* WC Group B thread (England, Iran, USA, Wales) *

25,430 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BJM1781
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's also the possibility that they address this problem by having shootouts on draws to establish tiebreakers. In which case we would have seen one in both of our matches, and I guess, potentially if we beat both in shootouts we could have already clinched advancement before the England-Wales match.

It's gonna be weird if they go to 3 team groups.
NE PA Ag
JJxvi said:

There's also the possibility that they address this problem by having shootouts on draws to establish tiebreakers. In which case we would have seen one in both of our matches, and I guess, potentially if we beat both in shootouts we could have already clinched advancement before the England-Wales match.

It's gonna be weird if they go to 3 team groups.

If they go to 3 team groups? I thought it was decided; there will be 16 three team groups and the top two in each go to a round of 32 knockout. I personally think this is a bad idea.
Out in Left Field
AG
Such a dumb format change. Teams are only guaranteed two matches? Some teams will play their first game against a team that has already played?

What a **** show
wangus12
AG
It is already decided. They are going to groups of 3 so the group stage will only be 2 games. This keeps the maximum number of games a team can play at 7, same as it is currently. The 3rd group game is dropped and the knockout rounds start with 32 teams
RED AG 98
AG
The 3 team group format sucks as it changes the dynamics of the group stage. Way too much emphasis on the draw and result of the first match. Winning the first match already carries an 70-80% chance of advancing. In the 3 team format I could see this being 10 or 15 points higher. Win the first match and then just camp in the 2nd. I hate it -- at least I do on paper. We'll have to see if that's in fact how it ends up playing...
tysker
AG
In a three team, two game group, i imagine the bad teams will put 10 behind the ball and play for ties, especially against the mid-level teams that rely on stout defense like Switzerland, Poland, Iceland, etc.
caleblyn
12 groups of 4
Top 2 advance
The next 8 teams with most goals scored advance.
32 team knockout
One extra match for the final 4 teams.
JJxvi
AG
Out in Left Field said:

Such a dumb format change. Teams are only guaranteed two matches? Some teams will play their first game against a team that has already played?

What a **** show
The extra 16 ****ty teams (in a theoretical sense) that dont even make the tournament now will only play two matches. The "top" 32 teams will still play 3 games just like 32 do teams now... the last one is a knockout game instead of a third group game.
nereus
AG
How important will teams view winning their group in the new format? If they keep the ties, a tie between the top teams in the group means it would comes down to goal differential against the worst team to determine if you win the group. That could be very ugly for that team.
OregonAggie
AG
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/three-hosts-48-teams-how-the-2026-world-cup-will-work-united
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Don't we have enough to complain about with the current World Cup, without having to resort to already complaining about the next World Cup?
OregonAggie
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Don't we have enough to complain about with the current World Cup, without having to resort to already complaining about the next World Cup?

WE NEVER HAVE ENOUGH
wangus12
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/01/world-cup-organisers-consider-ditching-three-team-group-format-for-2026
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

BJM1781
AG
Respect for Jack there. I hate City, but he seems like a decent dude.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.