*USMNT player and transfer news*

618,623 Views | 5980 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Rudyjax
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston94 said:

I'm fine with Ream, Roldan seems like a wasted roster spot to me.

Musah, Luna, Tessman were all better options to me than Roldan. But otherwise I think he got it right.

agreed, especially on Tessman. I'm shocked he was left out.

It really is amazing that last WC we were left with a good taste thinking these guys had a pretty good showing considering the youth and that they were destined to be a powerhouse in 26. Fast forward 4 years with way more age and experience, a seemingly sure thing upgrade at manager.....and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get out of the group. Cue Taylor Twellman...

Vessel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4 years ago, if you told me Musah wasn't going to be at this WC, I'd have thought we gained 2-3 midfield prodigies. Instead we still have Roldan...

Not to say the midfield is awful, but certainly speaks to lack of Musah's development. So much for the MMA midfield...
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's definitely a lack of evolution in the player pool that I think most of us expected in this cycle.

I also don't think anyone has mentioned maybe the weirdest inclusion on the roster, I had to look up who Chris Brady was.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

There's definitely a lack of evolution in the player pool that I think most of us expected in this cycle.

I also don't think anyone has mentioned maybe the weirdest inclusion on the roster, I had to look up who Chris Brady was.


Hmmm.

I am shocked that there isn't a young superstar on the team.
Vessel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fig96 said:

There's definitely a lack of evolution in the player pool that I think most of us expected in this cycle.

I also don't think anyone has mentioned maybe the weirdest inclusion on the roster, I had to look up who Chris Brady was.


Probably because the 3rd GK is less important than Roldan's "experience."

Just my opinion, of course.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

I thought Luna earned and secured a spot last summer. He's a fighter with an aggressive style going to goal and it had appeared he had already proved his value to Poch. I guess not.


Same
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think a clear wasted spot is at RWB… I think Scally or Freeman could've stayed home since Weah is also a good option there. Of the two, I like Freeman's attitude and potential, but I suppose Scally has the benefit of theoretically being able to play left side too. To me, bringing both is the most egregious waste of a spot.

I'm probably a moron, but I'd have left Scally and Reyna and brought Tessman and Luna.

With a 3 man back, adding Ream as depth makes sense… and I can live with Roldan instead of Morris or someone else.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a little worried Poch is screwing us over
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Scally and Reyna come as a package deal
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've gotten angrier throughout the day about Luna. He's the only gritty guy we have….and we need that edge. I'm as worried about that as I am about the chemistry issues with snubbing him. He seemed to be a bit of a glue guy. Genuinely confused how Roldan made this roster.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I've gotten angrier throughout the day about Luna. He's the only gritty guy we have….and we need that edge. I'm as worried about that as I am about the chemistry issues with snubbing him. He seemed to be a bit of a glue guy. Genuinely confused how Roldan made this roster.

I think Roldan is likely more of a glue guy than Luna. Luna seemed more like a Mathis type to me
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not mad about Roldan's inclusion. He's useful as a CDM where he was not so useful as a CAM early in his career. He made himself more useful and potentially important and more versatile later in his career. Good for him.

I just can't get over Luna's exclusion.

I think we had the youngest squad in the WC four years ago so it makes some sense we don't have a lot of youth in this roster. However, a subject for a discussion on a different thread, but our player pool below this roster and the state of youth player development is a huge problem for the foreseeable future, IMO. 2026 feels almost like a make or break for potentially changing the trajectory of the sport in this country and I don't feel good about it.
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

I'm not mad about Roldan's inclusion. He's useful as a CDM where he was not so useful as a CAM early in his career. He made himself more useful and potentially important and more versatile later in his career. Good for him.

I just can't get over Luna's exclusion.

I think we had the youngest squad in the WC four years ago so it makes some sense we don't have a lot of youth in this roster. However, a subject for a discussion on a different thread, but our player pool below this roster and the state of youth player development is a huge problem for the foreseeable future, IMO. 2026 feels almost like a make or break for potentially changing the trajectory of the sport in this country and I don't feel good about it.


Agreed, which is insane to think about given the insane momentum we seemed to have coming out of Qatar with our biggest manager hire ever and the "golden generation" coming of age, not to mention bringing the tournament to home soil. Crazy to think that this WC might actually set us back, when it seemed like it was going to be a real turning point. It felt like it could be like A&M basketball finally making it past a sweet 16 this cycle.
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think it's as dire as y'all think. The overwhelming majority of this roster will likely still be playing at a very high level in 2030.

