake. I don't blame him and applaud his heart, but I think any internal review of this might discover some bias of team doctors and putting safety/health over the moment. His health appeared to be much worse than reported. I think Durant's heart to play, ego to one up Lebron and come back 3-1 when you didn't play the first, as well as the sheer desperation of Golden State losing two bad games at home put this spot here.

If it wasn't the playoffs, I bet a similar situation to Leonard would have played out.

Also, just watched a view of an irritated Steve Kerr that would have done things differently knowing what he knows now.

Bunk Moreland
I'll throw out my theory...

There are some doctors/trainers/coaches...at least 1 or 2 within that organization that absolutely did not want him playing.

KD worked to come back and wanted to play because he was a social media ping pong ball and then it started bleeding into conversations about his free agency & ultimately his legacy on the Warriors as they swept and went back to GS 1-1.

Once it got to 3-1 and appeared like they needed a miracle, he forced his way with approval from doctors to play and it popped.

Everyone is shocked. Everyone feels bad. He was cleared. Nobody pressured him to play other than him and/or his personal team.

Afterward they gave him the respect of not announcing it and let him do it on his terms...which he did with the surgery. GSW are probably reassuring all folks who had an opinion either way to all stay in unison, since it was his decision based off their doctors clearing him, that's the way it goes.

And obviously if they could do it over again they wouldn't.
flashplayer
AG
Kerr stated KD got his own physician for a second opinion and that this person or group also signed off on KD playing.

While I agree this was probably more KD pushing the docs to let him play and the Warriors being desperate enough to allow it (you can't take chances at a ship for granted, this could very well be the end of their title window), the physicians on both sides had to know an Achilles injury was at minimum some risk. I mean it is the muscle connected to that freaking tendon. Anyone with half a brain and a google search could figure out there is a direct relationship between the calf and Achilles.

Granted the risk probably varies situationally, but they had to know it was at least a possibility. And I think KD probably knew that too, or he is dumber than a box of hammers.

So I give him some props for taking a risk and gutting it out. He moved up a tier in my book. It may not have paid off (if GSW comeback and win I'd argue his gamble was what turned it around for them and won the title - making it worth it). But it was gutsy. Something most of us used to appreciate about sports figures.
Gigemags382
AG
If it really is true that he largely forced his way back, I would lose all of the sympathy for him that I have surprising built up over the last couple days. But who knows if we'll ever really know.

Most impactful sports injury in history in my book. Just a crazy story in so SO many aspects.
Ulrich
I can't speak about other teams and there's a lot of history to play out before we can do a real ranking, but as a Spurs fan I've got two to consider:

Kawhi's leg against GSW a couple years ago is at least as impactful as Durants injury, because we know it changed the course of two franchises. One was no longer a title contender when he left, one is a title contender now that he's there.

Robinson's back in '96-97 turned into Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich, and 5 NBA titles. As of now this is way, way out ahead of Durant hurting his leg and dropping a championship team to a top 2-3 team.
Dad
AG
I want to start by saying I know absolutely nothing about the kind if injuries Durant has recently had, but how does having a small tear in the muscle then cause the tendon to snap?

When I just imagine the situation he had, it seems like he would mostly be at risk for a repeat or worse version of the initial injury instead of a separate and nearby injury. Can anyone here explain?
Gigemags382
AG
Ulrich said:

I can't speak about other teams and there's a lot of history to play out before we can do a real ranking, but as a Spurs fan I've got two to consider:

Kawhi's leg against GSW a couple years ago is at least as impactful as Durants injury, because we know it changed the course of two franchises. One was no longer a title contender when he left, one is a title contender now that he's there.

Robinson's back in '96-97 turned into Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich, and 5 NBA titles. As of now this is way, way out ahead of Durant hurting his leg and dropping a championship team to a top 2-3 team.

1) This happened in the NBA finals
2) It happened to arguably the best player in the league (unarguably top 5)
3) He's right in the middle of his peak prime years
4) It's one of the worst injuries that an athlete can suffer, and one that is almost impossible to recover from back to pre-injury talent level
5) He's days from entering free agency
6) Teams have been trading players and clearing cap space just for the opportunity for a chance to sign Durant

All that is not even mentioning the back story of all the discussion about what will his legacy be after joining the Warriors (he'll never be the "man", etc). Now we'll likely never see what he's like in his peak prime on his own team. His legacy is shot in my opinion.

This isn't about dropping a championship team to top 2-3 in the league. In fact, this has nothing to do with that. The timing, severity, far-reaching impact across the entire league is monumental.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Ulrich said:

4) It's one of the worst injuries that an athlete can suffer, and one that is almost impossible to recover from back to pre-injury talent level
6) Teams have been trading players and clearing cap space just for the opportunity for a chance to sign Durant

All that is not even mentioning the back story of all the discussion about what will his legacy be after joining the Warriors (he'll never be the "man", etc). Now we'll likely never see what he's like in his peak prime on his own team. His legacy is shot in my opinion.

