***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

51,538 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I think the foul on Zimmerman gets called everytime but I don't see it the way everyone else seems to see it. I see Zimmerman could directly for the ball and Bale coming across throwing his leg over Zimmerman. Still gets called but that is a smart play that there isn't really anything that Zimmerman can do.
Could have not lunged for the ball in the box, which is just asking for a penalty
AgGrad99
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

AgGrad99 said:

We can't sit back and defend after a lead. We're not built like that. We need to keep pressing, need to keep posession.
We didn't. Wales went from bunkering and hoping for a counter to playing direct.

And we sat back and defended.

We were very reactionary instead of proactive the second half. This isnt the first time we've done this. I said it at halftime, but we tend to be jeckyl & hyde between halves of the same game. We dictated the pace the first half...and let Wales dictate it the second.
aggiebird02
aggiephoenix02 said:

USA 1 Wales 1
Bump…
PatAg
AG
tysker said:

PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

Haji and Aaronson dont play in the MLS

List the others...

Dest couldn't go anymore and Yedlin is clearly our 2nd best option at rb. It's just the reality.
Scally is the 2nd best
Gregg has it in his head that Yedlin has 'experience' and offers better coverage defensively

You think Scally was the better choice over Yedlin? In this game, at that time?
I dont think Yedlin is very good, but I expected to see him because I know Gregg rates him.
La Bamba
AG
Gordo14 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

It really sucks that Wales gets England last. We really need a result now against England, otherwise England has nothing to play for on the last matchday and we need to advance in a GD scenario.

That's not true. They'll want to rip the group.

If they're sitting on 6, and Wales on 4, to they'll need to tie.

England would already be through, just if they finish 1st or 2nd in the group at that point. Group A isn't strong enough that I would care which place I finished in - I'd care more about keeping my top players fit.

It's England Wales. You're crazy if you think they'll wanna "rest" starters.
BQ_90
AG
this match reminded me of watching Aggie soccer, stupid penalty that cost you a goal
PatAg
AG
Bubblez said:

This was a complete utter disaster. Zimmerman should be sent home for that crap. England already will be through to the 2nd round when playing their final game against Wales, resting whomever they want. Iran of course won't lay down so easily.
a disaster would be losing that game
Its disappointing to tie, because we had the lead and dominated the 1st half
swc93
AG
La Bamba said:

So moving forward you kinda expect both of these teams can take care of Iran and prolly lose to England. Goal differential will be the difference in advancing.

Watch us tie on GD and advancement goes to cards; Wales should have picked up one at the end with that tackle from behind and Accosta picked up one to bail out our goalie.
tysker
AG
Aggies1322 said:

You have to fire Gregg if we don't get out of the group.. the guy is a liability every match as our manager. Please bring in another non-American that has no ties to the MLS and prefers players overseas. Please.

Who do you choose?
This line of argument is passe. But hey, Klinsman may be your guy
texagbeliever
PatAg said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

I think the foul on Zimmerman gets called everytime but I don't see it the way everyone else seems to see it. I see Zimmerman could directly for the ball and Bale coming across throwing his leg over Zimmerman. Still gets called but that is a smart play that there isn't really anything that Zimmerman can do.
Could have not lunged for the ball in the box, which is just asking for a penalty

A thousand times this. They have no skill players (Ramsey and bale are too old). They aren't going to pass it around the box through you like Arsenal or Man City.
deadbq03
AG
Bubblez said:

This was a complete utter disaster. Zimmerman should be sent home for that crap. England already will be through to the 2nd round when playing their final game against Wales, resting whomever they want. Iran of course won't lay down so easily.
Yeah the scheduling sucks bad when it's likely to come down to goal difference.

We're gonna have to hope for a miracle draw on Friday which then flips the script and makes England rage against Wales.
akm91
AG
PatAg said:

Boiling Denim said:

Midfield play today was pretty atrocious. Poor first touch passing, poor first touches. Not gonna give us a lot of opportunities to score

Pulisic will escape most criticism because of the assist but good lord he was really inefficient today. A lot of poor balls
He was good in the 1st half, and then he was the Pulisic we have seen in qualifying. He doesnt get the ball off his feet quickly enough.
Now, its possible that the other players arent getting forward to support him when he has the ball, the camera often just zooms in on Pulisic when he has it.
Not sure why Pulisic didn't play more inside and stayed outside in the 2nd half. That was a big problem on a gaping hole in the middle of the attacking 3rd.

