*****Official Copa America 2021 Thread*****

7,600 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXCityAggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Copa America starts today. Tournament was moved from Argentina to Brazil 2 weeks ago due to COVID lockdowns. Before that it was supposed to be in Colombia before protests against the government there. Below are the groups. Group stage is round robin. Top 4 teams in group advance to the knockout stage.

Group A (South Zone) Standings:
-----------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
Argentina-----------4----3---1---0___+5----10
Uruguay-------------4----2---1---1___+2----7
Paraguay------------4----2---0---2___+2----6
Chile------------------4----1---2---1___-1----5
Bolivia---------------4----0---0---4___-8----0

Group B (North Zone) Standings:
----------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
Brazil----------------4----3---1---0___+8----10
Peru------------------4----2---1---1___-2----7
Colombia-----------4----1---1---2___-1----4
Ecuador-------------4----0---3---1___-1----3
Venezuela----------4----0---2---2___-4----2

wangus12
AG
Fox Sports has the broadcasts. First matches are tonight

Brazil v. Venezuela
When: 4:00PM CT

Colombia v. Ecuador
When: 7:00PM CT
wangus12
AG
Also don't be shocked if this someone has Covid issues. I think 3 or 4 teams already have positive tests in their camps
stillmerk
AG
Damn, no Josef Martinez.
bbry81
Venezuela I think has 12 positive tests
Thunder18
AG
Colombia had a nice goal from a set piece. Ran it to perfection
byfLuger41
randy828
AG
Neymar played one of his best games that I have watched in awhile. Should have had another goal or two, but his passing was excellent. Hope he keeps up form.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
jeffk
AG
wangus12 said:

Also don't be shocked if this someone has Covid issues. I think 3 or 4 teams already have positive tests in their camps

And they moved the whole tourney to one of the most densely populated nations on the continent with a history of poorly handling COVID.
wangus12
AG
I know the USA supposedly put in a bid to host it and were turned down
jeffk
AG
Yeah, that would have been the safest thing to do, but they were never going to accept moving it to the US as long as there was a member nation that wanted to host.
heddleston
AG
Argentina v Chile at 4!

Paraguay v Bolivia at 7!

Is Chile still the threat the'yve been in prior years? I know a lot of that core has aged but haven't kept up with their younger talent.
stillmerk
AG
Messi
Spore Ag
Not overly impressed with either Chile or Argentina.
An Ag in CO
AG
You have to be impressed with the cojones of Vidal, though. That was a pretty good kick to the nuts.
bbry81
Odds this tournament is completed can't be very high.
wangus12
AG
Yeah. It was blatantly obvious they weren't going to be able to control any type of spread. Venezuela at this rate won't be able to complete the group stage matches
TRM
AG
Put on Colombia and Venezuela and surprised it's still tied in the 74th minute.
byfLuger41
AG
This match is extremely terrible to watch.

Flop after flop after flop.
stillmerk
AG
Didn't we have a couple posters who were big Venezuelan fans? Gambo? I could be completely wrong.
randy828
AG
Neymar not having a very good game, but excellent goal.

What a second half of the second half! Both Neymar and the whole Brazil team!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Mathguy64
AG
byfLuger41 said:

This match is extremely terrible to watch.

Flop after flop after flop.

I watched some and finally gave up. The differences in how European teams play and deal with simulation versus central and South American teams is night and day. Embellishment is one thing. It's another to out and out fake it.
stillmerk
AG
Just the 1 set piece to really speak of at half.
PatAg
AG
Parts of Copa America are great to watch, but man their theatrics are probably the worst in the world
TRM
AG
Brazil had a goal coming but the ref should have blown that dead.
LeonardSkinner
TRM said:

Brazil had a goal coming but the ref should have blown that dead.

I'm old school, and I have always operated as if the referee was part of the pitch. That said, I don't think that play met the threshold of starting a promising attack. Play to the whistle, Colombia.
LeonardSkinner
Maybe if Colombia hadn't complained for 7 minutes. Ouch.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm just thankful I can no longer earn an assist.
TRM
AG
To me it was promising because Brazil was able to change the point of attack quickly, but that's just my opinion.
Mathguy64
AG
It was promising enough he signaled advantage. That's a really Bad miss by a really good ref
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not a Neymar fan and think he doesn't help himself with all the simulation and embellishment he brings on. But he got the crap beat out of himself tonight. Soccer doesn't tolerate the hack a shaq defense and he got hacked to death tonight.
An Ag in CO
AG
The Colombia game yesterday is pretty much why you watch Copa America. You're expecting that game to be something very different from what anyone would consider normal. Copa had a slow start, but the last few sets of games have been pretty good. I think the exchange program for refs between UEFA and CONMEBOL is interesting, but the Colombia game yesterday with the Spanish referee would probably not have been a good idea so glad they didn't put him through that one.
TRM
AG
Uruguay plays today on the 7th anniversary of Suarez biting Chiellini. Do we get any reenactments?
TXCityAggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It was promising enough he signaled advantage. That's a really Bad miss by a really good ref

I live in Colombia and can confirm that folks down here are PISSED.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Turn on Chile/Paraguay
someone may get carted off for real
FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.