This isn't about dropping a championship team to top 2-3 in the league. In fact, this has nothing to do with that. The timing, severity, far-reaching impact across the entire league is monumental.
I think his legacy at Golden State, actually probably will now be looked at in a more appreciative light because he put his career on the line for them last Monday night. Based on the media conversations thus far, this injury has probably enhanced his Warriors legacy. Not saying your own opinion will change, but in general it seems many folks at least in the media are expressing those kind of opinions right now. And the Warriors teammates and coaches are saying 'We are playing for K' and so forth, for the first time particularly this season, you get the feeling Durant is being truly considered 'one of the Warriors'.
flashplayer
AG
aggie-master said:

I want to start by saying I know absolutely nothing about the kind if injuries Durant has recently had, but how does having a small tear in the muscle then cause the tendon to snap?

When I just imagine the situation he had, it seems like he would mostly be at risk for a repeat or worse version of the initial injury instead of a separate and nearby injury. Can anyone here explain?

It's not really a separate injury. The calf muscle is held to the bone by the Achilles. Calf injuries put more strain on the Achilles. This is a known fact. Those claiming a Medical mystery are ignorant of these facts.
Gigemags382
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Gigemags382 said:

Ulrich said:

I think his legacy at Golden State, actually probably will now be looked at in a more appreciative light because he put his career on the line for them last Monday night. Based on the media conversations thus far, this injury has probably enhanced his Warriors legacy. Not saying your own opinion will change, but in general it seems many folks at least in the media are expressing those kind of opinions right now. And the Warriors teammates and coaches are saying 'We are playing for K' and so forth, for the first time particularly this season, you get the feeling Durant is being truly considered 'one of the Warriors'.

Sure, as far as a reflection of his competitive spirit. And his legacy gets a sentimental boost. But as far as staking a claim as one of the best of all time, he doesn't have much to show for the record books (barring an incredible comeback from this Achilles injury). In my opinion.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Gigemags382 said:

Ulrich said:

Sure, as far as a reflection of his competitive spirit. And his legacy gets a sentimental boost. But as far as staking a claim as one of the best of all time, he doesn't have much to show for the record books (barring an incredible comeback from this Achilles injury). In my opinion.
He is almost certainly going to be considered a top-15 ish player All-Time regardless of how the remainder of his career finishes out.

Remember that he already has an extensive resume with 12 seasons in the NBA under his belt, was NBA Rookie of the Year in 2008, NBA MVP in 2014 at Oklahoma State, 10 All-Star appearances, 6 times on All NBA First Team, was the leading scorer in the NBA for four seasons (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014), 2 NBA titles, 2 NBA Finals MVPs, etc. etc.

He'll probably still, even if only like 75% of what he was after he comes back, knock out a few more years of probably being at least a good (maybe even All-Star level) player....because he is so damn skilled including being a great near 7' shooter. Like Dirk at Dallas, Durant even if a relative statue, could be dangerous just draining shots.

He isn't going to pass Jordan or LeBron in the conversation of 'Greatest of All Time', but he'll certainly be known as one of the 'best of all time'.
ATM9000
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Gigemags382 said:

Ulrich said:

I mean... do you just not pay much attention to basketball?
Gigemags382
AG
Oh come on. Everyone knocked Durant for his move to the Warriors and knew he would not be able to build a "best of all time" argument when he's not even "the guy" on his own team. Everyone knew he would need to win championships at his next stop to be in the best ever conversation. That's gone now without a miraculous comeback from this injury. Don't get all mushy with this injury and start saying his championships with the Warriors are enough. He joined a freaking 70 win team.
ATM9000
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Oh come on. Everyone knocked Durant for his move to the Warriors and knew he would not be able to build a "best of all time" argument when he's not even "the guy" on his own team. Everyone knew he would need to win championships at his next stop to be in the best ever conversation. That's gone now without a miraculous comeback from this injury. Don't get all mushy with this injury and start saying his championships with the Warriors are enough. He joined a freaking 70 win team.

'Everybody' didn't knock him for that... and this sounds very much like the LeBron to the Heat narrative. Then he wins a couple there and he's one of the greatest of all time. Absolutely no different for Durant's legacy.
Ulrich
So far you're making a great argument for why Durant should be bummed about injuring his leg, but nothing for why this is earth shattering for the NBA as a whole, no more than when other elite players miss years for injury.

Whoever was going to get him before is probably still going to get him. This just pushes the timeline back a year. There was no guarantee that he would win a title at his next stop; there's no guarantee that he won't win a title at his next stop now.

After thinking about it further, I'll throw Bill Walton's feet in there as being more impactful to the overall league than Durant's achilles is likely to be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.