***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

51,607 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Start A-A-Ron and have him run around the Welsh backline for 55-60 minutes letting Jesus drift back and play balls to CP and Gio on the run. Then bring in Weah and Sargent for Jesus and Aaronson and force the Welsh defense even further on their heals after they are already tired
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Start A-A-Ron and have him run around the Welsh backline for 55-60 minutes letting Jesus drift back and play balls to CP and Gio on the run. Then bring in Weah and Sargent for Jesus and Aaronson and force the Welsh defense even further on their heals after they are already tired
I like this, but would prefer to see Gio come in fresh.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
gougler08 said:

jeffk said:

Y'all should make it a goal to, by the end of the tournament, stop getting pulled offside by "leaked" rosters and lineups.
Just means everyone can get mad when Long starts in the official one

That was my rough draft outrage. I am preparing for the final copy to be released.
tysker
AG
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Official?
moneyag7
jeffk said:

I think this is the best option. You bring Aaronson and Reyna on for a spark. Also gives you the chance to start a fresh Aaronson against an England squad he'll be familiar going up against
Rudyjax
AG
  • USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (53), Tim Ream (47), Weston McKennie (38), Walker Zimmerman (34), Tyler Adams (33), Antonee Robinson (30), Tim Weah (25), Matt Turner (21), Josh Sargent (21), Sergiño Dest (20), Yunus Musah (20).
  • Today's Starting XI has an average age of 25 years, 102 days. It is the fourth-youngest USMNT lineup at a FIFA World Cup, behind only the three lineups at Italia '90 where the XIs averaged just over 24 years old.
  • The lineup averages 30 caps overall and 16 in official competition.
  • All 11 players will make their FIFA World Cup debut.
  • At 19 years, 358 days, Yunus Musah becomes the youngest player to start a World Cup match for the USMNT.
Youngest USMNT Players to Start a World Cup Match
Players
Yunus Musah
19 years, 358 days
Nov. 21, 2022 vs. Wales
DaMarcus Beasley
20 years, 12 days
June 5, 2002 vs. Portugal
Landon Donovan
20 years, 95 days
June 5, 2002 vs. Portugal
Jozy Altidore
20 years, 219 days
June 12, 2010 vs. England
Bert Patenaude
20 years, 252 days
July 13, 1930 vs. Belgium

• Musah made his USMNT debut as a 17-year-old against Wales on Nov. 12, 2020. Five other starters also appeared in that match: Tyler Adams, Sergiño Dest, Weston McKennie, Antonee Robinson and Tim Weah.
  • Musah (Valencia) is also the first player from a Spanish Primera club to play for the USA in a FIFA World Cup.
  • Tyler Adams was elected by the USMNT as the team captain for the 2022 FIFA World Cup and will wear the armband for the 10th time tonight. At 23 years, 279 days, Adams is the youngest player to captain the USA at a FIFA World Cup since 1950 and third youngest overall.

Youngest Players to Captain the USMNT in a World Cup Match
Player
Harry Keough
22 years, 222 days
June 25, 1950 vs. Spain
Walter Bahr
23 years, 92 days
July 2, 1950 vs. Chile
Tyler Adams
23 years, 279 days
November 21, 2022 vs. Wales
Mike Windischmann
24 years, 86 days
June 10, 1990 vs. Czechoslovakia
Tony Meola
25 years, 117 days
June 18, 1994 vs. Switzerland

