*****COPA America 2024*****

46,830 Views | 850 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tysker
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time to start the official thread now that teams are starting to release their squads.

Brazil even without Neymar have a crazy deep squad. They might even be a better team without him. They will look good in the runners up medals before USA lifts the trophy.

jeffk
AG
American Outlaws put out a release explaining why they've had such a hard time getting tickets to the USMNT games today. Long story short: CONMEBOL makes USSF and CONCACAF look relatively competent.

https://theamericanoutlaws.com/stories/668-copa-tickets-facts-frustrations-and-what-s-to-come
Furlock Bones
AG
Shocked that a South American organization can't get their ish together.
Furlock Bones
AG

aggiebird02
DOWN with Mexico, UP with the USA!

Quarter Finals or BUST!
jeffk
AG
Here's the good guys:
jessexy
AG
Love watching Timmy Tillman play. He might not get many chances in this team though. But he's a class above most other American mids in MLS.

So happy we can move along from Roldan and Jordan Morris also. I still can't believe Morris played minutes in Qatar.

GK looks to have moved from a strength to a weakness.
RB has question marks. Scally got torched in Nations League v. Jamaica and was subbed at halftime. No Cannon or Reynolds. Is Yedlin done?
CB looks strong
LB looks strong as well

Midfield is stacked with ballers all over. How healthy is Tyler Adams? How many ways with GGG screw with this part of the field to make it impossible to play to its high potential?

Forward line could struggle to score goals but they have players that can compete with these Copa America opponents.

Any glaring omissions?
deadbq03
AG
I'm not sure it's a glaring omission, but it is interesting that Walker Zimmerman wasn't called up.

Only guy I really wanted to see on here that didn't get called up was Lennard Maloney. Dude is a regular starter for a mid-table Bundesliga club. I kinda also wanted to see Trusty. Not exactly sure who I'd bounce to add them though. Shaq Moore doesn't belong in this roster if Dest is healthy, but he kinda has to be here now, I guess.

Actually on second thought I'd definitely bounce Shaq Moore for Maloney. If we need a backup RB, I'd rather have Weah or Adams or dang near anyone else playing out of position back there instead of Moore. At 27, he's now becoming a classic GGG MLS bench relic like the aforementioned Morris and Roldan were… guys that are never gonna improve but still get called up somehow.
deadbq03
AG
Also, I'll go ahead and address the elephant in the room…

I love Tim Ream, but we're rapidly approaching the time when it might be good to retire him. He's had 180 minutes of football since Feb 17… and half of that was with USMNT. And he wasn't out due to injury… Father Time has caught him.

I'd love to see him get hired as an assistant coach.

This may have not been the right time to drop him, but that time is coming. Since he's here I hope he can ball-out and leave on a high note.
jessexy
AG
Zimmerman got hurt and just came back to playing last week, so I understand that. Trusty would be classified as an omission IMO.

Shaq Moore played minutes in the World Cup and has been in GGG's plans. Similar to Kellyn Acosta who had the most USMNT minutes played in 2023.

Ream will provide leadership. He's the CB with real international experience. I know we have CCV but Ream can provide something to the youngsters that nobody else can. How much he plays in these friendlies might be different than his PT in Copa America.
Furlock Bones
AG
First thing I said was we have to find Tim Ream's replacement.
sburg2007
I work at a site conmebol is using for training. They are a total S show. It's a joke how awful their communication is. They hired some random masters student as a site rep to grade my pitch. I laughed at them and said they get my product or they can kick rocks.
deadbq03
AG
RB is certainly gonna be interesting to watch. Guess GGG doesn't have much faith in Scally, and perhaps rightly so.

Furlock Bones
AG
Shaq Moore rather than Scally is something only ggg could cook up.
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk
AG
deadbq03 said:

RB is certainly gonna be interesting to watch. Guess GGG doesn't have much faith in Scally, and perhaps rightly so.

Weston would get cooked at RB.
deadbq03
AG
ttt
oh no
AG
weah has played some good minutes at RWB for Juve and lille

Adams has played some RB for club as well. Shaq has shown promise in attacking runs and hopefully has developed well since his poor performance in Qatar two years ago.

..not sure about McKinney as a RB. He's a good defender, should be fit enough for endline to endline runs and overlapping runs, but hasn't played RB a ton and likes to be all over the place as central midfielder/ #8.
oh no
AG
starting tomorrow, we get Copa night games after the Euro day games, everyday for nearly a week straight.
byfLuger41
AG
It's happening!
Rudyjax
AG
Messi was so sweet to all those kids.
Rudyjax
AG
Jesse knows the Canadian national anthem.
Furlock Bones
AG
**** Canada

Furlock Bones
AG
A lot of seams on the field
Mathguy64
AG
Not many days can we watch 4 matches of this quality. And by the time the weekend hits we get 5.

What a week.
Mathguy64
AG
Dear Canada. Welcome to the Jesse Marsch school of defense.
deadbq03
AG
Mathguy64 said:

was about to post the same. Counter-press high line at all costs.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

This might get really ugly really fast.
Mathguy64
AG
Leaving Messi unmarked in the area is a bold strategy.
Furlock Bones
AG
Fox audio delayed. Awful.
Rudyjax
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Mine is fine.
TRM
AG
Audio good for me.
Rudyjax
AG
Is it just me or are they milking fouls way more than the other games this week?
i is smart
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I have DirectTV Stream on my Roku and had to reset it. Had the same issue as you. It's fine now.
Rudyjax
AG
No card there for SPA?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.