Houston Dynamo 2022 Season Thread

15,383 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KCup17
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well...as usual the 2021 season has ended in early November so I suppose it's appropriate to commence next season's thread.

It was dire last season. It's been dire a lot of seasons. But...what's that I see on the horizon. Dare I say...hope?

The Breners are gone. In steps in Ted Segal. We don't know a whole lot about Ted or whether he'll actually invest in the team. But he says he will. But most importantly he's different and right now, to paraphrase Phil Connors, "anything different is good".

Matt Jordan is gone. In steps Pat Onstad. How Matt Jordan managed to hold that job for 7 years will never cease to amaze me. But in Pat, Segal has seemed to hire a more than competent GM and has definitely hired a link to the club's history. Both have been needed for ages.

Tab Ramos is gone. In steps...who knows? I honestly wish that Tab had proper support during his time here and feel it's a little unfair he was never really given that before being let go. But I get that Segal and Pat are going to want to leave their own mark on the team and cleaning out a head coach who didn't have much (any) success is a no-brainer in that regard.

So sign up for monthly post in this thread and let's see if we can get to page 2 before July.
jeffk
AG
Save us once again, Pat Onstad.
Texaggie7nine
Wake me when we can sniff a win.
7nine
ja86
fig96
AG
There was an article on The Striker asking whether firing Tab makes the Dynamo a better team and I think it's a pretty legitimate question, while he wasn't without fault Jordan and the previous ownership were a huge roadblock. Hope to see him get another shot somewhere.
KCup17
AG
I'm convinced that until the culture around the club changes we wont be a successful team. We could have Mourinho come in and still be a bottom dweller in the Conference.

I think strides are being made to make those changes but only time will tell. I miss the early days of the Dynamo.
EconAg18
AG
New to Houston and haven't really followed MLS before, but want to dive in to pair with my love for Bundesliga. Anyone here have season tickets?
Texaggie7nine
EconAg18 said:

New to Houston and haven't really followed MLS before, but want to dive in to pair with my love for Bundesliga. Anyone here have season tickets?
Well at least you can earn your fan credits these next couple years and bear out some sucky years before we may be a champion contender again down the road.
7nine
EconAg18
AG
Hey New England turned things around pretty quickly! I'm just here for the ride!
Bryan98
AG
EconAg18 said:

One of my best friends and fellow Ags has them, and has invited me to many, many games. Too bad they stink right now. =(
Furlock Bones
AG
EconAg18 said:

My buddy and his family have had season tickets since the opening season. Hopefully, the new owners and new GM Pat Onstad can bring the winning tradition of the club back.

Unfortunately, prior owners and management refused to spend money to field a competitive team, and they destroyed the relationship with spanish speaking community.
EconAg18
AG
That's sad to hear. It seems like everyone on the subreddit is fired up over Pat, but we'll have to see what happens with the new manager hire and player signings. Fingers crossed the franchise is turning the corner
Dre_00
Paulo Nagamura announced as the new head coach. Not exactly a head turning name to christen the new era. In the press conference today, Pat said that they will aggressively be looking to spend over the next month in new talent. We shall see I suppose...
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Good lord I hope so. Our payroll is lower than Moldovan side Sheriff Tiraspol.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Quote:

Houston Dynamo FC is making the most expensive signing in club history with Tuesday's acquisition of Sebastin Ferreira.
The Dynamo acquired the forward as a designated player in a full transfer from Club Libertad Asuncin in Paraguay. Ferreira, 23, spent the last two years with Libertad, winning two league-scoring titles and helping lead his club to the 2021 Apertura championship. In 79 appearances for Libertad, he has totaled 34 goals and 12 assists.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/local/2022/01/18/houston-dynamo-fc-make-most-expensive-signing-in-club-history-acquire-sebastian-ferreira/
Dre_00
I like how he's the most expensive transfer ever but they don't say the actual amount paid for him. Throw $500 at Libertad and that might be enough to qualify as the most expensive transfer ever.

