*****Austin FC 2023 Thread*****

13,868 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by AgRyan04
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting off the 2023 thread with this fantastic video on Diego, worth the watch:

And now some signing news...

Just re-signed Jimenez, good depth signing with more matches this season:

Picked up a young striker from Seattle's MLS Next team, lots of potential:

And ICYMI signed Stuver to a long term deal (as we should have):

Potential bigger news, looks like we'll be signing former USMNT striker Gyasi Zardes. He has his faults, but he's got pace for days and scored 10 goals last season for two bad teams, he just might thrive with service from Driussi/***undez/Rigoni:

JCRiley09
AG
LFG!
JCRiley09
AG

Official! I like this signing. Hoesen out, Zardes in. That's an upgrade
jeffk
AG
Hooo boy. I can't wait to see what body part he accidentally scored with next.
fig96
AG
Definitely, he's going to thrive in this system (and has before playing under Berhalter).

And if you're two steps past the defender the particular body part isn't important
JW
AG
good signing
aggiephoenix02
I'm excited to see what our LBGTQA+ jerseys look like this season!
Furlock Bones
AG
agreed with yall that i believe this will be a really good signing for this squad. i expect him to do well in our system.

fig96
AG
Austin FC II will start play in 2023.

Mike Elko
AG
No mention of the Gio/GGG situation in that clip... Color me disappointed.
fig96
AG
Young Dutch winger incoming, we need a bit of depth on the wings (especially if Teen Wolff may be off to PSV as rumored) and a young players who's trained at PSV and Feyenoord isn't a bad thing.

JCRiley09
AG
Article says he's right footed. I think the depth on the left is pretty much Diego and redes only. I'm not a fan of Rodney as a 2nd string player
fig96
AG

Context is important. The entire sentence...

Quote:

Toure - a right-footed winger who cuts in from the left flank - joins the likes of Sebastian Driussi, Moussa Djitte, Ethan Finlay, and Diego ***undez on the Austin FC forward line.

Also, Rigoni can play either side (I think prefers the left).
JCRiley09
AG
lol reading comprehension
fig96
AG
Haha, all good. Seems like a good depth signing that hopefully relegates Redes to the bench (probably time for him to move on in general).
JW
AG
don't hate it
fig96
AG
Some recent player movement updates:

Signed a backup keeper with some experience (this likely means our young keeper Damian Las will be getting minutes with Austin FC II). Matt Bersano has been with San Jose the last 5 seasons, also spending some of that time as a pretty regular starter for USL club Reno 1868 FC.

In not so great news, Gabrielsen is returning to his former club to close out his career.

But on the plus side we just announced new centerback signing Leo Vaisanen. Signed from Swedish club IF Elfsborg on a 4 year deal, he's young (25) and has 23 caps for Finland. Seems like a big athletic centerback who's hopefully a solid replacement, though I'd still like to see us sign another starting quality centerback (unless Keller has made a jump).

Ferg
it looks like the games will all be broadcast on AppleTV and non via antenna due to the new agreement.
(4 games will also be on FS1/FOX)

Are you guys going to get the MLS season pass?
JCRiley09
AG
100% will complain about price in February and then love the coverage for the rest of the season
fig96
AG
I believe I get it free as a STH, but if not I'll definitely subscribe. Not sure I'll need ESPN+ till football season though.
Ferg
fig96 said:

I believe I get it free as a STH, but if not I'll definitely subscribe. Not sure I'll need ESPN+ till football season though.
I think i read that STHs will get it also.
fig96
AG
Poche is officially off the books.

AgRyan04
where are yall seeing that about season ticket holders?

(I'm sure it's in one of the zillion emails I get from the club each week thst I don't have the time to read)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ferg
https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/15/apple-signs-10-year-streaming-deal-with-major-league-soccer/

2nd Paragraph.
AgRyan04
Awesome - thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JT88
AG
Very Very sad to see Gabrielsen gone (back home to Lillehammer) as he was nails on the back end. Cascante has to be more careful this year.

How do we feel about his Gabrielsen's likely replacement?
Leo Vaisanen

Vikings on defense and midfield and Central/South American attackers. Seems like a solid strategy...
fig96
AG
Will be interesting to see, he's got experience playing in euro World Cup qualifying and we apparently tried to sign him last year as well.

There's also some rumors we're still trying to sign another centerback so fingers crossed. Training kicks off this week so we'll see the guys in action soon.
fig96
AG
And I'm not the kind of person to hate on a player, but this wouldn't be a bad thing for everyone involved…

JT88
AG
I wish nothing but the best for Rodney, but Austin hasn't been the place for him.
Mike Elko
AG
Reyna "stepping down" as sporting director. Shameful. Adios, mofo.
Ferg
Team announcement on the news AustinAg shared above.

https://www.austinfc.com/news/claudio-reyna-resigns-as-sporting-director-reyna-to-continue-with-austin-fc-as-t
JCRiley09
AG
It's a shame. Dude was awesome at his job and I think this hurts the club long term.
JT88
AG
Am I missing something? Reyna w proven track record( NY, Driussi, etc). This does not seem like a good thing. And Gio absolutely slaying it for Borussia lately seems to further call into question Bethalter's decision-making.
JCRiley09
AG
Ggg definitely deserves a lot of scrutiny. But the way the Reynas handled Gio being benched was insane. Still wish the club had separated the drama from the man and let him keep doing his job
fig96
AG
I agree but I also get it. What they did calls his judgement into question and probably doesn't sit well with a lot of players, not to mention his wife's excuse of "oh we didn't want anything to happen" is total BS. You don't casually mention any sort of domestic abuse charge without knowing the obvious repercussions.

Berhalter is also one of Wolff's mentors which probably doesn't help matters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.