Kawahi

9,124 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by amercer
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woj is reporting that he has been medically cleared but will not be returning this season. What is going on with that?
LawHall88
AG
WES2006AG said:

Woj is reporting that he has been medically cleared but will not be returning this season. What is going on with that?
Cleared by the Spurs' doctors, but not Kawhi's doctors.
CreedBratton
He gone
mike_ags_fan12
I just can't see a player who was built up through the spurs up and leave. Really hope he's just playing safe.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Unfortunately it's a new generation of NBA players. They have way too much power and leverage over their organization. I hope something can be done to incentivize players to stay with their organizations, but I don't know what that could be.
3rdGen2015
AG

Pop's comments from practice last night. Definitely a weird story and not one you'd expect to be coming out of San Antonio.
WES2006AG
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Unfortunately it's a new generation of NBA players. They have way too much power and leverage over their organization. I hope something can be done to incentivize players to stay with their organizations, but I don't know what that could be.
That is what the super-max contract was supposed to do. I believe I read that the Spurs can sign him to a 5 year $219 million contract this offseason if they choose and he wants to stay.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That's a good point. But given his health, and the Spurs' spending last summer, that's going to be a big commitment to an unknown. That might be the only chance they have of keeping him though.

If he goes to a place like LA in the offseason the following summer, he could still get the regular max and make the difference up outside of basketball.

Dan Scott
AG
It wouldn't surprise me if he has some kind of mental illness.
Faustus
Dan Scott said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he has some kind of mental illness.
Possibly arachnophobia or bulimia.
Iowaggie
AG
Man, I hope he doesn't go the same route as Derrick Rose.

It's not knees, and I don't think it is an unwillingness or lack of desire to play, but something about being hesitant to get back out there that seems somewhat similar.

Ulrich
He didn't play hesitant though. He was pretty aggressive and seemed to be rounding into form, then suddenly never played again.

I don't like this.
OldArmy71
AG
Mike Finger in the SA paper called him out today, essentially saying "Play or tell us what's going on." That is the first time in memory--certainly during Popovich's tenure--that someone in local media said something essentially negative about a Spur.
Farmer1906
AG
Wasn't he misdiagnosed last year and injured worse because of it? I think everyone expected him to be the next Duncan and he's not that guy and not happy with the org.
jsc8116
AG
You would have to think RC/Pop already have trade proposals penciled in with other clubs for this summer if Kawahi does not re-sign. They have to trade him if he rejects the supermax, assuming they offer it to him. I think Boston/Philly would likely be targeted since they have picks/young players to offer and the front office would like for him to go East vs West.
Ulrich
Good news boys, I dreamed last night that Kawhi makes it back this season and balls out.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

That's a good point. But given his health, and the Spurs' spending last summer, that's going to be a big commitment to an unknown. That might be the only chance they have of keeping him though.

If he goes to a place like LA in the offseason the following summer, he could still get the regular max and make the difference up outside of basketball.

So the most introverted player in the history of the NBA is passive aggressively pushing to leave SA so he can go to a media circus in LA? Makes perfect sense.

It's way more likely that Kawhi is nervous about his injury and the Spurs have encouraged him to take as long as he needs to feel comfortable. Seeing as how they've always been a player first, health first organization that seems more likely.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Still upset the Rockets picked Marcus Morris one spot befpre Kawhi.
HotardAg07
AG
My guess is that he is worried about how Isaiah Thomas situatoin turned out. Guy was in line for a big pay day, fought through some injuries, and it cost him $100+MM. The team wasn't loyal to him, only to winning him, and ditched him shortly after he played days after his sister died.

Kawhi may be worried that, while he's technically cleared to play, he would be a shell of himself due to the pain that he apparently has to play through and doesn't feel comfortable. Playing that way would affect his ability to get the super max extension he deserves, and doing so just to benefit the team at the expense of his own value would not be reciprocated in loyalty because the Spurs could do some ****ty thing to him next year if it was in their best interest.
Enzo The Baker
AG
HotardAg07 said:

My guess is that he is worried about how Isaiah Thomas situatoin turned out. Guy was in line for a big pay day, fought through some injuries, and it cost him $100+MM. The team wasn't loyal to him, only to winning him, and ditched him shortly after he played days after his sister died.

