*****COPA America 2024*****

46,991 Views | 850 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tysker
tejas_ayanem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PatAg said:

tejas_ayanem said:

Mathguy64 said:

Fox had a half a nightmare with no Mexico. It will be a full on screaming nightmare is we get bounced.
This is already a failure for Fox. USMNT doesn't move the needle.

Copium
Call it whatever, it's the truth. Most Americans don't even know Copa America is going on, nor do they care.
deadbq03
AG
Wrong.

"The audience for the U.S. team's 2-0 win over Bolivia topped out at 4.01 million viewers, making it the most-watched non-World Cup match ever to air on Fox."

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2024/us-soccer-euros-copa-america-fox-sports-1234785970/#
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Rudyjax said:

Any one know the history of Mexico? Did they back have African slaces? They're one of the few countries in North and South America that doesn't have a large population of folks of recent African descent.

You've also asked about Argentina recently so I'll do both.

Mexico never had a large African population for a variety of reasons, one of them being that they abolished the slave trade in 1824, which is relatively early, but probably more so that the Spanish were pretty successful at subjugating the indigenous population in Mexico so there was less of a need to bother making the longer trip from Africa to bring in labor.

Argentina did have a large proportion of their population being enslaved Africans at one point, but after independence they had a lot of laws to encourage European migration (literally, it's in their original constitution and remains there today) and they also did pretty rotten things to make their black population emigrate. One of their presidents in the late 1800s was quoted as saying something to the effect of "one day, if you want to see a black man, you'll have to go to Brazil."

Thank you.
La Bamba
AG
Rudyjax said:

deadbq03 said:

Rudyjax said:

Any one know the history of Mexico? Did they back have African slaces? They're one of the few countries in North and South America that doesn't have a large population of folks of recent African descent.

You've also asked about Argentina recently so I'll do both.

Mexico never had a large African population for a variety of reasons, one of them being that they abolished the slave trade in 1824, which is relatively early, but probably more so that the Spanish were pretty successful at subjugating the indigenous population in Mexico so there was less of a need to bother making the longer trip from Africa to bring in labor.

Argentina did have a large proportion of their population being enslaved Africans at one point, but after independence they had a lot of laws to encourage European migration (literally, it's in their original constitution and remains there today) and they also did pretty rotten things to make their black population emigrate. One of their presidents in the late 1800s was quoted as saying something to the effect of "one day, if you want to see a black man, you'll have to go to Brazil."

Thank you.

This conversation reminds me of that ridiculous article that came out in 2022 bemoaning the lack of black players on Argentina's squad. A Washington Post article (figures).
https://nypost.com/2022/12/12/washington-post-corrects-op-ed-about-no-black-players-on-argentina-soccer-team/
Bunk Moreland
Was at the Venezuela Jamaica game tonight. Ton of fun. I am way too casual a fan to understand true talent, and while I can clearly see the difference in person of a team like VZ and the Brazil team I saw at Kyle a few weeks ago.... Venezuela puts the pressure on when they attack and they go right at the goal. Their history is garbage but I think they're quite deserving of their results so far.
jeffk
AG
Canada advanced with a 0-0 result. Mexico was eliminated by the same. Interestingly, the US could either advance or be eliminated with another 0-0 depending on the Panama result. (Personally, I think US needs a win as Panama is unlikely to lose to Bolivia.)
akm91
AG
Would be ironic if Canada and Panama were the only Concacaf teams to make it to the knockout stage.
jeffk
AG
Hopefully the stadium in Arizona is still standing. Mexico being eliminated and having that last-minute penalty overruled by VAR was a lot.
aggiebird02
Don't we need to win by two or three goals? Panama is gonna run up GD against Bolivia…
jeffk
AG
We're tied on points and ahead in GD (we're +1 and Panama is -1).
aggiebird02
They're ahead on goals scored though, so if it's a tie on GD, they have the tie breaker…
jeffk
AG
If you just wanted to post all the tie breaker scenarios, you could do that. That wasn't something I was confused about or asking for.
aggiebird02
I was just enjoying a discussion, no reason to pop-off, jerk…
jeffk
AG
Make up your mind, man. Do you want people to give you a hard time or treat you with kid gloves?
deadbq03
AG
Honestly, us beating Uruguay but failing to advance on GD seems like the inevitable outcome to me. Team bounces back and looks good, but it won't be enough to advance.

