* WC Group B thread (England, Iran, USA, Wales) *

25,456 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BJM1781
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MookieBlaylock said:

Why don't we just win the group?

Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Why don't we just win the group?

OhLongJohnson
AG
Wales has a realistic chance of beating England, it'll be the third group game and England likely to be assured of 1st place seeding. I see them resting the starters and playing their bench. Wales will be playing for their lives and could leave the group with 4 points.
Rudyjax
AG
birdman said:

I forgot they changed the scoring. Leave my silly post up there unedited. It won't bother me too much.

Youth tournaments it's 3 for a win. 1 for a tie. 1 point for every goal up to 3 points. 1 point for a shut out.

So a 3 nil win is 10.
1 nil is 5.
A 0-0 tie is 2.

A 3-3 tie is 4.
Etc.
Rudyjax
AG
OhLongJohnson said:

Wales has a realistic chance of beating England, it'll be the third group game and England likely to be assured of 1st place seeding. I see them resting the starters and playing their bench. Wales will be playing for their lives and could leave the group with 4 points.

Assuming England wins today. C'mon bruh.give us a shot.
Agthatbuilds
After today, England is gonna be tied for 2nd in the group with Iran
akm91
AG
I'm assuming Hennessey will be serving a 1 game suspension for the red card right? So they'll be playing their backup keeper.

Even if England rested their starters from starting lineup against Iran, here's what they'll be chosing from:
GK: Ramsdale/Pope
Defenders: TAA, Eric Dier, Kyle Walker (not sure he's healthy yet), Ben White, Connor Coady (Don't see a LB)
MF: Conor Gallagher, Henderson, Phillips (not sure he's healthy yet)
Attackers: Graelish, Foden, Rashford, Wilson

Still would be challenging for Wales to get a win against England. Surprisingly they've only played 6 times since 2000 with England winning all 6 times, most recently 3-0 in a friendly in 2020.
Gordo14
I know Iran looked good, but if you told me we just (basically) had to beat Iran to advance, I would have taken that no questions asked before the tournament. Not that Iran is bad, but it's the World Cup. There are few bad teams.
KCup17
AG
That's the point. We don't deserve to automatically progress to KO's. At this point in GGG's tenure, when we play non-concacaf opponents that are good we fall flat on our face.
RebAg13
AG
England isn't laying down for a rival in whales.
We are the Aggies, The Aggies are We
EllisCoAg
AG
Iran is going to park the bus and be playing for a tie
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
KCup17 said:

That's the point. We don't deserve to automatically progress to KO's. At this point in GGG's tenure, when we play non-concacaf opponents that are good we fall flat on our face.

The two teams we lost to in September appear to be pretty damn good.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
RebAg13
AG
Not after we beat England
stillmerk
AG
Exactly. England 2nd string is still stacked and gonna be fresh and wanting to impress to get into the starting 11.
KCup17
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

KCup17 said:

The two teams we lost to in September appear to be pretty damn good.

We only lost once…

But that isn't the point. The point is we do not play tough competition in Concacaf, we already struggle to beat those opponents away from home and on top of that the last team we scored on that qualified for the WC was Morocco. So it is fair to say we underperform when playing quality opposition.
Fairview20
AG
Yeah England's second team attack is Rashford, Grealish, and Callum Wilson. Not too much of a drop off…
PJYoung
AG
So I watched the first half of Iran/Wales via the key plays feature on YTTV and stopped it to watch in real-time just before the post/post/straight to keeper sequence.

What a match!!! I'm kind of glad Iran got the 2nd one on the off chance that Wales somehow beats England. Iran is easy to root for - a sentence I never thought I would utter.

Let's beat England today and if we can't let's tie or lose by 1.
aggiephoenix02
PJYoung said:

Let's beat England today and if we can't let's tie or lose by 1.
Im on board with this plan…
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
KCup17
AG
Death before embarrassment
AggieJ2002
AG
Netherlands is beatable ... IF we get 2nd in our group I sure hope they win Group A. I'd love to take 1st in our group though
LB12Diamond
AG
what did the player do to get the red card?
gougler08
AG
LB12Diamond said:

what did the player do to get the red card?

Kneed the player in the face as the last defender…could have been red in 2 ways
PatAg
AG
Not even sure how I expect ourselves or Iran to play, I would imagine Iran is potentially looking to counter us like they did Wales? Just a lot of speed and pressure all over the field
Gordo14
PatAg said:

Not even sure how I expect ourselves or Iran to play, I would imagine Iran is potentially looking to counter us like they did Wales? Just a lot of speed and pressure all over the field

Iran probably only needs a draw to advance now, so I doubt they will take a ton of chances until they have to.
oragator
If wales wins, Iran is the odd man out in a draw scenario, Wales and England advance, barring a massively lopsided Wales win.
Not sure Iran can play too conservatively given that scenario and the upsets that have happened thus far.
PatAg
AG
Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

Iran probably only needs a draw to advance now, so I doubt they will take a ton of chances until they have to.
I think if they truly try to sit back, then that plays in our favor.
We have generally struggled when teams press us hard like Iran did Wales.
I do get your point, and I think its very possible they do that. Since the presses can leaev you very vulnerable if it gets broken.
gougler08
AG
oragator said:

If wales wins, Iran is the odd man out in a draw scenario, Wales and England advance, barring a massively lopsided Wales win.
Not sure Iran can play too conservatively given that scenario and the upsets that have happened thus far.

They can also win the group with just a draw in the other game so they'll have reason to not completely bunker
PatAg
AG
Tuesday is an enternity away
Gordo14
PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

I think if they truly try to sit back, then that plays in our favor.
We have generally struggled when teams press us hard like Iran did Wales.
I do get your point, and I think its very possible they do that. Since the presses can leaev you very vulnerable if it gets broken.

We've shown absolutely no capability to breakdown a low block... And they know we have to score to win.
akm91
AG
I suspect we'll see an attacking starting XI against Iran. Wonder how much Dest, McKennie and Adams have left in the tank.
RebAg13
AG
I want Gio Tuesday to start
Rudyjax
AG
This is an interesting post about English/ Americans…

MookieBlaylock
AG
What English Americans? Damn click bait
JJxvi
AG
Alex Mighten has declared for the US?
TRM
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.