***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

51,485 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Aaronson was the only good sub.
I don't know man. I love him, but I don't think he played well either.

Or at least, I've definitely seen him play way better.
Aggies1322
AG
tysker said:

Aggies1322 said:

You have to fire Gregg if we don't get out of the group.. the guy is a liability every match as our manager. Please bring in another non-American that has no ties to the MLS and prefers players overseas. Please.

Who do you choose?
This line of argument is passe. But hey, Klinsman may be your guy

Well, Klinsmann did get us out of a WC Group that had Ghana, Portugal, and Germany.. I would go pay a proven manager that is tactically sound that can pick the most talented players from a pool. I would pay them whatever they wanted.
tysker
AG
Arriola and Pepi must be pissed with the Morris and Wright performances
PatAg
AG
Going to be a long wait til Friday
PatAg
AG
I will say this, myself and others are harping on Gregg, but the players did fade in the 2nd half as well.
La Bamba
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Careful. Talk like that will get you yelled at by the Soccer board overlord…
Rudyjax
AG
Ggg needs to go regardless.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

What sub played better than him?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I'd love if any of the media can get a clear answer out of Greeeg on why he didn't play Reyna.....still dont get that, unless he's still hurt, just flat outsmarting oneself.
Aggies1322
AG
Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

Aggies1322 said:

You have to fire Gregg if we don't get out of the group.. the guy is a liability every match as our manager. Please bring in another non-American that has no ties to the MLS and prefers players overseas. Please.

Who do you choose?
This line of argument is passe. But hey, Klinsman may be your guy

Well, Klinsmann did get us out of a WC Group that had Ghana, Portugal, and Germany.. I would go pay a proven manager that is tactically sound that can pick the most talented players from a pool. I would pay them whatever they wanted.

A direct answer - Ancelotti or someone of the likes.
The Shank Ag
MookieBlaylock said:

This team can't park the bus
Attack is their strength and they need to do it for 90+

Maybe, England is one to give up some goals. But when you are poor defensively, they can still easily put up 5 or more. Winning in a shootout isn't a scenario I'd want to be in.

1-1-4-4

Let Weah stay up top, Pulisic right behind.

Bring Sargent in 65th-70th min

deadbq03
AG
I'll say this in praise of Josh Sargent.

Look. We know our 9's can't score consistently. None of em. They've all had flashes of excellence, and all been woeful.

But at least Sargent knows how to press and has a strong motor, and hold up the ball and set others up. Our scoring play doesn't happen without him - and I think we were lacking his presence big time after he subbed out.

I'd still rather see us try a false 9, but if ggg is hell-bent on playing a proper 9, I hope we stick with him.
Furlock Bones
AG
Don't be fooled. This was an easily winnable game. Was it a surprise? No. Because GGGs road record speaks for itself. Can we still go on and do well in this tournament? Yes. But I don't have a lot of faith. This is the same ggg team we have seen time and time again.
AgGrad99
AG
Im surprised people are down on Aaronson. I thought he was one of the few players out there winning challenges the second half. I thought he played well, and had some good passes. Once he came in, the ball instantly started getting forward quicker.

deadbq03
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

What sub played better than him?
None of them. But you didn't say "best sub" you said "good sub." All the subs sucked, he just sucked less.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Look. We know our 9's can't score consistently. None of em. They've all had flashes of excellence, and all been woeful.

But at least Sargent knows how to press and has a strong motor, and hold up the ball and set others up. Our scoring play doesn't happen without him - and I think we were lacking his presence big time after he subbed out.

I'd still rather see us try a false 9, but if ggg is hell-bent on playing a proper 9, I hope we stick with him.

He's been scoring and he had a heck of a shot today. He'll score with service.

I've done my defending of Sargent for the day.
Dre_00
Gordo14 said:

La Bamba said:

Gordo14 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

It really sucks that Wales gets England last. We really need a result now against England, otherwise England has nothing to play for on the last matchday and we need to advance in a GD scenario.

That's not true. They'll want to rip the group.

If they're sitting on 6, and Wales on 4, to they'll need to tie.

England would already be through, just if they finish 1st or 2nd in the group at that point. Group A isn't strong enough that I would care which place I finished in - I'd care more about keeping my top players fit.

It's England Wales. You're crazy if you think they'll wanna "rest" starters.

I think they care more about the tournament. I also don't expect England to lose, I just think they'll take a draw or a one goal win. That might be enough at this point for Wales to advance over us if we don't get a result against England.

England will ABSOLUTELY want to avoid the Netherlands in the round of 16. Not saying they are scared of them or that they can't beat them. But they definitely don't want to play them. Plus winning Group B means you can't meet Argentina or Brazil until the final (assuming both teams win their group as expected).