And we've got guys everywhere. According to Transfermarkt, we've got 54 u23s that are worth a million Euro or more. Lots of exciting young prospects out there. Sullivan, Cremaschi, Wynder, Albert, Wiley, Campbell, Downs, Hall, and more.

And also, there are guys that did emerge but inexplicably didn't make the squad (Luna and Tessmann) and a very talented guy who probably would've made the squad if it weren't for the fact that he's actually German.

And yes, there's a few guys who we thought might have emerged for this cycle that didn't (big one for me was Caden Clark who somehow squandered 2 years at Leipzig with zero minutes which is damn-near impossible to do at that club)… but I think we've got a lot of reasons to be excited for the future.

Where we could be hurting is in leadership. It's a bad sign that even now we have to bring in Ream and Roldan to be team leaders. Adams can be the guy, but I also think he's the type that can rub a lot of guys the wrong way so he's a leader, but he's not "glue." We need someone to emerge ASAP… and relatedly, as PatAg and others have said for a long time… a big problem we have with this squad is that no one is "the guy" for their club, so no one takes responsibility.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deadbq03 said:

I don't think it's as dire as y'all think. The overwhelming majority of this roster will likely still be playing at a very high level in 2030.

And we've got guys everywhere. According to Transfermarkt, we've got 54 u23s that are worth a million Euro or more. Lots of exciting young prospects out there. Sullivan, Cremaschi, Wynder, Albert, Wiley, Campbell, Downs, Hall, and more.

And also, there are guys that did emerge but inexplicably didn't make the squad (Luna and Tessmann) and a very talented guy who probably would've made the squad if it weren't for the fact that he's actually German.

And yes, there's a few guys who we thought might have emerged for this cycle that didn't (big one for me was Caden Clark who somehow squandered 2 years at Leipzig with zero minutes which is damn-near impossible to do at that club)… but I think we've got a lot of reasons to be excited for the future.

Where we could be hurting is in leadership. It's a bad sign that even now we have to bring in Ream and Roldan to be team leaders. Adams can be the guy, but I also think he's the type that can rub a lot of guys the wrong way so he's a leader, but he's not "glue." We need someone to emerge ASAP… and relatedly, as PatAg and others have said for a long time… a big problem we have with this squad is that no one is "the guy" for their club, so no one takes responsibility.

I agree, I'm not worried about the future of the national team. We're continuing to increase the volume of quality players coming out every cycle, and a lot of them are challenging themselves earlier and earlier.
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard this morning that Luna is 2nd in goals and 2nd in assists under Pock (4 of each), 4th in games and 7th in minutes. Really don't understand leaving him at home.

At the end of school awards ceremony last week I saw one of my son's soccer crazy friends wearing the new shirt with Luna on the back. Might have to get one of those myself.
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think my big frustration with this roster is that with Tessmann being left off (I guess Poch doesn't believe he is going to be fit for the WC since he's been out injured the last month) is that we replaced him with another FB in Scally.

We have very few midfielders and instead of bringing another one like Luna, we've brought another average defender. We already have enough of that. Bring someone who plays with an edge and tries to make things happen.
YNWA.2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Comparing our roster to 2022:

Balogun > Ferriera
Pepi > Sargent

Berhalter Musah (as others have mentioned, he hasn't really taken that next step)
Malik Tillman > Kellyn Acosta
Zendejas = de la Torre (Zendejas is probably a tad more technically gifted)

Chris Richards > Walker Zimmerman
Trusty > Jordan Morris
Miles Robinson > Aaron Long
Alex Freeman < Yedlin
Arfsten = Shaq Moore (2nd string RBs, meh)
Mark McKenzie Carter-Vickers (CCV would be in this squad if he was fit)

Freese = Horvath
Brady (who?) = Johnson (3rd string GK, who cares)

---

Like others have said, the real frustration is with Tessman being left off. He would have been great to add depth to the midfield, the area this squad is seriously lacking.

---

Not a huge fan of the squad. No real youngsters to provide youth and excitement to camp or for an option off the bench. I think Poch played it safe bc he is looking out for himself. Play solidly in defense so we don't get blown out when we get eliminated and protect his reputation for the next job.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lack of keeper development is a little surprising. That was our biggest strength for almost three decades, and even last cycle we had at least a few who seemed to have the potential to make that breakthrough.

This cycle we've got Turner who seems to have kind of leveled off, Freese who seems solid but not elite, and Brady who's promising but really inexperienced.
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

The lack of keeper development is a little surprising. That was our biggest strength for almost three decades, and even last cycle we had at least a few who seemed to have the potential to make that breakthrough.

