England Soccer Trip

4,126 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Thinice
Thinice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking to take a trip next season to hit several Premier League games.

Has anyone here done that and do you have any suggestons?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Teacher_Ag
AG
I happened to have a business trip fall on the same weekend as a match at the Emirates. So awesome finally taking in a match in person after watching them on TV for so many years. I joined an Arsenal ticket exchange group on FB and found a club member looking to sell his that weekend and did the deal that way. Which club(s) you trying to see?
Thinice
Snce its probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip we're going to try and hit the big ones dependng on the schedule:

Tottenham
Manchester United
Liverpool

Also interested iin Newcastle and Leeds, plus maybe some second/third division games.

Thanks for the tip on the Facebook group.
Aston94
AG
My suggestion is to decide what area you want to be in (London or Manchester/Liverpool area are best options or Midlands area) and just stay in same area for week and catch as many games as possible. Hit up a few lower level games in area too. I have done this in London and Manchester, fun experience.
Knucklesammich
Time it right and you can champions league or maybe some
Domestic cup games.
dmart90
AG
Go to London Stadium. When West Ham scores they let loose the bubbles...
King Koda
AG
Over Thanksgiving last year, did something similar and was able to watch Man City vs PSG in a Champions League match and then Chelsea vs ManU premier league at Stamford Bridge. A couple items to know...Buying tickets is not the same there and the secondary market can be frustrating at times. Getting tickets delivered may be very last minute. Also, game time and even day of the week sat/sun may change. The Chelsea/ManU game was originally scheduled for Saturday but changed to Sunday a couple weeks before and we had to change flights to return on Monday. Ended up not being a big deal but caused some consternation for a couple hours. Be prepared to have a flexible schedule and make sure your hotel is prepared to accept delivery of tickets the day before the match if you are trying to get tickets for any major match.
eiggA2002
AG
Looking to to do this too. I'm a Liverpool fan so a must is a match at Anfield. Problem I had last time when I was planning was obviously tickets. This was after the CL win and tickets were insane and very hard to come by. The easiest route is a CL match, especially if it's the group stage. A PL match was more difficult although, there was some availability for matches against bottom half teams but still expensive.

I'd second focusing on a specific area. If you aren't partial to a specific club, I'd go to London. Multiple PL options and some great Championship venues as well. From my research City is the easiest of the top 6 to get tickets and Liverpool probably the hardest.

If you plan on seeing a specific team, get a club membership as most have a subscription level where you can have access to purchasing tickets. It's not a guarantee, but at least it's another avenue to gain access and tickets will be much cheaper.
txam92
AG
I've done this before and you really need to look at the schedule to determine the best time to go if your goal is to hit multiple games. For example, we were able to do Fulham/Stoke in London, then City/Chelsea in Manchester and then Spurs/West Ham in London over a long weekend. I've also done a London/Liverpool trip where I took the train to Liverpool.

If you time it right, you can get two games in London. A third outside London is possible depending on schedule. I flew to and from Manchester but took the train to Liverpool as mentioned above. Each time, I spent the night in Manchester and Liverpool before coming back to London.

One other piece of info. The popular teams: Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU, etc are almost always sold out, especially if they're playing anyone decent. There is a way around this if you don't want to pay the prices from some place like Viagogo. Join at least one of the teams' supporters clubs. Most cost somewhere around $40-$70 and give you access to season ticket holders who sell their tickets for any game, at cost. I fly to Europe for work quite a bit (through London), so I went ahead and got an Arsenal and Chelsea membership so I had a chance at tickets, anytime I went through London.

Your other choice is many clubs have hotel+ticket package deals. I did this with Chelsea (when they had the hotel next to the stadium) and for City.

Summary is, it can be done, it just takes a little planning ahead of time.
bagger05
AG
When my buddy and I went to play golf in Scotland we flew in and out of Manchester so we could catch a game on the way in and out. Made for a crap ton of driving but it allowed us to play Lytham and the games were awesome. Saw one at Etihad and another at Old Trafford. Both were awesome but Old Trafford was on another level.

Might be in London for a conference in September and would love to hit up some games.
Thinice
We're going to start planning when the schedule comes out.

Last year it looked like there were a couple weeks where there were some midweek games. Hopefully there will be some this year as well, especially if they lose 6 weeks due to the World Cup.
SpicyAg
AG
Might I recommend Leicester City's King Power Stadium? Great stadium and has some of the friendliest fans
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
For sure hit up a non-league match. Cheap, awesome, tons of fun, and still great football.
Rudyjax
AG
Sounds awesome and lots of great advice.

Just be prepared for cancellations.
oh no
AG
Not sure if still going, but Singapore air used to have a daily non-stop from IAH to Manchester and sometimes you could get great deals on the fare. if you want to get to MUFC, City, or Liverpool.

I went to a match in the Shed End at Stamford Bridge a couple of years ago- it was amazing.
ChipFTAC01
AG
oh no said:

Not sure if still going, but Singapore air used to have a daily non-stop from IAH to Manchester and sometimes you could get great deals on the fare. if you want to get to MUFC, City, or Liverpool.

I went to a match in the Shed End at Stamford Bridge a couple of years ago- it was amazing.

Pretty sure the flight to Manchester was a victim of covid.
Mustang1
AG

ChipFTAC01
jessexy
AG
I'd hit Arsenal and one of the newly promoted clubs. Nottingham Forest seems like a cool place.
agracer
AG
Timely thread. Looking to go to England/Ireland this fall and want to catch a game. Would like to do Man City but honestly if I can just catch a game while we are there it would be fine.
King Koda
AG
When planning a trip this fall, don't forget World Cup will be November 21 through December 18 this year thanks to playing it in Qatar.
sixiron
AG
If you end up in London, I've heard Craven Cottage (Fulham) is worth a visit.
Rudyjax
AG
The good news is the all 3 countries are smaller than Texas.

