*****COPA America 2024*****

46,903 Views | 850 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tysker
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's some wild clips from the stands. Uraguayan players and fans throwing punches
BJM1781
AG
Stay classy, CONMENBOL!
zgolfz85
AG
Out in Left Field said:

There's some wild clips from the stands. Uraguayan players and fans throwing punches

Can't wait to see the viral videos on social media from fan phones
aggiebird02
World Cup 2026 is gonna be lit!
BJM1781
AG
I'm sorry, but the Euros knockout stage has been much better than Copa. The quality of play is streets ahead. Not to mention the lack of ridiculous fouls, cards, and controversial referees.
Out in Left Field
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Out in Left Field said:

Can't wait to see the viral videos on social media from fan phones

r/soccer
zgolfz85
AG
BJM1781 said:

I'm sorry, but the Euros knockout stage has been much better than Copa. The quality of play is streets ahead. Not to mention the lack of ridiculous fouls, cards, and controversial referees.

Now that we're out, I like the difference from the entertainment standpoint. Euros is finesse, copa is full contact street ball
BJM1781
AG
True. It is entertaining in a different way.
oragator
I've never heard Stu that into a non US game. He was all jacked up.
aggiebird02
oragator said:

That dude is a goofball…
oragator
Some video of the fight here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13622249/Shocking-moment-Liverpool-star-Darwin-Nunez-jumps-crowd-starts-swinging-punches-FANS-Copa-America-descends-chaos.html
Dre_00
oragator said:

Furlock Bones
AG
Darwin Nuñez rears back takes a shot with the chair and misses! Darwin is as consistent off the field as he is on.
AggieRob93
AG
Crispin Torque said:

Was that Darwin Nunez in the stands fighting with fans?
Turns out he was! Good eye!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Darwin Nuñez rears back takes a shot with the chair and misses! Darwin is as consistent off the field as he is on.
he went full Bobby knight. You never go full Bobby knight.
gougler08
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Furlock Bones said:

Apparently that was the section all the families of the players were in, but you can't go Knight/Artest. That's going to be a hefty suspension
ColoradoMooseHerd
Maybe this was already addressed, but why were the Uruguay families seated in the middle of the Colombian Section? This just seems like it goes against all common sense
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
gougler08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Apparently that was the section all the families of the players were in, but you can't go Knight/Artest. That's going to be a hefty suspension
good point. That was a Knight/Artest twofer.
aggiebird02
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Maybe this was already addressed, but why were the Uruguay families seated in the middle of the Colombian Section? This just seems like it goes against all common sense
Not if your goal is to potentially cause strife, making one or both teams/countries/fans look bad.

Who runs this confederation? Either of these teams run the confederation? Are both of these teams a threat to the two teams who do run the confederation?

Just a crazy thought…
gougler08
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Not if your goal is to potentially cause strife, making one or both teams/countries/fans look bad.

Who runs this confederation? Either of these teams run the confederation? Are both of these teams a threat to the two teams who do run the confederation?

Just a crazy thought…

I love the conspiracy theory but the more likely scenario is the Colombian fans came down to field level after the win / it was just standard tickets sold (they seemed to have way more fans there)

Pretty sure that section was right behind the Uruguay bench so would make sense to have families there
jeffk
AG
gougler08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Darwin and the other players should definitely get punished, but also I get it. If my family was being assaulted by a bunch of drunks, I'd probably decide to intervene too.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

gougler08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Darwin and the other players should definitely get punished, but also I get it. If my family was being assaulted by a bunch of drunks, I'd probably decide to intervene too.

I agree, the family angle definitely changes things for me
Danger Mouse
AG
jeffk said:

gougler08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

For my family's safety, I would intervene without question. Eff whatever criticism I would receive.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Furlock Bones
AG
A guy just called in to Sirius fc and said the players families were already on the field away from any abuse when Darwin went charging back out and ran to the stands.
OregonAggie
AG
Furlock Bones said:

A guy just called in to Sirius fc and said the players families were already on the field away from any abuse when Darwin went charging back out and ran to the stands.

Even if my family were safe, I'd go up there and kick some ass. I wouldn't care about the fall out. Sometimes people need an asskicking.

In unrelated news, I'll be attending my anger management class tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Well color me convinced. If a guy on the radio says it…
oragator

Mathguy64
AG
So to paraphrase: "this was all a big money grab by CONMEBOL. They grabbed the money and ran."
Furlock Bones
AG
He said he was in the next section over. Claimed he was a neutral. YMMV. But that's not the first person to say the families were already out of any danger when the fighting actually started.
jeffk
AG
Looking at the videos, there's some of that section that's been emptied and also some Uruguayan folks that were still there fighting with the Colombians. I have zero idea who exactly it was that was still there, but it seems pretty obvious that the players who went into the stands did so because they were worried about someone still there in a dangerous situation.
deadbq03
AG
IDK man. From the videos I've seen, there's two separate occasions where Nunez is getting into it with fans while he's still on the field. One he's just talking trash with them and the other is the infamous chair video.

And then when he climbs into the stands, in every angle it's clear that there's nothing but Uruguayan dudes who look like they want to fight left in that section. There's zero women and children there at that point.

What happened in the stands before he climbed is a mystery, but it's clear to me that a) he was pissed at fans before he went up, and b) by the time he went up, there was no families of players in the stands.

I have a strong suspicion that the "our families were being attacked" narrative is false. I won't deny that the players may have feared for their families' safety at some point, but I think the real story is that a) these players are used to being in environments where there are literally walls/cages to keep fans from interacting with players (and we don't do that in the US), and b) they were shaken up by the fact that without a wall/cage, the Colombian fans were giving them verbal abuse (and occasional bottles, etc), and these same Colombians were super close to their families. So the fear was real, but the actual threat didn't actually exist.
EastSideAg2002
If you dont want your family hurt, dont bring them to the game.

-Mexico fan at azteca probably
jeffk
AG
Fair enough. I'm just playing internet super sleuth here with the video I've seen. Darwin isn't known for his incredible decision making skills so nothing is off the table I guess.
JJxvi
AG
Uruguay fans and players should rip off all their shirts to display "Why Always Me" on tshirts under it
Heisenberg01
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

If it was anything like the game I attended between the US and Columbia in DC, the whole stadium is Colombian sections. My understanding is 90% of the fans were supporters of Columbia at the game with Uruguay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.