*****Official Copa America 2021 Thread*****

7,744 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXCityAggie
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bump if anyone is watching tonight's matches. I didn't know there was a thread for this tournament.
stillmerk
AG
Keeping up on my phone
wangus12
AG
QuarterFinals Bracket

July 3rd, Goinia
Argentina vs. Ecuador

July 3rd, Brasilia
Uruguay vs. Colombia

The winners of the above matches play each other in the Semi-Finals

------------------------------------

July 2nd, Rio de Janeiro
Brazil vs. Chile

July 2nd, Goinia
Peru vs. Paraguay

The winners of the above matches play each other in the Semi-Finals

Jason_Ag98
AG
Anyone watching Peru-Paraguay? It's been pretty entertaining - both teams playing with 10 men and Paraguay just equalized 3-3 in the 90th minute.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Didn't realize they don't play extra time - just straight to penalties!
oh no
AG
A good match coming up next too!
TMACsDaMan
Gabriel Jesus with the kung fu kick to the neck/face
Thunder18
AG
Gabriel Jesus just Cantona'd that Chile player in the face
Jason_Ag98
AG
Now THAT'S a red card!
wangus12
AG
Jusssst a bit high
wangus12
AG
Brazil still playing like they have 11 men and its leading to some holes. They need a second goal to feel comfortable
jeffk
AG
borderline red imo
Mathguy64
AG
It's watching games like this that remind me how much I hate refereeing games with teams like this. Embellishment. Out and out simulation. Targeting players. Playing balls before whistles on free kicks. Open dissent. Slight touches on ankles that result in
screams yet everyone on both teams nips at ankles. High feet in faces. You can't pay me enough $$ to do games like this.
snowdog90
Even I'm ok with that red.
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It's watching games like this that remind me how much I hate refereeing games with teams like this. Embellishment. Out and out simulation. Targeting players. Playing balls before whistles on free kicks. Open dissent. Slight touches on ankles that result in
screams yet everyone on both teams nips at ankles. High feet in faces. You can't pay me enough $$ to do games like this.

They need to start giving out more red cards to put an end to the simulation bs
Mathguy64
AG
Freaking Richarlison. It's a foul. Nothing more. He's rolling on the ground like he lost a leg. He rolls over with a flat face and no espression and looks at the ref to see if he's getting the desired reaction and when the answer is no he doubles down rolling back. Cry me a River.
wangus12
AG
Richarlison has quickly become one of my most hated players over the last 3-4 years. Dude is a pansy diving ass
Mathguy64
AG
Yep. He's the Brazilian Wilfred Zaha.
PatAg
AG
freakin let it rip!
PatAg
AG
Always love the guy that tries to be the hero and just skies to 30 ft over the goal

aka Brian Acosta
snowdog90
Brazil is just so good, but just like Italy, the primary strategy, it seems, is to dive in certain situations. So off-putting.
wangus12
AG
To be fair that's the entire continent south of Texas
aTmAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

Brazil is just so good, but just like Italy, the primary strategy, it seems, is to dive in certain situations. So off-putting.
I couldn't watch. Was it Neymar again?
PatAg
AG
I think there is a difference between being up late and going down easy on challenges to try to kill the game off, and diving all game and the other nonsense Central and South AMerican teams get up to
snowdog90
aTmAg said:

snowdog90 said:

I couldn't watch. Was it Neymar again?

Richarlson is the main culprit but Newmar is not far behind. Chile does it, too, but maybe not as much.

That's one of the many reasons I root for and love Messi. He rarely dives, and it probably hurts his team because it works.
Mathguy64
AG
Different groups have their own idiosyncrasies.

Central and South American players don't play balls in the air with their heads or jump with arms out very much but use feet, often very dangerously. They nip at heels a lot but don't want anyone touching theirs especially from behind. And of course embellish everything.

North American and European players play in the air a lot and don't like feet in faces. They play very physically with shoulders and high elbows and tend to commit lots of strong fouls on the ground. They don't like embellishment at all.

African players don't think anything short of blood and open wounds or broken bones are fouls at all. These are the most physical teams generally and have arms, legs, feet and heads flying everywhere.

Middle eastern teams can spend more time arguing with themselves than playing soccer. You have to understand they are yelling at each other not at you.
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Central and South American players don't play balls in the air with their heads or jump with arms out very much but use feet, often very dangerously. They nip at heels a lot but don't want anyone touching theirs especially from behind. And of course embellish everything.

North American and European players play in the air a lot and don't like feet in faces. They play very physically with shoulders and high elbows and tend to commit lots of strong fouls on the ground. They don't like embellishment at all.

African players don't think anything short of blood and open wounds or broken bones are fouls at all. These are the most physical teams generally and have arms, legs, feet and heads flying everywhere.

Middle eastern teams can spend more time arguing with themselves than playing soccer. You have to understand they are yelling at each other not at you.

This analysis is spot on
TXCityAggie
AG
Colombia and Argentina advance to the semis. Vamos Colombia!
aTmAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Yet Europeans sure do embellish a lot. I think that only North Americans avoid it since they are competing against Football and Hockey for viewers (Edit: and Messi).
Thunder18
AG
I'm not sure he was talking about professionals, but his experience with players from those areas in leagues and games he has refereed. I play pickup with a very diverse group of guys in W Houston and he literally perfectly captured the dynamic of how the players from those areas tend to play.

In high school my soccer team had a large number of Bosnians, Serbs and Croation refugees as well as mostly hispanic and South American kids and the difference in styles/physicality was a constant source of friction between the factions
aTmAg
AG
Oh, clearly I was only commenting on the professional level. I'm not sure about high school agers.
Mathguy64
AG
It's definitely how adults from these regions play. And when you get different groups it's a big deal. A Hispanic team playing a Bosnian one is real trouble if you don't know that these players are going to play very differently and react to different things very differently.

Professionals teams share some of these qualities and you can see it in multinational events like the WC. It's also very evident in CONCACAF where the US and now Canada stands out compared to every other nation
deadbq03
AG
aTmAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yet Europeans sure do embellish a lot. I think that only North Americans avoid it since they are competing against Football and Hockey for viewers (Edit: and Messi).
I think there's a lot of variation within Europe. Consider the Denmark-Czech game, where it was so hard fought in the air that two dudes had to have their heads wrapped in gauze and yet there wasn't a single person rolling on the turf, even in the hardest of incidents. On the other side of the coin, Spain, Portugal, and Italy tend to resemble South American teams in their embellishments.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, the Southern European/Mediterranean teams play somewhat similarly to the Latin American teams, ime.
boogieman
AG
Monster saves by the Peru keeper early on

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.