I jest. I'm thinking either Torres, Landin, or Elis were the most expensive till now as they all came from Liga MX. I think all of them came for very low 7 figures but I might be misremembering.
Dre_00
Ha...wrong thread.
Dre_00
Dynamo have reportedly made an offer to bring Hector Herrera from Atletico Madrid. Who knows if it's legitimate. Or if he's even interested.
KCup17
AG
Whoa. In my opinion that would be a huge pick up. If he comes I hope he fares better than Mexican internationals of years past. i.e Cubo Torres and the guy who gained a ton of weight (His name escapes me at the moment)
KCup17
AG
I hate being hopefully optimistic about the Dynamo. Love the club but since the Kinnear Era I have been let down all too often.
Dre_00
Landin

Herrera is at a much higher level than either of those players. Even at 31. He still has at least a couple of good years in him especially at MLS level. That doesn't mean he will succeed but he would be interesting.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not particularly thread related but stood in line for concessions at the Houston Zoo yesterday next to Adalberto Carrasquilla.
KCup17
AG
I think culturally he would be a good fit for the club and the city.

Dang I miss the days of a packed out Robertson.
djmeen95
AG
Season kicks off tonight! Anyone else going?

Time to see what this team wants to build towards under the new ownership!

Heck - at least it looks like they're willing to make some investments. Anyone ever figure out what they paid for Ferreira? Saw rumors of transfer fee of over $4m but don't see anything out there for sure after his signing.

Regardless, at least a few new faces to start the season and seems like work still happening to try and swing Herrera.

Hoping the team makes the season fun.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/three-points-houston-dynamo-fc-open-the-regular-season-on-sunday-at-pnc-stadium

Quote:

NEW FACES MAKE IMPACT IN PRESEASON: Designated Player Sebastian Ferreira scored two goals for the team in preseason and he is one of five new faces to join the team for the 2022 season. Defender Daniel Steres and goalkeeper Steve Clark have made an argument for a role in the starting lineup throughout preseason and both started in all six games for the Dynamo. Rookie forward Thor lfarsson scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC and the Icelandic attacker tallied a goal over the weekend for Dynamo 2 in a preseason friendly against San Antonio FC. The only player added to the roster that did not feature for the team is defender Zeca, who will join the team pending his Visa.

Dre_00
Not to rain on the parade but even with the additions/changes, the Dynamo are predicted to finish last in the Western Conference. Anything can of course happen in MLS, and often does, but it's going to take multiple seasons for the club to approach respectability. We'll need to give the ownership and the manager time.
Texaggie7nine
Dont't think I watched a game last season. I'm watching tonight just to see if I see any sparks.
7nine
Out in Left Field
AG
That certainly was a game of football that happened.
djmeen95
AG
I had fun last night. Good energy from the crowd - lots of shots on goal but man, just need to find the back of the net.

On the other hand Salt Lake's shots on goal were the nerve wracking variety - lol.

Overall I thought the team played physical and a little faster than when I saw them play vs Austin a couple of weeks ago.
Dre_00
Well hello

jeffk
carl spacklers hat
Dre_00 said:

Well hello

Hate to say it but I hope Hache Hache stays put. Can't stand him. Too much clown stuff from US/MX matches to get behind him in a Dynamo uni.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Dre_00
The club is in such dire straits when it comes to on the field investment that I'm happy to look past that. They could sign 2002 Rafa Marquez and I'd still applaud it (but I get your point).

It's now been confirmed by the league sources of multiple MLS writers so it's almost assuredly happening.
Texaggie7nine
There should be a diagram like the Hot/crazy diagram for women for athletes called the Talent/Annoying diagram.

I haven't watched much of Herrera lately but if he is around as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, he's well into the acceptable range for being on my team.
7nine
jeffk
AG
Galaxy were kicking the tires on signing Sergio Ramos. So I'm happy with where Herrera falls on that matrix comparatively.
Texaggie7nine

Well done
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.