Kawhi may be worried that, while he's technically cleared to play, he would be a shell of himself due to the pain that he apparently has to play through and doesn't feel comfortable. Playing that way would affect his ability to get the super max extension he deserves, and doing so just to benefit the team at the expense of his own value would not be reciprocated in loyalty because the Spurs could do some ****ty thing to him next year if it was in their best interest.

The Spurs would offer Kawhi the max no matter what his output IMO. I think there's more to it than just that.
HotardAg07
AG
I think you have more trust in the organization than Kawhi does at this point, otherwise he'd probably be on the court.
CactusThomas
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Lol wow. What does his sister's death have to do with anything? The team wasn't loyal to him? What even is that? You act like he had been drafted by the C's and played 20 years for them. No. He was coming off the Sun's bench before the Celtics made him a mvp candidate. He will be coming off the bench next year, likely still with the Lakers.

It was his decision to play through the hip issues. He thought if he could finish out his contract, he could get that brinks truck that he used to talk about all the time. He gambled and lost.
CFTXAG10
AG
C Loves L
Ulrich said:

Good news boys, I dreamed last night that Kawhi makes it back this season and balls out.

You had a dream about Kawhi balls out?

Tmi
Ag12thman
AG
They need to let this guy go already. Sounds like he's a crybaby and wants Popovich to ease up in practice and such.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Ag12thman said:

They need to let this guy go already. Sounds like he's a crybaby and wants Popovich to ease up in practice and such.
If a physical specimen like Kawhi thinks practice is too hard, I'm inclined to believe him. I don't think someone who doesn't ***** and moan publicly is going to hang his hat on something like practice being too physically taxing without truly believing it.
C Loves L
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Ag12thman said:

If a physical specimen like Kawhi thinks practice is too hard, I'm inclined to believe him. I don't think someone who doesn't ***** and moan publicly is going to hang his hat on something like practice being too physically taxing without truly believing it.

I'm not buying it. Far to many have played under the same coach and never had this issue like he does. Either the guy wants out or we're missing something here

It's very strange
MookieBlaylock
AG
His uncle took over as his agent and lined up deal with Nike for 250 million of he went to LA

Deal fell thru bc his uncle is a pos

All deals off table that's why the max contract is the next play

I would trade him
claym711
AG
Sounds like Kawhi is going to get a nice little business lesson.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Ag12thman said:

Those grueling practices didn't seem to shorten The careers of Duncan, Ginobli, or Parker.
LitreBoy
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Ag12thman said:

Those grueling practices didn't seem to shorten The careers of Duncan, Ginobli, or Parker.

I call BS on this "story". Kawhi is a gym rat. He's not going to want practices to be lighter or tweaked. Thinking people are putting stuff out there to see what sticks.
Deputy Travis Junior
ESPN has a long freaking article on... whatever the problem is (feud, injury overreaction, overblown nonsense?). Anybody read it yet?
LitreBoy
AG
Long article. Well written. My takeaway is: Pop and Kawhi's relationship is okay. It's the people around Kawhi that is making it difficult.
HotardAg07
AG
It was a good article. The first one to really get into what the disagreement on the issues are with Kawhi's knee and all the weird parties surrounding Kawhi that have made this experience so bizzarre.

Ramona also went on Zach Lowe's podcast and talked about it more.

Honestly, sounds like Kawhi is getting really terrible advice from the people around him. Also sounds like he's really just not wired the same way Duncan/Manu/Tony were and really does want to look out for himself before the Spurs.
flashplayer
AG
HotardAg07 said:

It was a good article. The first one to really get into what the disagreement on the issues are with Kawhi's knee and all the weird parties surrounding Kawhi that have made this experience so bizzarre.

Ramona also went on Zach Lowe's podcast and talked about it more.

Honestly, sounds like Kawhi is getting really terrible advice from the people around him. Also sounds like he's really just not wired the same way Duncan/Manu/Tony were and really does want to look out for himself before the Spurs.

I read the article and came away with an impression somewhat different than what's described in your last paragraph.

To me, it sounds more like the Spurs got their panties in a wad over Kawhi getting the 2nd opinion and that his uncle doesn't communicate worth a damn. Kawhi, just like Tim Duncan, is pursuing various investments and may or may not be getting terrible advice. He, just like Timmy early on in his career, is considering what's best for his future (Orlando overtures).

Actually felt more positive after reading that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.