Arsenal 2023-2024 Thread

156,778 Views | 3478 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by CatD11Ag
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2022-2023 is now OVER!

Let's do this.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Just ordered the new home shirt with Xhaka on the back. Gonna truly miss him. Surprisingly emotional today seeing that big smile after his second goal. I'll always appreciate what he brought to the club.
Ag Since 83
AG
Page 1
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Teacher_Ag said:

Just ordered the new home shirt with Xhaka on the back. Gonna truly miss him. Surprisingly emotional today seeing that big smile after his second goal. I'll always appreciate what he brought to the club.

I do love the guy but we didn't always love what he brought.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Had some reckless moments, for sure, but in a phase where we looked so lightweight Xhaka was the one who was willing to play balls to the wall every match. Unlike others you could tell it deeply bothered him when we played without heart and lost. I think our turnaround and the spark lit under the younger guys has a lot more to do with him than people likely realize.
wangus12
AG
Xhaka is pretty much an individual representation of the last 7 years. Saw some God awful play and then things have finally started to improve and finish on a decent high point
OneBlitzer
AG
Onward and upward! Let's win some hardware!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I am going to miss him playing for us. It must have been very difficult sticking around and playing for a club that lost its way for a few seasons.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
TXAggie2011
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Arsenal are confirmed to be in Pot 2 for the CL group stage, so no nightmare Bayern/Real Madrid group or anything like that.
wangus12
AG
Really torn on getting the Home kit with or without a name/number.

Seeing it live has really swayed me....and I'm a suckered for the gold stuff
byfLuger41
AG
Page Juan
wangus12
AG
Let the crazy season begin.

PSG are interested in signing Martin Odegaard for 90m this summer lol. Unless they drop close to Neymar money, there is zero chance we are letting him go. Hell Mason Mount is being quoted at 85m. They are not the same
wangus12
AG
chjoak
AG

This makes me very happy. If we sign Gundogan to take Xhaka's spot, he will need rotation to stay healthy. Would love to see ESR be his rotation partner. Give Gundo CL & big EPL matches. Give ESR cups and lessor EPL matches until he proves himself ready for more.
rebag00
AG
In. If you had told me on page 1 of the previous year that we would finish 5 pts back in second with a +45 goal diff I would have struggled to believe it. I wonder what the 23-24 season will bring us? Lots of pundits ****ting on us now (as is the fashion) but I think if we sign Rice and Caicedo and can stay relatively healthy, we could challenge again. It was a good year considering what we looked like coming into it.
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

We need depth, so this is good
chjoak
AG
Assumed pre-summer window depth chart minus players we all expect to leave...

GK - Ramsdale, Turner
LB - Zinchenko, Tomi
RB - White, Tomi
CB - Saliba, Gabriel, Kiwior
DM - Partey, Jorginho
CM - ESR/Vieira
AM - MO, ESR/Vieira
LW - Martinelli, Trossard
RW - Saka, Nelson
ST - Jesus, Eddie

Based on that we need atleast 1 FB, 1 CB & 2 MF. Would be nice to add a 2nd FB, 3rd MF and a ST.

All of the "pundits" are expecting we will be in for 1 defender, 2 MF & 1 forward. I think those suggestions may be accurate but do not account for players that are likely leaving and need to be replaced. That is were we could see a 2nd defender (1 FB & 1 CB) plus a 3rd MF (1 DM, 1 CM & 1 AM?).
chjoak
AG
Current links (some likely BS) I have seen by position...

GK - none
FB - Cancelo, Fresneda, Boey
CB - Simikan, Sutalo, Pavard, Tapsoba
DM - Rice, Caicedo
CM - Gundogan, Rabiot, Mount
AM - Simons, Maddison, Kudus, Mateus Franca (Flamengo)
W - Diaby, Olise, Ansu Fati
ST - Thuram, Vlahovic, Wahi, Pedrinho (Corinthians), Vitor Roque (Atl Paranaense)
Ag Since 83
AG
I wonder what Turner thinks of his current situation. He is a much better keeper than Horvath IMO, but he might be wondering how his national team fate will be impacted if Horvath is starting in the Prem next season. Plus wherever Steffen ends up

I really wish Arteta had played him Sunday
TXAggie2011
AG
If we bring in a ready-to-play full back, then I think the club may look at center back as "covered" between Saliba, Gabriel, White, Tomiyasu, and Kiwior.