You can easily find a match.
deadbq03
AG
King Koda said:

When planning a trip this fall, don't forget World Cup will be November 21 through December 18 this year thanks to playing it in Qatar.
I know you meant this a different way, but I honestly wanna make a trip to Europe during a WC and just hit up pubs in key countries and watch games. Sight-see some to let my liver recover, but go for the explicit purpose of watching soccer with people who love it.
agracer
AG
deadbq03 said:

King Koda said:

I know you meant this a different way, but I honestly wanna make a trip to Europe during a WC and just hit up pubs in key countries and watch games. Sight-see some to let my liver recover, but go for the explicit purpose of watching soccer with people who love it.
My wife and I were in Italy during the 2006 WC. We were walking through a piazza in Rome to find a restaurant for dinner, and most of them were empty with the staff all standing in front of a small TV watching Italy play Ukraine (or maybe Germany, can't recall exact dates). The streets were empty except for mostly tourists. We were eating outside on a patio and our waiter was just standing by the door and I could tell listening to the game…then, all the sudden it looked like someone had kicked him, he yelled out and ran inside the restaurant screaming "GOAAALLLLLLLLLL".

We were walking back to our hotel after dinner, right near the Vatican, on a Friday night I believe, and the streets were EMPTY! Then out of nowhere I could hear the entire city erupt in cheers and I knew Italy had scored again.

In our Hotel on the way home the next week in Milan, Italy was playing France in the final and I was watching the game late at night in our hotel room and I could hear the city cheer and cry at every good/bad thing that was happening. At one point during the OT period, Italy had one go off the cross bar and I hear someone down the street (like a group watching the game on a patio outside) all goo OOOHHHH!!!!! Like the life had been sucked out of them.

Tried to get the wife to train up to Germany for a match but we had a B&B on the Cinque Terra and a Ferrari Factory visit on the literary already so "No way in HELL we're going to Germany for a SOCCER GAME!!!"

I mean I know we all go nuts for College Football, but it's nothing compared to what I saw in 2006. The entire country was watching and everything stopped when Italy played. It was also great b/c they kept winning so everyone was in a fantastic mood!
agracer
AG
HAHA, now that I think about it, that's probably why the captain on our plane decided to wait for connecting passengers and we missed our connection home in the states. He was just in a damned good mood!
BJM1781
AG
agracer said:

I mean I know we all go nuts for College Football, but it's nothing compared to what I saw in 2006. The entire country was watching and everything stopped when Italy played. It was also great b/c they kept winning so everyone was in a fantastic mood!
For real. Nothing can compare to the supporters and the drama of the World Cup. It's rare to get an entire nation rooting for the same thing.

I was lucky enough to have attended all 3 US matches in South Africa 2010. Nothing will ever top the joy and sheer thrill I felt seeing Donovan score that goal at the last minute against Algeria to send us through to the Round of 16.
txam92
AG
sixiron said:

If you end up in London, I've heard Craven Cottage (Fulham) is worth a visit.

It is but you need to go with the right mindset. The location is great but it is really old so anyone going shouldn't expect renovated Kyle Field. It's intimate (only seats 20k or so) but has It's charm. One of the Stadium bars is called McBride's...yes..it's named after Brian McBride. That's cool place to grab a pint.
sixiron
AG
Quote:

The location is great but it is really old so anyone going shouldn't expect renovated Kyle Field. It's intimate (only seats 20k or so) but has It's charm.

That's exactly why I mentioned it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
For me, give me rickety old dumps with character over new stadiums with amenities all day every day. It's like Fenway versus New Yankee stadium. I've got no interest in Spurs or Emirates but give me Craven Cottage or Selhurst or Goodison or Hillsborough.
planoaggie123
AG
Thinice said:

Snce its probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip we're going to try and hit the big ones dependng on the schedule:

Tottenham
Manchester United
Liverpool

Also interested iin Newcastle and Leeds, plus maybe some second/third division games.

Thanks for the tip on the Facebook group.

It was said by a poster above and you mention it here....if i had time after going to a ManU game and maybe one other top tier....I would want to experience some of the smaller clubs and have the more intimate feel of what i would assume is the "traditional English soccer experience"....maybe even try and jump over to Scotland and do the same...all pipe dreams for me but glad to see you are working to make your dream trip come true...
Thinice
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Fired up for the schedule release @ 4am!!!!
Thinice
Looks like we may try Mid-February, Tottenham first weekend and Manchester United second.
Will give us plenty of time to catch a mid-week if any are scheduled and some lower division games as well.

Thinking we'll base out London the first half and either Manchester or Liverpool the second half. Which of those two (Liv-Man) would be more fun for non-soccer stuff?
Rudyjax
AG
Thinice said:

Looks like we may try Mid-February, Tottenham first weekend and Manchester United second.
Will give us plenty of time to catch a mid-week if any are scheduled and some lower division games as well.

Thinking we'll base out London the first half and either Manchester or Liverpool the second half. Which of those two (Liv-Man) would be more fun for non-soccer stuff?

Keep in mind they change the days of the matches often, unlike US.

Thinice
Ken Scarborough said:

Thinice said:

Keep in mind they change the days of the matches often, unlike US.

Yep, wanted to go to Anfield as well, hopefully they end with a game on a different day as our other two games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.