****Bundesliga 2020/21 Season Thread****

7,506 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by deadbq03
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dead, I actually think you guys won't miss a beat moving to Jesse Marsch if that is indeed the way y'all go. Maybe go get Aaronson too?

Crazy the amount of turnover at the top with new coaches coming in next year:

Bayern
RB Leipzig
Dortmund
Bayer Leverkusen
Eintracht Frankfurt
Monchengladbach
Legal Custodian
AG
Fabrizio just tweeted that Jesse Marsch will indeed be the next manager at Leipzig.
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Dead, I actually think you guys won't miss a beat moving to Jesse Marsch if that is indeed the way y'all go. Maybe go get Aaronson too?

Crazy the amount of turnover at the top with new coaches coming in next year:

Bayern
RB Leipzig
Dortmund
Bayer Leverkusen
Eintracht Frankfurt
Monchengladbach
Yeah it is wild. And a lot of them paid pretty big fees for the new coaches. Dortmund paid for Rose; Gladbach paid for Hutter. It's a shame this League doesn't care about winning.
deadbq03
AG
Supposedly Tottenham is reaching out to Marsch now that Nagelsmann is off the table.
deadbq03
AG
In CBS I trust:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/jesse-marsch-to-rb-leipzig-american-coach-set-to-replace-nagelsmann-at-bundesliga-contender-per-reports/
Legal Custodian
AG
Leipzig taken to ET by Werder in the Pokal.
Legal Custodian
AG
And just like that Leipzig take the lead 2 minutes into ET
Legal Custodian
AG
And a Bremen equalizes in stoppage time
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, what an ET!
deadbq03
AG
I absolutely lost my **** on Forsberg's goal.

As I said on the USMNT thread, Bremen clearly played really well this game, but Leipzig were also unlucky.
deadbq03
AG
Trying hard not to get ahead of myself, but can you imagine the drama surrounding the Super Cup if it's Bayern v. Leipzig?
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Trying hard not to get ahead of myself, but can you imagine the drama surrounding the Super Cup if it's Bayern v. Leipzig?

Didn't even think about that, would be great TV.
Legal Custodian
AG
FC Bayern! Deutscher Meister!
Legal Custodian
AG
Lewy needs two more to break the record
Ferg
Great week for Dortmund. Won the German Cup on Thursday and locked up a slot in the Champions League(for next season) Today.
deadbq03
AG
Leipzig 1-1-3 since Bayern hired Nagelsmann.

Next year can't get here fast enough.
Legal Custodian
AG
Fun year that had the table pretty close till the last 1.5 months or so. Lots of coaching changes for the coming season will be interesting to see what shakes out.

Predictions for next season as of today (could change based upon transfers):

Bundesliga Champion:
Borussia Dortmund

Pokal Champion:
Bayern Munich

Top 4:
Dortmund
Bayern
Frankfurt
RB Leipzig

I also think Mainz finishes top 6. They had a hell of a run to close the season.

My predictions will change mightily if Dortmund guts their team. But I think they see a window here to get a trophy and maybe they only sell Sancho and call it good and use that money to get a decent wingback or CDM. If that happens, I see them making a huge run next year.

My team, FCB, will take a step back next season. I think Muller starts to show his age a bit and our backline will hurt not having Boateng or Alaba helping out. Upamecano will help for sure and it helps he knows how Nagelsmann likes to play. I think it'll be a shaky start that I'm not sure we'd be able to climb out of if Dortmund holds the form that I think they're capable of.
Legal Custodian
AG
On the other hand, we could start a healthy lineup of Coman, Gnabry, Lewandowski, Kimmich, Davies, Upamecano, and Goretzka. (although I think we sell Coman). And that doesn't mention Sane, Muller, Neuer, Musiala, or Pavard.

So Bayern could absolutely just dominate and win their 10th straight which I would be completely happy with.
Rudyjax
AG
WTF happened to Werder? They were 3-4 spots clear from relegation most season.

deadbq03
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

WTF happened to Werder? They were 3-4 spots clear from relegation most season.

They got bitten pretty hard by injuries IIRC.
Legal Custodian
AG
These were their last 10 matches and those teams table finish:

Bayern (champion)
Wolfsburg (4th)
Stuttgart (9th)
Leipzig (2nd)
Dortmund (3rd)
Mainz (finished 12th but probably the hottest team in the Bundesliga in the last two months)
Union Berlin (7th)
Leverkusen (6th)
Augsburg (only team they should have beat)
Monchengladbach (8th)

That's a really tough stretch. They managed 1 point (draw against Leverkusen). They needed only three to survive. Their run of play the last three seasons was terrible and it surprised me they weren't relegated last year. This was their comeupins for sure but I would argue they looked better this year than the prior two.

Sounds like they'll sell Sargent in the summer which is good.
Legal Custodian
AG
Their last match against Koln they drew 1-1 on a late equalizer by Koln. If they could have held that also would have kept them in the playoff spot.
deadbq03
AG
I think Bayern will go through some growing pains with Nagelsmann. I think he was a good choice, but he's also a bit stubborn and loves to fit square pegs into round holes. Over time, it worked well at Leipzig, but I didn't like him at all the first 10 weeks or so... I worry with older players at Bayern, they might push back more against his system. I see potential for a busy winter transfer window - selling guys that don't fit and grabbing some who will. All that said, there's virtually zero chance Bayern fall out of the Top 3 even on a transition year, especially considering so many other teams will have new coaches.

Leipzig could certainly have even worse of a time transitioning. Given all the uncertainty right now, I'd be happy if Leipzig can stay Top 4 next year.
Legal Custodian
AG
PascalsWager said:

Bayern Munich II (the Bayern JV team) finished 1st in 3. Liga (the German third division). They'd probably be IN the bundesliga finishing top 7 if league rules allowed it.

The Bundesliga is the least ambitious of the big 5 leagues. The purpose of televised, professional sports in Germany appears to be something other than winning. As such, I cannot recommend it as an entertainment product.

As long as the 50+1 rules exists, I won't watch this farce and neither should you!

Just FYI, FC Bayern II got relegated to the Regionaliga. Do you still hold to this line of thinking?
deadbq03
AG
Konate to Liverpool seems like a done deal.

Jesse Marsch is gonna have a lot of money to go get players he wants this summer. Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.