This cycle we've got Turner who seems to have kind of leveled off, Freese who seems solid but not elite, and Brady who's promising but really inexperienced.


Well at least freese has the neck of 3 keepers combined
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Freese is far better than Horvath. I'm not scared at all if something were to happen to Turner, whereas we'd have been up the creek if he got injured in 2022. (But to the point from Fig, neither is particularly great, which is a shame. They're both pretty good, but both have issues with their game as well. It is nice that Turner seems to be having a resurgence recently.).

I'd argue Freeman is at least equal with a Yedlin who was past his prime. IIRC a lot of us were wondering why we bothered bringing Yedlin last time.

Also, I think it's better to compare Zendejas to Morris as more of an apples to apples - and Z is much better.

Also, since I'm still busy vilifying their inclusion in this squad, I'll add:
2026 Gio < 2022 Gio
2026 Scally < 2022 Scally
(Jokes aside, I dare anyone to make a case that they're better than they were)
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's funny that people complain about Roldan's inclusion but not Scally's. At least the Arfsten and Freemen picks are interesting; the Scally pick is just 'I hope things go well enough that I never need to see him'
Vessel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slonina and Steffen going to big clubs in England to be full time backups was such a bad move.
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah that's where I'm at. Scally seems dead inside. Lacks any fire. Freeman and Arfsten at least try **** and look like they're enjoying themselves.

Reyna has potential to pull a rabbit out of a hat, but also has potential to throw a tantrum in practice and divide the locker room after Adams whips his ass.

I'd have taken Luna and Tessmann instead of those two.

I can live with the other choices.


That being said, what's done is done and I'll stop beating this dead horse. Both Reyna and Scally are 23. Their story doesn't have to be over… so I'll take the high road and hope they take the bull by the horns and make a real impact. I'd be thrilled if they prove me wrong.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tysker said:

I think it's funny that people complain about Roldan's inclusion but not Scally's. At least the Arfsten and Freemen picks are interesting; the Scally pick is just 'I hope things go well enough that I never need to see him'


Youngest non-German to have 150 Bundesliga appearances. Dude sucks.
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dammit I was trying to get off this topic.

Playing a long time doesn't mean much if you aren't improving. He's not much better than he was on start #20, if at all. He is stagnant, and playing for a team that keeps getting worse.

As I stated in my edit above though - I truly hope this lights a spark and his career trajectory lifts off again.
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rudyjax said:

tysker said:

I think it's funny that people complain about Roldan's inclusion but not Scally's. At least the Arfsten and Freemen picks are interesting; the Scally pick is just 'I hope things go well enough that I never need to see him'


Youngest non-German to have 150 Bundesliga appearances. Dude sucks.

He's never impressed me at the international level. I'm not expecting a Dolo back there, but he's not that much better than Weah in defense and definitely not better than Weah or Dest going forward.

He's this cycle's Bornstein
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm fine with him playing the right position.

We're not playing FBs so he's probably going to play CB.
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

The lack of keeper development is a little surprising

If only our country's best athletes, guys like Alex Caruso, would have chosen soccer...
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
for so many of these guys like gio and scally (and unfortunately others) that seem to plateau and/or even fall off once reaching elite levels of competition internationally, it really makes me think much of it is due to culture shock and being too immature to assimilate internationally in their respective landing spots, etc. There just has to be more to it when so many of these guys progress up the chain of comp, only to languish in the top leagues and get laughable playing time.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tysker said:

fig96 said:

The lack of keeper development is a little surprising

If only our country's best athletes, guys like Alex Caruso, would have chosen soccer...


oh no. Not that argument!
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tysker said:

fig96 said:

The lack of keeper development is a little surprising

If only our country's best athletes, guys like Alex Caruso, would have chosen soccer...

caruso could draw a red card, score, assist and injure the opponent's best player....in one move
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chris Richards is not starting for Crystal Palace tonight in the Conference League Final. He is on the bench. Hope he doesn't play and can focus on getting healthy enough to go in 2.5 weeks
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also hope we continue to rest him and others who've been over-worked in our Senegal match. And then come out with a true best 11 against Germany (and then rest guys at half).
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Freeman is going to see a lot of minutes this cup. He is getting better each time he takes the pitch. He has an edge to him and he is physically gifted. I think he makes himself a lot of money in the next couple months.
First Page Last Page
Page 166 of 171 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.