*****COPA America 2024*****

47,017 Views | 850 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tysker
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There were like 5 offside players including the guy heading it. No flag.
OregonAggie
AG
How many chances are Argentina going to blow?
Furlock Bones
AG
Oof that hurts.
Rudyjax
AG
Uh oh.
TRM
AG
i is smart said:

The camel GOAT would never fail like that.
wangus12
AG
OregonAggie said:

How many chances are Argentina going to blow?
Don't worry, if the USA plays them, Argentina will score 4 bangers that all deserve their own highlight reel
Mathguy64
AG
This was bad. Canadian player with a nasty orange foul on Messi, no card and moments later stamps on MacAlistwr no card. Woof. They are right to get him out.
oh no
AG
#8 kone for Canada has had many wreckless tackles. Smart to sub him off before he's sent off
Pahdz
Argentine keeper was clearly out of the area with that punt
Furlock Bones
AG
Goal assist Messi.
Pahdz
That was purty
oh no
AG
Wow!!
oh no
AG
5 hole
oh no
AG
Meg the keeper!!
i is smart
AG
That MLS bum finally does something productive.
concac
AG
Tackle by Lo Celso on Davies is retaliation for that tackle on Messi.
BQ_90
AG
It's getting chippy
Furlock Bones
AG
Way to go Canada and Jesse. You didn't suck as much as we all thought you would.

Well actually you did. But Argentina and especially Messi couldn't finish. So the score doesn't look like you sucked as bad as you did.
Rudyjax
AG
FotMob with Messi as MoTM at an 8.2.

Ummmm.
Furlock Bones
AG
How does it work if you create a bunch of chances yet absolutely blow them?
Dre_00
Am I reading this right? They laid the grass pitch 2 DAYS before the game?

It's funny how Copa America and others keep coming to use the massive football stadiums and make oodles of money even though it's clear that the football stadiums are in no way interested in catering to their operational needs because...they know they'll come back anyway.
oh no
AG
FIFA won't allow them to play on turf... so they play on recently dropped plots of sod splitting and falling apart at the seams.

....I will say that they did a pretty damn good job getting Kyle Field ready. NRG and AT&T, and of course based on last night, Mercedes-Benz continue to be terrible at this.
jeffk
AG
Atlanta United had a home game this past Saturday. I guess they could have asked MLS to move schedules around when the tournament game dates were released, but yeah, field conditions are pretty low down the priority list for the federations organizing these tournaments.
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

Atlanta United had a home game this past Saturday. I guess they could have asked MLS to move schedules around when the tournament game dates were released, but yeah, field conditions are pretty low down the priority list for the federations organizing these tournaments.
This is why I'm very curious to see how they do the World Cup. FIFA has pretty strict guidelines on the field for the WC. These big stadiums need to have the sod down weeks in advance. Somebody said AT&T had theirs down for the Copa a few weeks ago, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Kyle Field absolutely crushed it for the Brazil-Mexico match, but indoor stadiums really struggle with any decent grass fields (except maybe Arizona)
deadbq03
AG
The final will be played on a newly sod surface too, because there's a damn concert between the group stage and the final.

But I suppose to the point above, if the federations really wanted to, they could pony up to rent exclusive rights to the facility for a longer period of time. They clearly don't care that much.
jeffk
AG
Arizona is a special case too because the playing surface actually resides outdoors until gameday.
wangus12
AG
Yeah thats why I separated them out.
jeffk
Furlock Bones
AG
That's ridiculous. Of course we aren't alone in poor surfaces. Did you watch the England game in Frankfurt yesterday? The field was absolute disaster.
Project Gemini
AG
Furlock Bones said:

That's ridiculous. Of course we aren't alone in poor surfaces. Did you watch the England game in Frankfurt yesterday? The field was absolute disaster.
The difference is the seams versus a field that has no seams, and may just not be in great shape (too wet, etc.). But let's be honest, these stadiums dont even get it right for the NFL in a lot of cases either. The Bears have had a crap field. The Texans got sued a few times over the seams in the grass.
byfLuger41
AG
I understand the game is in Texas, but why are there so many Texas flags in the stands?
jeffk
AG
Sorry if you're not being serious, but folks regularly get the Chile and Texas flags confused and some even use them interchangeably in a pinch.
Mathguy64
AG
byfLuger41 said:

I understand the game is in Texas, but why are there so many Texas flags in the stands?

Chile. We like them here. I even put chile in my chili.
Mathguy64
AG
I just started watching.

I had no idea Alexis Sanchez was still playing.
oh no
AG
Damn Alexis has aged

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.