USSF lackeys will use the red card as an excuse and praise the brilliance of the two wins. Ggg's contract will get extended to late 2028.
oh no
AG
Yeah, I'm going to watch because it's like a train wreck, I feel obliged to, and I love soccer...

...but USA beating one of the top 2-3 squads in the tournament is already unlikely. And even if they squeeze out a tough or lucky victory or even a hard-fought draw that makes us proud of the effort, Bolivia is bad. Really bad. and already eliminated. Panama is almost guaranteed to pick up multiple points in GD tonight, so our effort may not matter much. Will be interesting to see the effort tonight though.

the aftermath will be fun. I don't think Greggg should have been re-hired to begin with and I think even the incestuous unqualified and corrupt brass know it now.

jeffk
AG
Bolivia is bad and already eliminated, but I could see that playing out two ways. 1) they roll over and get rolled over or 2) they are pissed off and come out and muck it up and play a CONCACAFy mess of a game. Panama is down a man (or two?) due to cards, so that should help a bit.

Either way, I'll be tuning in hoping for the best but expecting to be disappointed.
oh no
AG
I'll probably keep my tv on the USA match, but oh man would that be awesome and fitting if Bolivia baits Panama into an early RC in the other match.
TRM
AG
Bolivia isn't eliminated. Can advance with a win and US loss with goal differential
jeffk
AG
TRM said:

Bolivia isn't eliminated. Can advance with a win and US loss with goal differential

Good point. They do *seem* very eliminated but they still have a way through.
oh no
AG
ooof. i guess that's true. welp, here's to hoping they fight their asses off to a draw vs Panama while we're watching USA this evening.
KCup17
AG
Y'all think GGG keeps his job if we get grouped?
oh no
AG
no
OregonAggie
AG
No
carl spacklers hat
Yes, because USSF sucks arse
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
oh no
AG
two years to get this group ready for a WC that we are hosting here in USA. with limited opportunities for international windows filled with concacaf crap and friendlies, ussf needs to go in a different direction if they get grouped tonight, even if the effort is good vs uruguay in a close win, loss, or draw and we're grouped because of the panama - boliva result or GD. It's time.
KCup17
AG
What about the argument that GGG was who the players wanted?
deadbq03
AG
KCup17 said:

Been thinking about this over the past couple days, and I think it's maybe just a variant of typical USSF nepotism. Ggg has favorites and basically lets them know they've got a semi-permanent starting spot. Players love that and want to support him rather than face an unknown who they'll have to work for in order to impress and keep their jobs.
oh no
AG
KCup17 said:

well then the players got what they wanted and still got grouped by Panama one year later, so it no longer matters what they want.
concac
AG
oh no said:

KCup17 said:

well then the players got what they wanted and still got grouped by Panama one year later, so it no longer matters what they want.
Our players are pretty stupid so we shouldn't value their opinions at all. Most of them want a coach who would let them get away with stuff and not bust their asses.
oh no
AG
Unemployed said:

oh no said:

KCup17 said:

Our players are pretty stupid so we shouldn't value their opinions at all. Most of them want a coach who would let them get away with stuff and not bust their asses.
but not when we're talking about the A&M baseball team. Right? ....right?
concac
AG
oh no said:

Unemployed said:

oh no said:

KCup17 said:

but not when we're talking about the A&M baseball team. Right? ....right?
Well, if he was hired because that's who the players wanted, then we're screwed. But I don't follow Aggie baseball close enough to care.
aggiebird02
jeffk said:

Make up your mind, man. Do you want people to give you a hard time or treat you with kid gloves?
Are you capable of not being a dick? GFY, jeffk…
Project Gemini
AG
The intelligence level of professional soccer players and collegiate baseball players is probably materially different. Most professional soccer players did not get a very substantial education after the age of about 14.
deadbq03
AG
No way man. Lamine Yamal just passed his exams. He's an athlete and a scholar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.