Chelsea 2021-2022 Thread

19,617 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Max Power
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally something positive!
Jim01
AG
Werner was peak Werner hitting both poles and the cross bar. Glad he finally scored though. At some point I felt bad for him. He has skill and puts himself in good positions but for some reason just can't get that finish!
JJxvi
AG
Ooof
cs09
AG
So freaking gut wrenching.

Did all that work and then just an otherworldly play by Modric.
Max Power
AG
It was a disappointing result but the last two matches were so much better than the last one against Real and the 4-1 loss to Brentford. They fought, didn't lay down, but Real's conversion rate was better, when they had chances they rarely missed.

I like what I've seen from Timo the last two matches, regardless of his misses he never gives less than 100%. If Lukaku gave the same effort as Werner he'd be close to unstoppable.
byfLuger41
AG
3 points!

Captain America with the gut punch.
Terk
AG
late points are great points!
Jim01
AG
Not surprising but sad to see him go.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-soccer-transfers/story/4650762/real-madrid-reach-preliminary-agreement-with-chelseas-antonio-rudiger-sources
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Pulisic scoring after the cross by Alonzo was great and left footed! First time he's

played in about 4 games. Came in @75 and scored in 90th!
Max Power
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/sports/soccer/chelsea-ratcliffe-sale.html

That is a staggering sum of money, I think the bidding is over.
akm91
AG
Max Power said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/sports/soccer/chelsea-ratcliffe-sale.html

That is a staggering sum of money, I think the bidding is over.
Yes, the deadline for the bid passed more than 2 weeks ago. Who knows if Ratcliffe is really out of running or not.

Quote:

The consortium led by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly has moved clear in the race to buy Premier League club Chelsea for more than $4.4 billion (3.5bn), after being selected as the preferred bidder despite a last-ditch higher offer from British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, sources have told ESPN.

In a dramatic day of developments, the New York-based merchant bank Raine Group, appointed to handle the sale of the club, were in the midst of identifying a leading candidate from the three remaining parties when Ratcliffe confirmed a new offer totalling 4.25bn ($5.3bn).

The deadline for bids passed more than two weeks ago, but Ratcliffe believed he could take advantage of ongoing delays in the bidding process which included further talks at Stamford Bridge this week between senior club figures and the three finalists: Boehly's group, another featuring British businessman Sir Martin Broughton and a third headed by Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca.
Chelsea selects preferred bidder
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Max Power
AG
Quote:

Chelsea declined to confirm the preference for Boehly when contacted by ESPN but it is understood the consortium, which also includes Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss, is now considered the front-runner.

Further talks are planned between Chelsea and Raine over how to proceed with Ratcliffe's 11th-hour intervention. Sources have suggested Ratcliffe, owner of petrochemicals giant INEOS, sensed an opportunity after talks between Chelsea and the three remaining parties dragged over the valuation and the amount to be passed to a charity set up to help the victims of the war in Ukraine.

Perhaps it's not over quite yet.
ChipFTAC01
AG
How is Chelsea $4B and wasn't the Newcastle sale only like $400MM? Obviously Chelsea aren't in any threat of relegation but they also have a mess of a stadium situation to deal with.
Unemployed
AG
1-0 Everton.

What is you doing, Chelsesa?
Rudyjax
AG
Not sure if the veracity of this tweet. Had since been deleted.

jeffk
AG
It's real. I saw it yesterday before it got pulled down.
JJxvi
AG
Interesting fun fact of the day: Pulisic leads all Chelsea attackers in Premier League goals per 90 minutes.

The Chelsea attack has several Continental/Cup wonders who never score in league games, particularly Werner, Havertz, and Lukaku.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

It's real. I saw it yesterday before it got pulled down.

Hopefully he goes to a good spot.
JJxvi
AG
IMO Pulisic's biggest problem right now and Chelsea's biggest weakness are related. You have Mason Mount playing as an attacker which is limiting the options in the attack for the other creative players in the team. Chelsea has been great at attacking wide from the back with James, Alonso, Chilwell, but the central midfield is just extremely stale. 4 maybe 5 goals I think all year from central midfielders getting forward or crashing the box. All of Jorghino's goals are penalties, while Kovacic and Kante have 2 each. Mount should be playing in the central midfield. Mount is the main creative player, he needs to be further back with more attacking players in front of him, he needs to provide the late arriving and hard to track threat from the middle of the field like the wingbacks do wide and in the channels. Playing 3 defensive minded midfielders (or 2 plus 3 central defenders) just isnt cutting it, and its cutting down on the number of good attacking players that Chelsea is using, and especially so in a season where the wingbacks have been hurt. Mount should be playing centrally, and Pulisic should be starting the majority of games in one of the other attacking spots instead.
Max Power
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea-engchelsea/story/4659417/la-dodgers-part-owner-todd-boehly-wins-bid-to-take-over-chelsea-reports
byfLuger41
AG
New owner

Brace for Lukaku
JJxvi
Jim01
AG
I mean LIMPING to the finish line this season. Some positives with Lukaku and Pulisic having nice time and games but damn!
cs09
AG
That was a kick to the nuts
akm91
AG
Pulisic in the starting XI today
JJxvi
AG
Kovacic injured again by a horror tackle red card
Jim01
AG
Is it just me or has there been an extremely high number of "emergency in the stands" situations this year? This has to be at least the 5th or 6th match I've watched this year where the game was stopped because someone in the stands needed medical attention. I don't remember ever seeing it in past years. Did they change the way they handle these things or something so that it's more noticeable now? Did they used to not stop the match? Or are people just dropping at an alarming rate?
Jim01
AG
Captain America strikes!
JJxvi
AG
Spurs-Arsenal result so far would see Chelsea needing 1 point from the final two games to nail down a Champions League spot. Arsenal coming back to take back any points in the game would confirm qualification today.
byfLuger41
AG
Hopefully see a positive result today.
JJxvi
AG
Whats the xG been for both of these teams in these cup finals?
JJxvi
AG
Cant believe Pulisic made Mount take that ****ty penalty.
Out in Left Field
AG
Pulisic played well. Should have finished one
jeffk
AG
JJxvi said:

Whats the xG been for both of these teams in these cup finals?

jeffk
AG
Y'all played well today. Sucks to end a game on penalties.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.