*****Austin FC 2023 Thread*****

13,878 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by AgRyan04
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yuck
DeangeloVickers
AG
Banger for that 3rd goal

Tarek told Keller...hold my beer
Furlock Bones
AG
Absolutely pathetic display by Wolff and company.
Cowboy Curtis
cityagboy
AG
Even with some rotation in the line-up there is no excuse for this
AgRyan04
Jesus. I just got home from work. This is so dismal that I might go back to work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DeangeloVickers
AG
I think the odds were -3333 for Violette to win tonight.
cityagboy
AG
Kipp going in
Furlock Bones
AG
This is 2 terrible losses in 3 to start the season.
Beef Cheek
AG
This feels like a nightmare
Furlock Bones
AG
Of course I did predict we would yo-yo back down to fighting for a playoff spot. (Except 2/3 of the league might be in the playoffs)

Wolff has a ton of work to do to get this team back together.
Mike Elko
AG
Trash effort. Hopefully we show up for the Austin leg.
DeangeloVickers
AG
jeffk
AG
Y'all have shamed the once proud tradition of Texas teams in MLS.
jessexy
AG
That was really fun to watch.
cityagboy
AG
jessexy said:

That was really fun to watch.

Go back to Frisco
fig96
AG
So that was terrible but the overreactions are a bit much. The performance of a lineup of mostly backups with a makeshift backline playing in a foreign country on a Tuesday doesn't have much to do with how our full roster will do during the MLS season.

That said, I think it points out a flaw in Wolff's system in that players really need to understand their roles and how they work together to get things clicking. If they aren't in sync we get results like we saw last night where no one really knows what they're doing and we look totally disconnected.
JT88
AG
Love the Vaisanen move. And Ring and he locked down the back line last game. Not totally ready to give up on Tarek, but man I hope we are looking for quality depth on the back end.
jessexy
AG
There are amateur teams trying to qualify for the US Open Cup that would have been more competitive with Violette FC than Austin was last night. That was embarrassing and the club should be embarrassed. There's a story floating that Violette can't get visas for it's players to get into the USA for the return leg. If they can't, then they'd lose by a 3-0 forfeit. Austin would get the win. But they'd be TIED on the aggregate score and then CONCACAF would figure out what to do.

Austin FC would need a forfeit to be tied with Violette FC just to get to a tiebreaker. funny as hell
fig96
AG
I'm pretty sure that they'd lose the spot due to the forfeit, if they could go through any team that was up 4-0 would just not play the second leg.
fig96
AG
JT88 said:

Love the Vaisanen move. And Ring and he locked down the back line last game. Not totally ready to give up on Tarek, but man I hope we are looking for quality depth on the back end.
Ring was absolute fire in that spot last weekend, it's not an ideal situation but in the interim it's worked exceptionally well so far. And I'm all in on Leo.

Wolff mentioned a week or so back that we were looking to potentially add another CB and after that performance by Tarek we need to be. Rumors are that Seattle is shopping Arreaga who'd be the perfect fit but I don't know that we have enough allocation money to go after him.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2023/2/28/23618762/xavier-arreaga-trade-rumor
cityagboy
AG
Ring needs to stay at CB with Vai until Cascante comes back. Ring doesn't have size but he is never out of position, can help push the offense from the back and won't make many dumb mistakes like Tarek and Kipp.

Maxi
***undez (lol at that being starred out)
Seba
Finley
Dani
Teen Wolff
Gallegher
Ring
Vai
Lima
Stuver

IMO that is the A team, at least right now. Rigoni has more talent but Finley understands the scheme better.
cityagboy
AG
fig96 said:

JT88 said:

Ring was absolute fire in that spot last weekend, it's not an ideal situation but in the interim it's worked exceptionally well so far. And I'm all in on Leo.

Wolff mentioned a week or so back that we were looking to potentially add another CB and after that performance by Tarek we need to be. Rumors are that Seattle is shopping Arreaga who'd be the perfect fit but I don't know that we have enough allocation money to go after him.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2023/2/28/23618762/xavier-arreaga-trade-rumor

Can you trade future allocation money?

I think we have two spots open and one being an international spot if we can't make an MLS trade…. I think….
fig96
AG
You can, the Lundqvist deal was 300k this year and 200k next.

And we have at least one open international spot with Romana out on loan and we also still have the ability to buyout our one contract per season (Redes?).
fig96
AG
Generally agree along with getting Rigoni lots of minutes (it has to click at some point)) and trying some matches with Gallagher on the right and Kolmanic on the left.

Premium Terrace here btw, we're in 317.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sloppy sloppy sloppy. Zardes still doesn't fit. Stuver shaky to start the year. Team is not clicking.
JT88
AG
Gallagher tough as nails. MOTM for sure. Rigoni/Zardes gotta step up.
JCRiley09
AG
3 points on the road
Beef Cheek
AG
JCRiley09 said:

3 points on the road

This.
cityagboy
AG
fig96 said:

Generally agree along with getting Rigoni lots of minutes (it has to click at some point)) and trying some matches with Gallagher on the right and Kolmanic on the left.

Premium Terrace here btw, we're in 317.

Nice we are 313. We are missing the Violette and Colorado games but I'll send you a message!
fig96
AG
I'm just gonna have to post the two bombs from Saturday's match. Damn those were some pretty goals.

8 minutes in Jon Gallagher just takes it himself:

Not to be outdone Owen Wolff says...
fig96
AG
On Zardes, I think he's a bit unfairly maligned by a lot of the fanbase.

Rewatch the game vs Montreal and keep an eye on him. He was involved in most of our promising attacks, tracked back well into midfield to clog passing lanes and create turnovers, and got into several dangerous positions. He wasn't great vs RSL (which is tough to judge as a one off due to altitude) but still almost got on the end of a few, his run on this one is perfect and he likely finishes it if Driussi doesn't cut it off:

Right now I like the balance of him for 60-70 minutes then 20 minutes of Urruti causing chaos, I'd be interested to see how that worked in the reverse as well.
Mike Elko
AG
Utter domination, but still lost the tie. Poop.
Furlock Bones
AG
Embarrassment
fig96
AG
That's frustrating on so many levels, largely that it wasn't for 3 huge mistakes by one player in the first match we leave with at least a draw and comfortably advance.

That said, I don't entirely mind being out this early because we really don't have the depth for multiple competitions right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.