The root challenge since Saliba was injured has been that Ben White was not available to play center back. If Tomiyasu was available to play on the right and Ben White could have moved centrally, there might have been a lot less hand-wringing about the defensive situation.
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

Current links (some likely BS) I have seen by position...

GK - none
FB - Cancelo, Fresneda, Boey
CB - Simikan, Sutalo, Pavard, Tapsoba
DM - Rice, Caicedo
CM - Gundogan, Rabiot, Mount
AM - Simons, Maddison, Kudus, Mateus Franca (Flamengo)
W - Diaby, Olise, Ansu Fati
ST - Thuram, Vlahovic, Wahi, Pedrinho (Corinthians), Vitor Roque (Atl Paranaense)
What? No Draxler?

At least Rabiot is on there
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

If we bring in a ready-to-play full back, then I think the club may look at center back as "covered" between Saliba, Gabriel, White, Tomiyasu, and Kiwior.

The root challenge since Saliba was injured has been that Ben White was not available to play center back. If Tomiyasu was available to play on the right and Ben White could have moved centrally, there might have been a lot less hand-wringing about the defensive situation.
Agreed. It's possible that we focus on FB and plan for White to play at CB at times. Really depends on (a) who is available at what price and (b) where is Mikel's head as far as the future scheme. If he likes the 3-2-2-3 formation in attack, he may be inclined to move towards FBs that are CB/FB hybrids (White, Tomi & Kiwior) but if a 2-3-2-3 formation in attack (2 inverted FBs) is in the cards then it is more likely we focus on FBs with White getting some CB rotation next season.

The other interesting aspect to this is Saliba. How long will he be out? Is he going to extend? Could play heavily into what we do next season as well.
wangus12
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I wonder what Turner thinks of his current situation. He is a much better keeper than Horvath IMO, but he might be wondering how his national team fate will be impacted if Horvath is starting in the Prem next season. Plus wherever Steffen ends up

I really wish Arteta had played him Sunday
I think he spends at least one more year at Arsenal. He gets to play for his favorite team and I don't think he needs to worry about his NT fate until 24/25 when we start really gearing up for the World Cup. Will be interesting to see if Horvath gets a transfer to Luton or somewhere else. I don't think he takes to starting job at Nottingham Forrest.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think if Copa America 2024 wasn't a thing, 1 extra year at Arsenal would be a no brainer. But he might worry about being #1 in summer 2024.

All this also depends on if Arteta is happy with him as #2. I think that Sporting first leg impacted Arteta's confidence in him.
chjoak
AG
To be entirely honest, I don't think Turner is a good fit for Arsenal. He's a solid shot blocker but his distribution is not good. I wouldn't be opposed to selling him this summer but I don't think we want to use any funds on a backup GK. So unless we get someone in FA, promote Hein/Okonkwo or find someone on a really cheap fee, I don't see us addressing it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Just realized Henri Lansbury plays for Luton Town. That was a name I hadn't thought about for a long time
wangus12
AG
He was with Aston Villa for a few years. And I wanna say he was part of an older Nottingham Forest team that knocked us out of the FA Cup years ago. What surprised me is that he is 32
chjoak
AG
Seeing more SMS rumors popping up. Supposedly Inter, Juventus & Arsenal interested. Contract expires in 2024 and rumors suggest that he will be available this summer for 30-40m euro.
chjoak
AG

Maddison was supposed to be headed to Newcastle. They are now rumored to be getting Gabri Veiga instead. Some take that as Newcastle backing away. Others suggest that Maddison found what he feels is a better option.

Slightly different than other pundits are saying. Assuming we sign 4 "important" players, I could see this position wishlist being more accurate. If Nelson resigns we have 6 players for 3 positions and most can play 2-3 spots. Think if we add a forward it is highly likely to be one of those young Brazilians we have been linked to.
chjoak
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Pay the man
wangus12
AG
chjoak
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.