2020 Schedule is Out

14,235 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by blake2003
littlebitofhifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redd38 said:

Another year of Lopez!

This was exactly my thought!!
TRM
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That's going to cause a scholarship and numbers backlog. They only get so many and rely on seniors leaving to free up spots for the next incoming class
The good seniors get to return next year and the fish, soph, and jr JAGs get cut to get under the limit assuming non-revenue sports don't have to cut their budget & scholarship numbers further from the loss of football revenue.
BQ_90
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That's going to cause a scholarship and numbers backlog. They only get so many and rely on seniors leaving to free up spots for the next incoming class
And further put athletic departments in the hole with more expenses.

Be prepared for non rev. sports around the country to get axed.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it'll just end up causing a bunch of upperclassmen to get trapdoored. Which sucks for them, but it's sort of unavoidable.
Mathguy64
AG
What the NCAA needs to do is increase both the scholarship limit and the maximum roster size appropriately in all of these fall sports to give schools the flexibility to allow seniors the opportunity to return while still recruiting the incoming freshman class for next season.

Of course we are talking about the NCAA. And that group is only slightly smarter than US Soccer when it comes to making policies and procedures.
TRM
AG
They could do that, but the non-revenue sports' budgets are being cut anyway, so there's no point in adding scholarships if there is no money. NCAA acts like the bad guy, but it gives the AD and coaches cover for the tough decisions they had to make.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd be willing to bet that was discussed, and that a bunch of the members of the committee said my school/my conferences's schools can't afford to do that, so it wouldn't help us.

There's competitive balance problems with that type of policy. Not just between conferences but within conferences. UNC might happily give out every soccer scholarship it can get, but that might not be true for some other ACC schools, for example.
TXAggie2011
AG
Expanding the roster size some moderate number might be something that is more widely doable.

Then, given the availability of partial scholarships, schools can attempt, at least, to find ways to spread out the pain and get some scholarship money to as many athletes as they can.
Expert Analysis
AG
Did you get mask for being a season ticket holder or part of the soccer club?
redd38
AG
It didn't specifically say, but if you're a season ticket holder and not an Aggie Soccer Club member and didn't get the masks then it was probably for club members.

But they sent me 4 of them, so you can have one if you want.
sutton93
AG
Is there any update on a season or having fans?
redd38
AG
Not really, if there are games I expect them to have fans. Even if they only allowed 30% capacity that's still 1000 fans, which I think is fine (more than most schools get at women's soccer in a regular year anyway).

I saw that NCAA is trying to have the championship in the spring, not sure how that affects us unless ACC moves to the spring. Otherwise its a pretty meaningless championship, regardless of when they have it (without having Pac12 and ACC it's just a random tournament, not a championship). I know G has always favored a two semester schedule for soccer, I wonder if he's trying to make that happen at all this year. It would kinda be the best of both worlds, get to start playing now and finish in the spring to participate in the tournament. If there is ever a time to pull that off, it's this year.
sutton93
AG
Any timetable that you heard on making a decision?
redd38
AG
If anything other than the current plans are going to happen then it almost certainly has to happen within 2 weeks, 3 at the very most. Any change after that would just be to cancel the season.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Might be old news but I just noticed on the schedule page that there's a link on each home game for Tickets starting at $60 which leads you to the season ticket page. I'm hoping that means fans will be allowed but likely season ticket holders only? That should easily keep things under capacity requirements and would be an easy way to manage.

Fingers crossed...I need me some Aggie soccer this year!!
texasaggie04
AG
BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Anybody have an idea how many seniors would stick around another year? I think this is very different from football where a player could stay another year to improve draft eligibility (although this year there might be fewer entering the draft). The soccer team, for the most part, are not going to professional sports after this. I'd think if they finish their degree, they'll move on.
TRM
AG
Way too early for that. No idea yet if anyone leaves the team,injuries, budget cuts, etc. Seniors are Lopez, McCain, Zeimer, and Smith.
Mathguy64
AG
My soon to be daughter-in-law lost her senior season. She plays at a D3 school and is graduating in December.
BQ_90
AG
texasaggie04 said:

BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Anybody have an idea how many seniors would stick around another year? I think this is very different from football where a player could stay another year to improve draft eligibility (although this year there might be fewer entering the draft). The soccer team, for the most part, are not going to professional sports after this. I'd think if they finish their degree, they'll move on.
well how many non rev sports athletes stick around in the summer and take classes, how many graduate in 4 years. I would think very few. So if they are allowed a 5th year, the AD has to pick up that expense that normally they wouldn't.
Mathguy64
AG
BQ_90 said:

texasaggie04 said:

BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

well how many non rev sports athletes stick around in the summer and take classes, how many graduate in 4 years. I would think very few. So if they are allowed a 5th year, the AD has to pick up that expense that normally they wouldn't.
I think thats hard wired in the system. They have 5 years to play 4.
redd38
AG
From the article in the new sticky thread:

Quote:

The SEC also plans to conduct soccer and volleyball competition in the spring. The formats of those seasons will depend on final decisions by the NCAA regarding spring championships.

So we'll play our 8 conference games in the Fall, then non-conference only in the Spring to qualify for the NCAA tournament? I had pondered that idea previously in this thread, but now that it's a real possibility I wonder if it will affect how future seasons are scheduled.
redd38
AG
redd38 said:

From the article in the new sticky thread:

Quote:

The SEC also plans to conduct soccer and volleyball competition in the spring. The formats of those seasons will depend on final decisions by the NCAA regarding spring championships.

So we'll play our 8 conference games in the Fall, then non-conference only in the Spring to qualify for the NCAA tournament? I had pondered that idea previously in this thread, but now that it's a real possibility I wonder if it will affect how future seasons are scheduled.

Actual, G said in the interview in the other sticky thread that he thinks we'll play the other 5 conference teams in the Spring, possibly in addition to some regional non-con.

He also said the roster is 23 players but the website shows 24, not sure if he just misspoke.
redd38
AG
Wow, an ACC team can't even field a team

mullokmotx
AG
Watched the interview with the NCSU coach. They had some international players not come in and some injuries. I remember about 4 years ago when we only had 3 or 4 subs available for some games.
I'm interested to see what bracket the SEC comes up with for a 14 team conference tournament with each team playing at least 2 games.
Rambotx
Hidden,

Any update now that the Fall schedule will be 8 matchs SEC only with SEC Tournament in Orange Beach at the end?
ScottishFire
AG
This guy needs to come recruit down in Texas. There are hundreds of good soccer girls, that go to small colleges every year because they don't get a good D1 offer.
Obviously they are not top 40 D1 program in the country good, but they would love to play, help your program compete, and freaking show up.
redd38
AG
New schedule should be out this week, so tomorrow or Friday I'm guessing
redd38
AG
I can't believe we don't have the new schedule yet, but it's apparently dropping tomorrow at 6pm on SEC Now. A mere week and a half before the first game.
HiddenAg2
I imagine the Soccer Ops folks will be scrambling to get travel plans in place once the schedule comes out. Pretty crazy to wait this long to release it.
redd38
AG
Sep 19 @ Ole Miss
Sep 27 Auburn
Oct 04 @ Arkansas
Oct 11 Florida
Oct 16 Mississippi St
Oct 23 @ Tennessee
Oct 30 @ Alabama
Nov 06 LSU
redd38
AG
So we lost South Carolina and @ Georgia
CDub06
AG
IT WILL BE RAINING CONFETTI ON SEPTEMBER 27TH
mullokmotx
AG
This will be an opportunity to grow the sport with games on the SEC Network. There are 4 games Saturday, September 19, before men's football starts, and the start times are 2 hours apart, I assume for TV purposes.
What is interesting is that after the first weekend there are 8 more games on Saturdays and normally there are never any games on a Saturday.
jeffk
AG
What's the fan capacity situation here for games? Or it that still yet undecided?
mullokmotx
AG
I think it will be 25% across the conference. Some schools don't charge so I guess they will have counters at the entrance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.