If Wales beats Iran, England can't clinch the group in 2 games and they will absolutely go all out in the final game if they haven't clinched by then.
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I would agree that he didn't come in and dominate, but I think he played well. Won quite a few 50/50s in midfield, and was effective in turning players and getting forward.

I think I dont really understand the Hadji sub at all, because he didnt even really seem to make a difference on set pieces. He definitely didnt press at all, or effectively, which we needed. And I feel like we already knew he wasnt great at pressing.
Yedlin and Morris were not effective either, but not bad. They are who they are.
Acosta should probably only see the field in place of Adams the rest of this tournament, he just doesnt have the skillset to play elsewhere at this level
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

I think I dont really understand the Hadji sub at all
He really was a waste out there. Very tentative, which was the complete opposite of what we needed.
PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

deadbq03 said:

Would be interesting to see if Sargent puts one in if we have someone other than Pulisic taking set pieces.
We wasted something 7 chances that just never had a shot the moment he kicked it.
Gordo14
They don't even need a win the game to top the group (assuming England and Wales win Friday). My point is that is terrible in a GD scenario. I'd say we are probably at 33% to advance at this point because of that.
KCup17
AG
Well when we don't lose the opening game we have advanced ~60% of the time. However that felt like a loss. Took GGG too long to bring off McKennie and Dest.
PatAg
AG
Will be interesting to see what changes we make, who is healthy to start and who isnt.
Do we think England will try to get on the ball a lot, or will they just look to press us high (which we have mightily struggled at)
Furlock Bones
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

deadbq03 said:

Well GGG put Acosta on the squad presumably for late game set pieces. He sub'd him on only to have us watch CP10 scattergun the corners. Mind bottling.
Dre_00
No but they'll need a result. Sure there will likely be some rotation in the last group game but Southgate is definitely not sandbagging the last game if first is on the line.
arnie
AG
Completely agree. I really want to see us try Aaronson in the false 9 at some point. I think he could do well playing a role similar to Firmino at Liverpool where his main role is to press and drop deeper in build up. At the very least it'd help us control games against lesser teams. Our current striker options offer so little at a level this high.
AgGrad99
AG
Let's just go spank England and put a wrench into everything!
AustinScubaAg
AG
Honestly there are big things and little things that a manager can do to help his team. The fact he gets the little things wrong like having Pulisic take corners and free kicks is a joke. He is not good at set pieces and has never been.

Wales also did what any smart team does against Pulisic knock him hard a few times and he drifts wide and is no longer a factor. I want to Aaronson or Reyna in the middle with Pulisic on the wing.
Dre_00
deadbq03 said:

I loathe the false 9 but otherwise I agree. The Wright sub...seemed like Gregg wanted to see if his big center forward could turn the game around like Wales' did. Turns out...not so much.
texagbeliever
I can get why he didn't want to sub off Mckinnie. Aaronson never popped up at RB or CB covering for another player. He was never out wide and short to help the buildup. Id bet Adams sits back more knowing he doesn't have that additional defensive support.

Acosta can do more of the defensive work but just is a weak link on the attack.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Dre_00 said:

deadbq03 said:

I loathe the false 9 but otherwise I agree. The Wright sub...seemed like Gregg wanted to see if his big center forward could turn the game around like Wales' did. Turns out...not so much.
He sure played small for a "big" center forward.
texagbeliever
I think we should have brought on a CB for Sargent. It was clear Moore was occupying one CB and dragging a guy out of possession sometimes 2 guys. That 3rd CB also calms down the other 2 guys as they aren't as worried about leaving space, so less likely to dive in stupidly.

Added benefit of another tall head for set pieces which were more dicey without Mckinnie to defend.
oh no
AG
feels like a loss for USA and a cheap point for Wales because of the forthcoming schedule alignment with GD implications to advance.

Wales played their strategy perfectly and were just lucky to get a PEN. Now, Wales can beat Iran to a +1 or a +2 GD while we try to minimize damage vs England . Match day 3 will face England with no pressure, Wales with minimal pressure, Iran with nothing to lose but the joy of eliminating USA and USA with the pressure of having to beat Iran by 3, 4, 5?

an unlikely draw or result vs England changes everything. Let's go USA.
KCup17
AG
McKennie was obviously struggling from about 60 mins on and on top of that was not adding anything in attack or defense. Additionally, I felt that Acosta did well moving forward today. CP, other than his assist, took a few to many touches at times and slowed down the attack.
La Bamba
AG
Is there a chance in hell we can at least tie with the English? The firepower on that squad is impressive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.