It appeared Dest was staying home in the 1st half, allowing Robinson to bomb forward providing width on the left hand side. That allow Pulisic to roam inside and really cause issues for Wales.

Don't know why we pushed Yedlin up the pitch as he's just not really an asset in the attacking 3rd.
Dre_00
I'm still processing that game but one thing that's really weird to me is that the US looked a lot more comfortable with the ball than without the ball. Wales weirdly ceded possession (which I get to a degree but c'mon...have you seen us play before?) and while we didn't create a ton of chances we looked extremely comfortable and threatening.

And then we scored, Wales came on of their shell and we forgot what to do. Moore changed the came but our midfield just got frantic and hurried. And my god can we please stop playing every transition play wide? Every freaking time in transition, put it wide and put in a hopeful cross. Yes that's what Wales was giving you but there's a reason why Wales was giving that to you. You can't abandon the middle just because a team doesn't you to play through the middle. And it's telling that our goal came not from wide but...from the middle.

Frustrating because 3 points would have put us in an extremely strong position. It's still very doable but man...
Gordo14
La Bamba said:

Gordo14 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

It really sucks that Wales gets England last. We really need a result now against England, otherwise England has nothing to play for on the last matchday and we need to advance in a GD scenario.

England would already be through, just if they finish 1st or 2nd in the group at that point. Group A isn't strong enough that I would care which place I finished in - I'd care more about keeping my top players fit.

I think they care more about the tournament. I also don't expect England to lose, I just think they'll take a draw or a one goal win. That might be enough at this point for Wales to advance over us if we don't get a result against England.
gambochaman
AG
La Bamba said:

Gordo14 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

They absolutely will if thats the case

A grudge regional match when you are top of the group means nothing in the bigger scheme
deadbq03
AG
Yeah and England-Wales is a lot like A&M-Tceh used to be… only really matters to one side.
PatAg
AG
I don't get leaving Reyna on the bench.
I think it has been proven time and time again that Acosta can sub in for Adams directly, but he doesnt have the skill set to play as one of the 8s against quality opponents.

Going into the game I think we all would have taken a tie, but the win was there for the taking so its frustrating
La Bamba
AG
Gordo14 said:

La Bamba said:

Gordo14 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

I think they care more about the tournament. I also don't expect England to lose, I just think they'll take a draw or a one goal win. That might be enough at this point for Wales to advance over us if we don't get a result against England.

True, but I also feel like ENG's firepower is just insane. They're backups are Man city starters. After watching todays game I'm not looking forward to Friday.
texagbeliever
akm91 said:

PatAg said:

Boiling Denim said:

Midfield play today was pretty atrocious. Poor first touch passing, poor first touches. Not gonna give us a lot of opportunities to score

Pulisic will escape most criticism because of the assist but good lord he was really inefficient today. A lot of poor balls
He was good in the 1st half, and then he was the Pulisic we have seen in qualifying. He doesnt get the ball off his feet quickly enough.
Now, its possible that the other players arent getting forward to support him when he has the ball, the camera often just zooms in on Pulisic when he has it.
Not sure why Pulisic didn't play more inside and stayed outside in the 2nd half. That was a big problem on a gaping hole in the middle of the attacking 3rd.

It appeared Dest was staying home in the 1st half, allowing Robinson to bomb forward providing width on the left hand side. That allow Pulisic to roam inside and really cause issues for Wales.

Don't know why we pushed Yedlin up the pitch as he's just not really an asset in the attacking 3rd.

I think pulisic is a guy that a team can hit 4-5 times and he moves out of the middle or at least stops trying to take people on.

Dest was up and really taking up Weah's space a little too much early on. I think Robinson is just always bombing forward because he has all day energy and is extremely fast.
FTAG 2000
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

That foul at that point on the field gets called every time.

It was stupid.