• Ten of 11 starters represent clubs in Europe the highest number ever for a USMNT World Cup lineup. Six players feature in England, two in Italy, and one each in France and Spain. Walker Zimmerman is the lone starter from Major League Soccer.
  • Matt Turner (Park Ridge, N.J.) becomes the fourth New Jersey-born goalkeeper to start a World Cup match for the USMNT. He follows Jimmy Douglas (East Newark, N.J.; 3 matches in 1930), Tony Meola (Belleville, N.J.; 7 matches in 1990, 1994) and Tim Howard (North Brunswick, N.J.; 8 matches in 2010, 2014).
  • Both the sons of U.S. servicemen, defender Sergiño Dest (AC Milan) and midfielder Weston McKennie (Juventus) are the second and third players based in Italy's Serie A to start for the USA in a World Cup match. Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan) was the first to do it when he played two matches for the USA at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
  • Tim Weah will become the first member of his family to appear in the FIFA World Cup. The 22-year-old forward is the son of 1995 Balon d'Or winner and current President of Liberia, George Weah.
  • Striker Josh Sargent earns his first start since the qualifier on Sept. 8, 2021 at Honduras.
  • Veteran defender and Fulham captain Tim Ream earns his first USMNT appearance since Sept. 2, 2021 at El Salvador.
  • The Fulham duo of Ream and Antonee Robinson are the third pair of foreign-based club teammates to start a World Cup match together for the USMNT. Previously, Chad Deering and Claudio Reyna (Wolfsburg) started together against Germany at the 1998 World Cup, before another Fulham duo -- Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride -- were in the lineup together against Italy and Ghana at the 2006 edition.
  • The USMNT will dress 26 players for today's game. Six substitutions are allowed in three different moments. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment.
  • The USMNT is 1-0-1 all-time against Wales. The USA defeated the Red Dragons 2-0 in a friendly on May 26, 2003 in San Jose, Calif. and played to a 0-0 draw on Nov. 12, 2020 in Swansea, Wales.
  • Gregg Berhalter officially becomes the first person to both play and manage the USA at a FIFA World Cup. Berhalter appeared in both Knockout Round matches against Mexico and Germany at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea/Japan.
  • Berhalter is 36-10-10 in 56 matches as USMNT head coach.
  • Abdulrahman Al Jassim of Qatar is the referee for tonight's match. He previously officiated the USA's 1-0 win against Panama in the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage on June 26, 2019 in Kansas City.
oh no
AG
I like it. Ream over Long or CCV at LCB.

Sargent over Jesus
oh no
AG
let's go. Bombs away. USA.
oh no
AG
Aaronson, Gio, available as scoring subs when/if needed.
Rudyjax
AG
I like this line up.

And brining in Aaronson and Gio late to will create issues for Wales.
jeffk
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Official?

I hope so! That's our USMNT account!
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Official?

I hope so! That's our USMNT account!
Rudyjax
AG
I have FotMob alerts on all the USMNT players. I don't follow a team, just our players.

Any how, FotMob just blew up my phone with the players starting and on the bench.
snowdog90
Good lineup. Weah is key. He will cause problems for Wales.
Kampfers
AG
moneyag7 said:

jeffk said:

I think this is the best option. You bring Aaronson and Reyna on for a spark. Also gives you the chance to start a fresh Aaronson against an England squad he'll be familiar going up against
TBH I'd rather start Aaronson in a game like today or vs Iran than England. He is such a pressing machine, and I feel like that suits a more balanced game than one against England where we will likely spend a lot of time dropping deep.
Rudyjax
AG
I like him and gio to come in late and create havoc against tired legs.
Gordo14

ptothemo
AG

Really interested to see what this formation looks like. No out and out striker.
La Bamba
AG
LFG!
KCup17
AG
We named a really strong squad. Love BA and Gio off the bench too. I'm pumped!!
Gordo14

akm91
AG
I guess Joe Alllen is still not 100% as he normally would partner with Ramsey in the midfield.

Think they'll play with Bale as a false 9 and hope to spring James in behind by having Bale drop in and playing to his feet.
AG@RICE
AG
Musah about to explode
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I like it. A couple of other good options, but ggg didn't ggg it up, and that is nice.
akm91
AG
It's a very young starting XI with 0 WC appearances and averages 24.8 years old.
  • Attackers: 22.7 years old avg
  • MF: 22.0 years old avg
  • Defenders: 27.8 years old avg

Granted that Wales also has 0 WC appearances on their roster so that's a moot point.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wtf are they wearing ? Making 1994 look great
Silvertaps
AG
The team listen to some Grateful Dead before taking the field?
EllisCoAg
AG
At the AO watch in Ft Worth

Let's Go!!!!
snowdog90
What a day!! USA in the World Cup. There have been 25 such days in the the last 32 years. Let's hope our boys make the most of it.
deadbq03
AG
Lol. Fox flipped our FBs in that expensive 3D lineup. You had one job.
birdman
I love that Weah is starting.
La Bamba
AG
Are we wearing an Andy Warhol painting? Gosh those unis…
MookieBlaylock
AG
Christian Bale too lazy to get his hair lined up proper

Good sign

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.