****Official U.S. MEN'S OLYMPIC SOCCER Thread*****

15,131 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jeffk
AggieCrew44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the same. Robinson made negligible contact with his foot but the big collision was two teammates

That's brutal to award that at this level
Rudyjax
AG
Looked like the Morrocan player was kicked. Very harsh penalty.

But his no call on that Rahimi play is bad.

This guy is over his head.
TshirtVulture
Geez, these Moroccans are taking more dives then the actual diving competition on nbc
Thunder18
AG
That chance that fell to Robinson
Thunder18
AG
Really lazy defending there...yikes
gambochaman
AG
Defense
Thunder18
AG
Way too easy. Defending and goalkeeping
gambochaman
AG
More garbage defense holy wow terrible
swc93
concac
AG
Hakimi's mother is wealthier than he is.
Rudyjax
AG
Those are 2 harsh penalties.

jeffk
AG
Didn't play well today and the harsh penalties didn't help. Morocco is a really good side and they exposed our slow midfield and backline. We had zero ideas up front too.

Overall, still a good experience for this young group. First Olympics in over a decade and hopefully it'll be valuable to them in the future. Still an apparent talent disparity between us and the two teams that beat us, but that makes some sense when you consider that several of our best U23 players are already with the senior team. I do think Luna would have helped this group, but it is what it is.
AustinScubaAg
AG
The interesting question would be, would this team have been better with Balogun, Reyna, Pepi, Musah, Scally, and Tillman(called up but dropped from Copa squad). These players were all age eligible for the Olympic squad.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

The interesting question would be, would this team have been better with Balogun, Reyna, Pepi, Musah, Scally, and Tillman(called up but dropped from Copa squad). These players were all age eligible for the Olympic squad.
They would be better but not sure if the results would've been different.

fig96
AG
Didn't know this was on this morning and just watched. Morocco deserved the win but both those penalties were Charmin soft, I genuinely don't think there was even any contact by the defender on the first.

But for this team that was a solid run, look forward to more development of these players.
deadbq03
AG
Rudyjax said:

AustinScubaAg said:

They would be better but not sure if the results would've been different.

I was about to agree with you, but then I noticed Johnny Cardoso was missing from that list, so I changed my mind in light of that fact.

Seriously though, if it was a full U-23 squad, the US ought to be able to beat U-23 Morocco. Morocco hardly had any exclusions. This was close to their best U-23 squad; they had maybe two notable absences .. a sometimes starter from Eindhoven and a starter for Betis last year who just got signed by Palace.

To be honest, the talent gap in this game came from the overage players... Morocco's were stellar, whereas Robinson in particular was the weak link today and Zimmerman not good either. I hope we see Trusty instead of either of these two in future senior call-ups.

But if we're gonna pit our best U-23 against France's best U-23, it's likely we get the same result, or worse (with a deserved scoreline this time). France's list of U-23 guys who weren't released by their clubs and/or had lots of minutes in the Euros is just filthy. It's littered with guys in Top 5 leagues and includes many Champions League level players (Camavinga and Saliba to name the two biggest, but there's lots).
jeffk
AG
Yeah, this is arguable the most talented couple of generations of players under 30 the US has ever had… but then you look at that same group for a nation like France and realize where we sit in the world pecking order.
Third Son
AG
Watching replay. This is embarrassing. The US side was outclassed. Couldn't build out or make meaningful passes. Poor defending. Moroccan side looks well trained and confident. US boys don't look match fit. Terrible result.
jessexy
AG
concac said:

Hakimi's mother is wealthier than he is.
Yup! cuz he's got a brilliant lawyer and agent.
jessexy
AG
Third Son said:

Watching replay. This is embarrassing. The US side was outclassed. Couldn't build out or make meaningful passes. Poor defending. Moroccan side looks well trained and confident. US boys don't look match fit. Terrible result.
Damn bro! Morocco is good. They literally just went to the World Cup and finished 4th place. And that trickles down to the U23s.

Their best player plays for PSG.
USA's best player is nowhere near that.

This was always gonna be Morocco outclassing USA.
wangus12
AG
France had a 1-nil lead early, but Spain just blitzed them with 3 goals in 10 minutes
TXAggie2011
AG
wangus12 said:

France had a 1-nil lead early, but Spain just blitzed them with 3 goals in 10 minutes

Pretty wild game so far. France could or should also have 2 or 3 goals by now
Out in Left Field
gougler08
AG
Bonkers game
agsalaska
AG
One of the top games in recent memory. What a game.
CobyRiley
What are the results? I haven't had time to watch the recording yet
jeffk
AG
https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule/football?day=25-july

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.