***** US vs Mexico Gold Cup Finals *****

27,095 Views | 631 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ferg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
archangelus2 said:

Who plays arriolas position on our ideal squad and how far down the depth chart is he?
I think he would probably be 4th or 5th, with another 3-4 younger players that could bypass him if they keep developing.

Again, he's someone you can rely on to be positionally sound, run up and down the line without tiring, and occassionally make a good cross or finish. So its ok to have him on the 23, but ideally better players surpass him.
jeffk
AG
I'm happy that everyone seems to be having fun.
PatAg
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Bad shot. If he cuts it back to his right, the first defender overruns him and he has a better look at goal with his right foot. Oh well.
I actually dont think he had the space to make that cutback, another defender was trailing as well. He just needed more technique than he had.
aggiephoenix02
For the past 35 years, Mexico has thought of themselves as if they play like Brazil, but in reality they play like Guatemala with slightly more talent...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
awall11
AG
I'm assuming the longer this stays tied the more the shenanigans will ramp up
carl spacklers hat
awall11 said:

Does the Pope wear a pointy hat?
OasisMan
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

It is amazing this squad made it this far. I will give them credit for never giving up and somehow conceding very few goals.
they play with great effort,

Almost too much, they over run sometimes
AustinScubaAg
AG
awall11 said:

You are joking right
birdman
PatAg said:

carl spacklers hat said:

Bad shot. If he cuts it back to his right, the first defender overruns him and he has a better look at goal with his right foot. Oh well.
I actually dont think he had the space to make that cutback, another defender was trailing as well. He just needed more technique than he had.
I think you still try to cut back. Mexico is going to avoid a foul in the box. You'll have more space than normal.

Next best move is the bounce it off the out of control defender and earn a corner kick.

Arriola did the worst move. He couldn't score half the time from that angle WITHOUT a goalie. With a keeper in position, it's extremely low percent play.
Pahdz
Hoppe is kinda spastic but if you play with that effort you will always seem to find a spot somewhere.
PatAg
AG
Id also like to say, win or lose, we are getting a lot of valuable data on the group of players that will give us depth for WCQ. As well as some that could play themselves onto a WC roster, or even starting lineups.

There's also probably about another 11-13 players who weren't available for this Gold Cup, for one reason or another, that could also play a part in WCQ.

That said, why not win the whole ****ing thing
MB19
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

It is amazing this squad made it this far. I will give them credit for never giving up and somehow conceding very few goals.
This was the right tournament to blood some young guys. Mostly off of MLS rosters too.
PatAg
AG
birdman said:

PatAg said:

carl spacklers hat said:

I think you still try to cut back. Mexico is going to avoid a foul in the box. You'll have more space than normal.

Next best move is the bounce it off the out of control defender and earn a corner kick.

Arriola did the worst move. He couldn't score half the time from that angle WITHOUT a goalie. With a keeper in position, it's extremely low percent play.
I also don't think Arriola has the skill to make a cutback off a full sprint in that scenario, and also get a shot off
PatAg
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

awall11 said:

Does the Pope wear a pointy hat?
Does the Pope **** in the woods?
Phat32
AG
Why do we use Gold Cup as a training ground?
aggiephoenix02
I sure Hoppe we win this game...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
birdman
Pahdz said:

Hoppe is kinda spastic but if you play with that effort you will always seem to find a spot somewhere.
He needs to keep the spastic stuff to a minimum in the defensive third. Hoppe can go bananas on the offensive side of field.
aggiephoenix02
aggiephoenix02 said:

I sure Hoppe we win this game...
I'll be Hoppe if we win this game...
PatAg
AG
First half

I've been very surprised by Bello's level of play. He had a great half.

Zardes has also done an excellent job of bringing the midfield into the game, as well as pressing correctly and timely.
jeffk
AG
Zardes worldie incoming.
PatAg
AG
It's just special circusmtances this summer. Nations League happened in June, when it shouldnt have, and then WCQ this year will be 3 games per window instead of 2..and the next window is September.

So we have the majority of our starters in pre-season in Europe, we decided it would be better for them to play Nations League (we won) and be with their clubs now so they can earn and solidify their roles with their clubs. Then they will be fresher for the qualifiers as well.

It's also important for all our young players developments for them to earn those roles with their clubs teams, so they are in form for WCQ.
carl spacklers hat
Zardes has grown on me in this game. I thought he'd be the super sub but I've been pleasantly surprised with his play. Never questioned his hustle but there are other parts of his game that have been less polished (first touch, for example).
birdman
PatAg said:

First half

I've been very surprised by Bello's level of play. He had a great half.

Zardes has also done an excellent job of bringing the midfield into the game, as well as pressing correctly and timely.

Turner was excellent as well.

Bello has been rock solid. He's working too hard though. He needs the mids in front of him to hang onto the ball for longer than 2 seconds.

Zardes has been good too.
birdman
We nearly scored in first 15 seconds of 2nd half.
TRM
AG
Better start.
JJxvi
AG
Omg, why are you stuck in the mud
birdman
Bello didn't even come close to fouling that guy. Horrible officiating.
carl spacklers hat
Where's the ****ing foul there?
PatAg
AG
I feel like this roof is a little inconsistent on what he allows Mexico to do when they're pressing us and what he allows us to do when we're pressing them
Silvertaps
AG
These damn whistles! Let 'em play!
aggiephoenix02
Yup!
PatAg
AG
The thing I don't get about what we just did with sans is, why is our player even passing the ball to him in that spot and then why is he attempting to continue playing with it. Either one of them needs to recognize there's nothing to be gained there and just booted up field
YouBet
AG
Jesus Christ clear the ball.
birdman
Sands is single-handedly going to get us beat.

CLEAR THE BALL.
PatAg
AG
I think that's on our midfield there you can't have a player that open in the box

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.