Zimm is there as the vet to hold together the d and NOT do stupid **** like that. He had one job…
Juan Solo
AG
Need to draw vs England, if it's a loss vs England and assuming wales beats Iran, England and Wales could play conservatively to not risk cards and injuries into a 0-0 draw
PatAg
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

That foul at that point on the field gets called every time.

It was stupid.

Zimm is there as the vet to hold together the d and NOT do stupid **** like that. He had one job…
He played a very good game beside that poitn as well, but at the World Cup its often that momeny
We are all focusing on Zimmerman, but Acosta (and someone else) got caught sleeping on the quick throw in that led to the chance too
You are the sub with fresh legs, you cant let that happen

for context, I have always supported acosta and I think he earned his spot on this team. You just have to play him a certain way
oragator
If we tie England they can't clinch. So we have two reasons to get a result.
MookieBlaylock
AG
oragator said:

Terrible foul on the Pk, GB had his back to the goal and WZ had help.
But to be back on my soap box …back to goal, almost 18 full yards away, and a foul apparently warrants an 80 percent chance at a goal in a game where they had 1 shot on goal in 80 minutes to that point I think.
It's a terrible rule in a game where goals are at such a premium, will preach that for forever.

To the larger picture, a tie wasn't the worst result, but that was a very winnable game. Feels like a loss.

Let's go get England.

Penalty box is way too big and should implement Gaelic Football rules where Pks are 13 metres and in
LouisHerbertWong
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

USA 1 Wales 1
Bump…

You're such a ******, dude. Seriously.
The Shank Ag
Park the bus against England, try to get out with a draw and hope they beat Wales.

If they lose to England, attack attack attack against Iran and hopefully put up a bunch of goals to get the goal differential swung in your favor... and pray England doesn't rest everybody against Wales
AustinScubaAg
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

He really played Morris and Haji Wright in this game, right? I actually saw that?
He got 5 subs 3 were Ok (Dest, Musah, and McKinney for Yedlin, Acosta and Aaronson) but neither Acosta or Yedlin played well. Morris and Wright made no sense. I assume De la torre may still be hurt but why exclude Reyna.

This was a case where ggg made poor subs but also poor squad selection (Pefok for instance is a more physical striker than Wright, Ferreira, or Sargent which was needed). De La Torre and Reyna are both better than Morris by miles if he was concerned about their health why bring them (Honestly I might even take Arriola over Morris )
MookieBlaylock
AG
This team can't park the bus
Attack is their strength and they need to do it for 90+

deadbq03
AG
Good point by Landon here in the postgame that I hadn't heard before (admittedly I don't pay attention well)… Steffin was kept off the squad so Turner could have confidence and not worry that someone was breathing down his neck. Not sure I agree, but I can see some merit to that logic.
Rudyjax
AG
Aaronson was the only good sub.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't feel great about that one. Could have been worse, could have been better. The lack of shots on goal, or real scoring chances is troubling. JiHaji Wright was a waste of a sub. Need a hustle guy to put pressure on their cb's and Wright was walking around. Would have rather seen Gio or Jesus come in at that point. Or, leave Sarge in. He had gas left in the tank.
We got a little shaky at the back in the last 30. Don't like that. At least ggg didn't sub in Aaron.
Let's go get the limeys!
akm91
AG
I'm not sure that's the case because I saw Yedlin way up field combining with Weah and Robinson didn't push forward as much.

We definitely lost the midfield advantage once McKennie and Musah subbed out.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
tysker said:

Aggies1322 said:

You have to fire Gregg if we don't get out of the group.. the guy is a liability every match as our manager. Please bring in another non-American that has no ties to the MLS and prefers players overseas. Please.

Who do you choose?
This line of argument is passe. But hey, Klinsman may be your guy
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Aaronson was the only good sub.
I think he identified the right players to take off, but we needed to bring on different subs and also change our shape. The whole 1st half we were winning every 2nd ball, and the 2nd half none of them.
Berhalter's choices in both regards were one of my big concerns coming into this, and I am not really feeling alleviated
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

I'm not sure that's the case because I saw Yedlin way up field combining with Weah and Robinson didn't push forward as much.

We definitely lost the midfield advantage once McKennie and Musah subbed out.
I would argue that we had already lost it when they subbed out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.